Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how do you deal with emotions without food?

I am feeling anxious and sad all at the same time and I just want to eat. I have to maintain if not increase my pre op weight loss. I haven't had surgery yet' date=' but is this what it's like post op? How do others deal with this? Please help.[/quote']

I know exactly how you feel. I haven't had my surgery yet either. I have to loose 34 pounds and and I'm only down 9 so far. Its so hard to deal with emotions right now. I snap out and yell alot. I'm trying to find ways to deal with it but it's a struggle everyday. Hopefully this will pass. If I have a big fit I will eat some ice it seems to calm me down. It's crazy how food will make you feel. Good and bad all at once...

The first post op month I had a lot of cravings. And a lot of emotional upheavals. I hat a lot of anxiety that made me want tp eat.

It is hard when you have your vices taken away. I quit smoking in febuary and three months later I haf my food taken away as well. The first month id the hardest. You slowly learn to cope and have other outlets. When I feel anxious now I go for a walk or swim or take a nap or bubble bath. Its a struggle but it is worth it

After you have surgery and you try and eat out of emotions you'll most likely you'll eat the wrong thing and dump. It'll only take one or 2 times before you learn that emotional eating ain't worth it and your desire will go away.

~Leticia **HW: 259**PreOp: 216**SURG: 3/21/13 **Discharged @: 221** 3 mons post op. CW: 165.0 lbs. --- Only 15 lbs to my goal ---

After you have surgery and you try and eat out of emotions you'll most likely you'll eat the wrong thing and dump. It'll only take one or 2 times before you learn that emotional eating ain't worth it and your desire will go away.

~Leticia **HW: 259**PreOp: 216**SURG: 3/21/13 **Discharged @: 221** 3 mons post op. CW: 165.0 lbs. --- Only 15 lbs to my goal ---

I have yet to eat a food that makes me dump, but I also haven't tried any that would. My biggest problem isn't emotional eating, it's wanting to eat when I'm bored. Good thing I have this forum and all of you! I'm grateful, you all are great!

For reasons that I'm not sure anyone can fully explain' date=' the way you're feeling pre-op and the way you'll feel post-op are dramatically different. For several weeks and up to a couple of months post-op, you are likely to have little or no appetite at all. I found it to be quite amazing and bizarre at the same time. Lol. Everything changes post-op. The first few weeks are challenging but it gets better, MUCH better, before you know it.

food is an addiction not unlike drugs or alcohol in many ways. Your body and your mind are missing that "fix" and in response your emotions take you on a roller coaster ride. When you're feeling sad, discouraged, frustrated, angry or any other negative emotion - reach for a better feeling thought. Focus your thoughts on feeling a little better. It may not be a lot, but it will be enough. Because when you feel just a little better, other better feeling thoughts will come - seemingly from nowhere. With a little practice and before you know it, reaching for that better feeling thought becomes second nature and the results are quite amazing.

So "I'm really hungry" becomes "I know I'm doing the right thing for myself, my family, and my health". Better. "I'm nervous about my upcoming surgery" becomes "I am so thankful that I have been given this opportunity to overcome this disease once and for all". Better. "Why is this so hard" becomes "I have read so many success stories - if they can do it, so can I". Better.

You're gonna love the new you!![/quote']

After surgery eating is very different. Your tastebuds change, and after eating good, healthy food for several months, my tastes have changed completely. I had a bite of my son's McDonalds Breakfast sandwich, and it tasted like chemicals! I spit it out right away. I now crave fresh fruit more than anything.

I was never an emotional eater. I was a bored eater so the heavier I got, the more I sat on the couch, the more I ate, the heavier I got, etc. My issue was more that once I started eating I couldn't stop. I was a carb addict - literally. I actually go through withdrawal when I stop eating sugar and other bad carbs (flu-like symptoms like headache, severe body aches). It's amazing now, food doesn't control my life. I don't crave sweets or other 'bad' foods. I can pass up sweets with no longing whatsoever. Rather than binging I'm eating very small amounts, eating some of what's on my small plate, and then throwing out the rest. I can't believe it's me actually throwing away food!

I don't miss those foods yet, and hope I never will. Would you miss someone who hurt you for years when they're finally gone from your life? The foods I used to eat weren't good to me - why would I miss them? I feel more in control. I'm slowly increasing my walking, my back pain is improving some so I have hopes of it going away altogether someday. I'm doing more with my family. I'm painting again. I'm walking my overweight little dachshund more. Now that he's being more active he's losing weight too. The future is looking brighter now. :-) :-) :-)

It will be pretty easy the first 6 months die to all the restrictions you have, the need to chew etc. it will become a lot more challenging past the first two years.

