Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomach bug flu ;-(

What to do???

I am so sick! It started with what i thought was regular flu and now i am running for the toilet every now and then and painful!

Have any of you had the stomach bug after surgery? What meds could you take?

I don't want to go to the pharmacy as most people in South Africa are extremely uneducated about weight loss surgery and they will probably give something that is bad for my pouch and not even realise it.

That is why i much rather ask your advice.

If you have names available, can you perhaps also state the main ingredient? Cause i have found that all your meds have different names here in South Africa oi and it frustrates me when I read about something on here and nope, not available in my country!

Please if you dont mind. Otherwise any home remedy. As i am terribly sick with fever and tummy running and i am taking no meds whatsoever, really suffering ;-(

That's so cool! I mean that you're in Africa not that you have stomach flu, of course!

I would suggest drinking Camille tea or mint tea to settle the pouch. Don't think any dairy today. Drink Water base Protein. And I can't eat crackers so I would eat toast. Something in there to help settle.

I don't know of over the counter meds that would help that would be available in your neck of the woods :)

Surgery date 7/25/12

Hahhaa Jen ;-) i an totally in the woods here ;-) i read of awesome stuff like powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein foods and shakes nope none if that.

Tylenol for pain? Nope none of that!

Quite a struggle! Buy Ive managed up until now. 51 pounds down and 2 months preop.

Just this damn stomach bug!! But good idea about the toast. That might work yes! Forgot about that. Used to have that preop life when i got the stomach bug, but havent thought of it as i rarely eat bread.< /p>

Going to give it a try now ;-) thanks!

Sorry i meant 2 months POST-op!

Yeah it sucks we can't have real meds for immediate gratification.

Hope you feel better soon :)

Surgery date 7/25/12

Ginger helps some (such as flattens out ginger ale...) everything else I'm aware of requires a prescription. Sorry :( feel well soon!!!!

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 212

I dont know if you've happened upon or read my previous posts but at 5 weeks post op, I suddenly got what I thought was a stomach bug. It lasted 2 weeks. I did not go to the doctor because I am out of town. It was awful and I probably should have gone to the ER several times for IV Fluids (dehydration). When I did some further research, I found a trend of RNY patients getting same thing 5-8 weeks post op. Unsure if it was a real stomach bug or if it was related to the RNY. But it's passed! Thank god!

Oh my goodness Cherry!

I am glad it has passed for you!

I am deadly sick. Every 15 mins i get the most terrible cramps. It is truly ghastly. And the runny tummy ;-(

I've had stomach flu before in my life, but it never felt as horrible as this.

What did you do to ease the pain?

Of course at the moment i am not getting any of my supplements in. Of course scarcely eating. This is really crap!!!

I wonder what causes it. And why this trend. And whether it is something we should worry about. I really think they should warn patients about this beforehand. Just so one knows. Jeez. I am so moody and grumpy and this stage! Just wish it could all go away!

Obeasta, be sue you don't get dehydrated, Hon.I would call your doc tomorrow just to make sure youre ok. Maybe try bananas, applesauce, toast? Is there any medicine there with bismuth? Here it's called pepto- bismol.

Obeasta, be sue you don't get dehydrated, Hon.I would call your doc tomorrow just to make sure youre ok. Maybe try bananas, applesauce, toast? Is there any medicine there with bismuth? Here it's called pepto- bismol.