Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

We moved this past year from Colorado to Arizona, my nurse/nutritionist at my previous doctor's office said that we could only take bariatric Vitamins like Bariatric Advantage for RNY. My current nutritionist says that taking Flinstones are ok, so I am confused. I asked my doctor and he said Flinstones, but didn't state the amount....Everything I read online says childrens Vitamins are not ok and I would have to take 4 daily.

I am trying to make the most of my RNY on 02/06/2013 and some of my Vitamin levels are on the low side, but I don't want to have to pay for just a name. I don't mind spending the money if the bariatric vitamins are indeed better. I am just curious what vitamins you are taking and how many per day. ASMBS has some guidelines but its a lot of number crunching, not that I am trying to avoid it, its just a little confusing. Here is the link http://s3.amazonaws.com/publicASMBS/GuidelinesStatements/Guidelines/bgs_final.pdf

I just want to be prepared for my next visit with the doctor to discuss my options and to do what will be best for my body. Any suggestions or comments are welcome :D

Thanks,

Tara

Went to a Seminar last night and the question about Multivitamins came up. What they (two of the doctors were there) stated OTC were okay except you have to take more of them. Baratric Vitamins are actually more concentrated, where you don't have to take as many and are also made specifically for the malabsorption that we experience with bypass. Don't know if this is actually true or not, but don't think they were trying to sell theirs as stated something about Amazon. Hope this helps.

I was told that two Flintstone complete chewables a day is good. Go for follow up tomorrow and will then be put on all the other Vitamins I'll need. B12, Calcium and such.

I was told that 2 Flinestone Vitamins twice a day is all I needed. I had my 3 month post op last week and my labs were all perfect. I actually bought the Walmart version of Flinestones and obviously they are working for me.

I was told that two Flintstone complete chewables a day is good. Go for follow up tomorrow and will then be put on all the other Vitamins I'll need. B12' date=' Calcium and such.[/quote']

Hey Dorian,

I am having a very hard time with my BARATRIC fusion berry Vitamins , have always had issues with vitamins in general , I get very sick to my stomach and nauseated , and can't really eat b4 them because of been so sick ?? May be a combination of them (4 aday) plus my daily BP meds , thyroid meds?? Really struggling , so my question is, did u have bypass and they said Flintstone's chewable is ok with it? Being a previous lapband patient I had taken a prenatal Vitamin and seperate calicium chews & B 12 which I adjusted to well?? I wonder if I could use that method and it be good for me? Will take any advice you can offer!! Glad your good and wish you continued success

Jannyb35

Hey Dorian' date='

I am having a very hard time with my BARATRIC fusion berry Vitamins , have always had issues with Vitamins in general , I get very sick to my stomach and nauseated , and can't really eat b4 them because of been so sick ?? May be a combination of them (4 aday) plus my daily BP meds , thyroid meds?? Really struggling , so my question is, did u have bypass and they said Flintstone's chewable is ok with it? Being a previous lapband patient I had taken a prenatal Vitamin and seperate calicium chews & B 12 which I adjusted to well?? I wonder if I could use that method and it be good for me? Will take any advice you can offer!! Glad your good and wish you continued success

Jannyb35[/quote']

I talked to the dr yesterday and he said two flinstone completes are great. I will also start my B12, calcium citrate (if I don't drink or eat enough calcium), and Vitamin d3. He said Iron but the Flinstones have Iron so I think I'm good.

I talked to the dr yesterday and he said two flinstone completes are great. I will also start my b12' date=' calcium citrate (if I don't drink or eat enough calcium), and Vitamin d3. He said Iron but the Flinstones have Iron so I think I'm good.[/quote']

Gonna get me some Flintstone's & try them !! How far out are you? Have you done the Flintstone's from day 1 ? I also am having severe issues with nausea , threw up 4 times yesterday for the first time, and I'm 16 days out!! I was out of Zofran and had takin some OTC nausea meds, which I never realized had fructose , hytrose, all the sugary things that can trigger dumping, also having trouble with my milk, have only used skim fat free so far, but I think it's part of it?? Input on all fronts welcomed!!

I am supposed to start taking the calcium citrate w/ magnesium now before my surgery and am trying to find a reasonable place to buy them. A lot of places require you take two at a time which isn't a savings and I also have to take a multi Vitamin plus 2 Vitamin D a day so any info would be appreciated! THANKS!

Gonna get me some Flintstone's & try them !! How far out are you? Have you done the Flintstone's from day 1 ? I also am having severe issues with nausea ' date=' threw up 4 times yesterday for the first time, and I'm 16 days out!! I was out of Zofran and had takin some OTC nausea meds, which I never realized had fructose , hytrose, all the sugary things that can trigger dumping, also having trouble with my milk, have only used skim fat free so far, but I think it's part of it?? Input on all fronts welcomed!![/quote']

I'm two and a half weeks out. I started Flintstones before surgery. I'm sorry you have nausea, I have never had it and I'm glad! I also have no problem with milk, so I really don't have advice on what to do there. Good luck getting help. It's great when you feel good!

Hey Dorian' date='

I am having a very hard time with my BARATRIC fusion berry Vitamins , have always had issues with Vitamins in general , I get very sick to my stomach and nauseated , and can't really eat b4 them because of been so sick ?? May be a combination of them (4 aday) plus my daily BP meds , thyroid meds?? Really struggling , so my question is, did u have bypass and they said Flintstone's chewable is ok with it? Being a previous lapband patient I had taken a prenatal Vitamin and seperate calicium chews & B 12 which I adjusted to well?? I wonder if I could use that method and it be good for me? Will take any advice you can offer!! Glad your good and wish you continued success

Jannyb35[/quote']

I'm on the fusion also and I'm switching. With my two thyroid meds and others four pills a day makes it hard to juggle.

HW 358 SW 344 CW 319 GOAL 200 surgery 4/11/13

It's funny how different surgeons say different things. I was told under no circumstances should an RNY patient use flintstones Vitamins. I was told bariatric vits or Centrum silver (or its generic equivalent). Not using flintstones complete had something to do with ASMBS guidelines for bariatric patients. Here's also a write up about it .. http://wlsvitagarten.com/2011/01/16/guest-post-whats-the-fuss-about-flintstones

I personally take Centrum silver.

I got a 3 month supply from opuity for all Vitamins needed for about 70 dollars. I haven't tried them yet but I did nibble on the mvi and it tasted good.

It's funny how different surgeons say different things. I was told under no circumstances should an RNY patient use flintstones Vitamins. I was told bariatric vits or Centrum silver (or its generic equivalent). Not using flintstones complete had something to do with ASMBS guidelines for bariatric patients. Here's also a write up about it .. http://wlsvitagarten.com/2011/01/16/guest-post-whats-the-fuss-about-flintstones

I personally take Centrum silver.

Interesting information. Thanks for posting. There are so many different guidelines. I think there should be a universal protocol for this so we would all be on the same page! I will continue with what my surgeon says is ok. He has done hundreds of operations and I trust his knowledge. It is everyones choice I guess.