Looking into your eating issues now will benefit you greatly. It will be about you and food again.

It will be pretty easy the first 6 months die to all the restrictions you have' date=' the need to chew etc. it will become a lot more challenging past the first two years.

Looking into your eating issues now will benefit you greatly. It will be about you and food again.[/quote']

For me, ongoing counseling is key. I have an addictive personality, and I have to examine the reason behind using food as a substance like alcohol and drugs.

It will be pretty easy the first 6 months die to all the restrictions you have' date=' the need to chew etc. it will become a lot more challenging past the first two years.

Looking into your eating issues now will benefit you greatly. It will be about you and food again.[/quote']

Good point. I'm thinking because my eating started with boredom (and exhaustion - birth of twins), becoming more active and picking up old and beloved hobbies will prevent me from going back to my old self-destructive ways.

Definitely, recognizing the cause of your eating issues and learning how to conquer or avoid them now will ensure continued success in the future. :-)

I have yet to eat a food that makes me dump' date=' but I also haven't tried any that would. My biggest problem isn't emotional eating, it's wanting to eat when I'm bored. Good thing I have this forum and all of you! I'm grateful, you all are great![/quote']

I haven't had my surgery yet but I am a bored eater as well. I watch tv and eat. I've done this my whole life. My mom would cook and we would sit in front of the tv eating our fried chicken. My whole family on my mother's side is over weight. No one has done nothing about it. I'm the first to take a stand. I dont want my daughter to be over weight. Even if she is adopted.

I have always just been an eater! i ate when I was bored, happy, sad, anxious.... all the time! I ate in private so people wouldnt see me...and what i ate. I ate with my family... fast foods, very fat foods and never a veggie or fruit.

I have had a few (maybe 4-5) bouts of "I just gotta eat something really bad to feel better" since surgery.... and oddly enough once I got what I thought I wanted, sat and looked at it .. I just didnt really want it anymore!

I used to eat something fast food on my way to work everyday, and just today I went through the drive thru and ordered a McChicken biscut....and put it on the seat beside me, still in the bag, and never ate it.... ended up giving it to a coworker. I drank a Protein Drink on my way to work instead! My habits are SO much better now, but some days the old ones creep in and take over for a minute.... but thankfully I just dont need any of that anymore. But I have to be careful and mindful of what I am doing....

I have always just been an eater! i ate when I was bored' date=' happy, sad, anxious.... all the time! I ate in private so people wouldnt see me...and what i ate. I ate with my family... fast foods, very fat foods and never a veggie or fruit.< p>I have had a few (maybe 4-5) bouts of "I just gotta eat something really bad to feel better" since surgery.... and oddly enough once I got what I thought I wanted, sat and looked at it .. I just didnt really want it anymore!

I used to eat something fast food on my way to work everyday, and just today I went through the drive thru and ordered a McChicken biscut....and put it on the seat beside me, still in the bag, and never ate it.... ended up giving it to a coworker. I drank a Protein drink on my way to work instead! My habits are SO much better now, but some days the old ones creep in and take over for a minute.... but thankfully I just dont need any of that anymore. But I have to be careful and mindful of what I am doing....[/quote']

Its good to know that the cravings will not be bad after surgery. I'm so scared of failure. I slipped up last night and made a pizza. I ate 2 and a half slices which wad actually good because I could eat a while pizza. I realized last night I am a stess eater also. I had 4 Foster kids placed with me Friday and it has been a rough weekend. Hopefully things will get better.

And I thought I was the only one who ate alone. I would eat all night long when no one was around. I'm learning to control myself. It's hard its something I've never had to do.

After surgery eating is very different. Your tastebuds change' date=' and after eating good, healthy food for several months, my tastes have changed completely. I had a bite of my son's McDonalds Breakfast sandwich, and it tasted like chemicals! I spit it out right away. I now crave fresh fruit more than anything.[/quote']

That's all I crave too - fresh fruit and vegetables. I'd love a salad but sadly im a little less than five weeks out.

That's all I crave too - fresh fruit and vegetables. I'd love a salad but sadly im a little less than five weeks out.

I'm glad to know that change is coming. Because right now I crave any and everything! I'm struggling with these 34 pounds. I think I'm down about 10 pounds so far. I really need this surgery. I feel like if I don't get it I'm going to die.