Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

looking for support

Hey Korngirl23

Are you getting ready for surgery? What stage are you at?

I had my surgery on 2/20/13 and down 45 lbs 9 weeks out. For me it was painless and effortless. I have a high pain tolerance and heal quickly.

I clicked on your post because of the title and laughed when I hit your page because you are from Bellingham. I grew up in Bham. Small world. I live near DC now. Just changed on WA for another :)

Hope I can help you through the process. Ask away!

Choosethewrench :) (It means take the hard road)

Hey...I am 5 years post op and have hit a wall. I have a 17 month old who was born with nutritional issues due to my surgery. I can eat anything i want now which is a big problem. I was 345 the day of surgery....got down to 250...couldnt kick it...got pregnant...went to 280...now i am back to 250. I had no support or follow up with anyone after my surgery. I am sad and frustrated. Bellingham is a great place to live. How are things going for you? Whats your story?

You have a busy life with a 17 month old, my oldest will be 17 YEARS in 2 weeks! :)

I have 2 boys 15 and 17. I hope the nutritional issues arent serious. I am sure it keeps you busy though. Do you have local support or family?

Bellingham is beautiful. My husband is from Ferndale and we both have not lived in Whatcom County since we were 21. He is military and we traveled a lot and found wonderful places, enjoy the sunshine and have made friends everywhere. We think we will settle down in Atlanta. I cant do the 60 days of sunshine a year in the NW ;)

5 years and 95lbs down! That is a success. Always looking at the positives.

The bummer is the "eat whatever you want" issue. I listened to a lot of people talk about what they could and couldnt eat after bypass. It scared me. I have no desire to eat sugar and the small amounts of fats I get in make me feel low so I dont do them. I am still having the issue of not wanting ANYTHING to eat. I am just not hungry. I know this wears off so I pay close attention to meals. I make sure I eat 3 meals a day but still cant get up past 500 calories (I should be heading towards 1000) :(

I work out a good bit too. I think the best strategy to kick start yourself back into shape would be:

1. walk with your baby at least once a day (to get started)

2. its beat like a dead horse--but REALLY focus on not drinking 1/2 hr before or after food.

3. solid food. I try to eat the tuna/salmon first (all of it) then I get to the veggies and then if there is room that cracker or mashpotato. In that order.

4. Damn the liquids!! I have YET to master drinking 64 oz a day but I strive for it!

I am something of a workaholic so I forget to drink often (eventhough I sit at a desk). There are some super cool places in Bham to walk. The weather is getting better so thats good.

What section of town are you in? Did you go to BHS? I did (1988 grad--did I just date myself :)

Baby. Hmmm. Thats tough. Whats going on there? Do you have to create a time consuming special diet for her? Does it take you off track -- putting yourself up front. Its a fine line to balance our babies and ourselves.

Your pic is beautiful and you look wonderful. Don't dwell on the parts of the last 5 years that have dragged you away from your initial goals. Find the best parts and move them forward -- i.e Baby, loss of #30 after a loss of #95 originally...try the 4 steps above for ONE day...challenge yourself to fit it into the day.

I let the last 9 days go without taking my Vitamins...eating well or drinking well because I have been working on my son's school play (set construction) for the past 2 weeks and I was sick the last 5 days...felt fine this morning but low and behold...here comes the head cold now!!! This is what happens when I neglect my rules!

Talk soon,

Hey,

What is your real name? I am Tara, and its very nice to be talking to you. I wasent sure about this group but it is nice to know that there is someone out there that cares. My daughter was born in Nov....I was 39 weeks and was induced because my doctor diddnt want me to go passed that because my daughter wasent growing. I was 24 hours of labor and then a c section. She spent 2 weeks in the special care nursery because she wasent feeding well. When she was there they discovered a heart murmor and 2 holes in her heart. We left the hospital without her. I have been married to my husband Chris for 5 years. We are both only children and had a strong bond before my daughter came. I think i am struggling with other issues that i cant focus on myself. I miss my husband....and the love we once had. I hate my job and i need a new one. I want to be a better me but i dont know how to get there. Sorry...diddnt mean to unload on you...but looking for support. My mom also had gastric bypass 3 years ago...you would think we would make a great team but we get caught up with our busy lifes. We were talking tonight about checking into a support group here in town...they meet once a month for an hour.... Its a start...right.

Tell me a little bit more about yourself? Was it scary when your son got his licence?

Ok...so thats my story.

She is just precious!

I missed your questions too :(

My oldest is a very responsible kid. I was very lucky to have him as my first driver. It went well and he is a really good dirver. Probably better than me...I am a leadfoot! ha ha.

I grew up in Bham but not a fan of the place. I left when I was 21 and have not been back to live. Its beautiful and I have a couple close friends who are still there.

Not much to write about. I have been super blessed with a great husband and 2 wonderful kids. We broke the "cycle" with regards to the way we grew up in the NW. We wanted different things for ourselves and children. Sometimes improving ourselves makes others feel uncomfortable and one day there is nothing in common anymore. Thats what happened to us with our families out there. We chose not to live the lifestyle that so many in our poor neighborhood fell into. I was from the wrong side of the tracks growning up and just wanted a different life.

I have no regrets or complaints about the past because its what made me who I am today. My father, who was a good man, couldnt get out of his slump and took up drinking again after 15+ years sober. He couldnt take his situation anymore and put the bottle to his head and pulled the trigger. Drank himself into passing out and death 9/27/10. It was a choice he made. I had seen him 7 months earlier and when I flew backto DC I knew it was the last time I would ever see him. He was 400+ lbs and uncontrolled diabetes. He lost feeling in his feet. He was a very depressed and sad man. If I had stayed in WA my whole life I would be no different. I have never cried for my dad. I smile always.He made a decision and he is somewhere bass fishing now as we speak.

I do not talk to the rest of my family.

So I guess thats my story. I lead a very happy and blessed life but through a learning experience. I feel I can help others because I have gone through the hard stuff that put me in a physical and mental good place now.

Hope I didnt bore you :)

Ray

Hey Ray...How do i delete these chats...I would rather private message you. How do i add you as a friend?

you go to the profile of the person you want to friend and to the right it will give you the option. The chats that are up can not be deleted unfortunately.

r

Bellingham' date='Washington[/quote']

Hi I thought we should keep in touch my surgery was 2/19