Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soy Protein Suggestions & Soy for Thyroid

Hello,

I had RNY on 02/06/2013, lately I have noticed everytime I drink my Protein shakes I have a hot flash within 30 mins of eating, its quite uncomfortable. I have also noticed having night sweats. Doing some research into whey Protein its common on some other boards. They state that whey can make your hormones off, I am not quite sure if this is the case. I have an appointment on the 6th of June with the RNY Doc, so I hope I can figure it all out before then. Have any of you gone through Hot Flashes after eating?

Concerned that it is the Whey I am looking into Soy Protein. Do you have any suggestions on a good Soy Protein Product?

I guess I just want to be on the safe side before I start a product. Last questions, does anyone know if taking Soy will affect my Thyroid? or how it affect the Thyroid?

Any advice is much welcomed.

Thanks all,

Tara

I have hypothyroid and I try to avoid soy as much as possible. I get a very informative newsletter from a doctor. It's Mary Shomon M.D. and she has hypothyroid (Hashimoto's). She has found in herself and in quite a few patients that soy can adversely effect how we process our medication and can cause absorption issues. Soy is considered a goitrogen, which means that it can cause swelling of the thyroid and can slow thyroid function. She has a newsletter from About com and she has quite a few books that are really helpful and informative. Her info actually helped me research and talk to my doctor about upping my medication and adding an additional medication that has helped me feel better. I have her Thyroid Diet Revolution book and it helped me get my eating in line while I've been waiting to get surgery.

If you want to read some of this info just Google soy and the thyroid. It will take you to a very informative article on how soy effects us people with thyroid issues.

Try the egg one maybe? I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis *body is killing my thyroid the stupid twit, I honestly think my body frakking hates me* Anyway, I avoid soy. It slows down your thyroid.

I'm pretty sure that's what the article will tell you. Also, as soon as I wake up, on an empty stomach, I chew up my synthroid. My levels have been way better since I started chewing, not swallowing the pill whole.

Wow I have hashimoto took....nobody ever told me about soy.

Wow I have hashimoto took....nobody ever told me about soy.

Soy hurts the absorption of the meds and also slows it down. I love lots of soy products, but I majorly limit myself. Also, you have to take your thyroid med at least 2 hours away from any supplements. Calcium and Vitamins also block the absorption of Synthroid.

Soy hurts the absorption of the meds and also slows it down. I love lots of soy products, but I majorly limit myself. Also, you have to take your thyroid med at least 2 hours away from any supplements. Calcium and Vitamins also block the absorption of Synthroid.

Yes Nel, trying to figure out when to take all my bariatric supplements after surgery was kind of a major undertaking. Can't take Iron or calcium close together or the calcium won't absorb. Can't take either anywhere near my levothyroxine because then my thyroid meds won't work right. Ughh... so I have to do calcium chews late in the day and take the rest of my Vitamins at night. That little pill is a pain in the booty!

Totally. I hate that pill. I reach over and grab it and chew as soon as the alarm goes off. I then shower, get dressed and start the other supplements at least 2 hours later. It sucks.

Wow! No endocrinologist ever told me Any of this...no nut either! Thanks!

Mine has jump started again. But i switched to tirosint. Its a amber colored gel pill that my endro is now having me use. I try to stay away from all soy. But one day my levels are up and the next week they are down. Last week my hair dresser found ten bald Patchs, i only get three or for when its off. So i freaked a little.

HW 358 SW 344 CW 286 RNY 4/11/13<br />

Hello' date='

I had RNY on 02/06/2013, lately I have noticed everytime I drink my Protein shakes I have a hot flash within 30 mins of eating, its quite uncomfortable. I have also noticed having night sweats. Doing some research into whey Protein its common on some other boards. They state that Whey can make your hormones off, I am not quite sure if this is the case. I have an appointment on the 6th of June with the RNY Doc, so I hope I can figure it all out before then. Have any of you gone through Hot Flashes after eating?

Concerned that it is the Whey I am looking into Soy Protein. Do you have any suggestions on a good Soy Protein Product?

I guess I just want to be on the safe side before I start a product. Last questions, does anyone know if taking Soy will affect my Thyroid? or how it affect the Thyroid?

Any advice is much welcomed.

Thanks all,

Tara[/quote']

I can only use soy. GNC sells av really good one .and only 3 grams of sugar and 25 gms protein per 130 cals for the chocolate and vanilla.

Preop weight 389 current weight 333 lost to date 56lbs rny 6/11/13

Yes, soy can affect your thyroid....I have Hashimoto thyroditis and soy is a big no no.