Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sick of Sleeve arrogance

I am so sick of sleeved people in other forums and in my own support group bashing all other procedures!

The group leader, a sleeve patient, at my surgeon's support group is constantly making comments about the complications of RNY and band, et al.. He makes comments about how uncomfortable certain things are for RNY patients, as if he has experienced them. He's even gone as far as pointing at me and saying something like, "It was probably worse for you because of..(fill in the blank)..with RNY." And believe me, I do groups for living and I am no shrinking violet when it comes to defending my position and choices, but if it weren't for the other members I have made friends with, I'd stop going to group. I don't need to hear every month how risky and complicated and WRONG my choice was!

I thought it was just there, but no...a few Facebook posts from a bariatric support group had preoperative people asking questions about what procedure to get, and all the sleeve people pipe up and bash RNY. One guy even tried to say that RNY was MORE invasive than sleeve. My reply was, "How is that possible when part of the stomach is REMOVED in sleeve, but the remnant stomach is still there with RNY?"

Has anyone else noticed this RNY bashing by sleeved patients?

There should not be "sides" in a support group, like in a playground! We should support each other's decisions.

I am going to stick around here. Too much anti-RNY talk on other forums. I have had a textbook recovery and am happy with my decision. I feel great! I don't need the negativity. Ok, end of RANT!

I've noticed it some. Let's just hope they never have stomach cancer or an issue that damages that sleeve too bad and have no stomach left to turn to. Also, it has a higher failure rate *especially those that have no dumping cuz you can wash down a pack or oreos. Everyone makes their own choice and we've seen several sleeve to rny revisions.

It's not that the sleeve is a bad procedure. They just don't get that metabolic reset and malabsorbtion that someone with my issues needs. I was not a candidate for sleeve or band. Just switch or Rny. And switch is supposedly the best. :)

Being a former band patient,I used to hang at lap-band talk.....after my band slipped, emergency surgery, etc i made the mistake of telling my story and that I was getting an RNY....I never trashed the band, just said it wasn't a good fit for me...and I got bashed!!! Got private messages yelling at me for trying to scare everyone away from the band , one said they hoped I experienced every RNY complication that existed and I should get another band....so freaking judge mental :/ (FYI another band was never an option, my band was a pain in the ass from the beginning but my surgeon would not rebrand me given the slip and damage from my band, I couldn't have gotten another even if I'd wanted it)

I also am amazed at how often I hear the sleeve is less invasive than the RNY....really???? Hacking off parts and throwing them in the trash....that's less invasive?

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 220.2

I also am amazed at how often I hear the sleeve is less invasive than the RNY....really???? Hacking off parts and throwing them in the trash....that's less invasive?

I know, RIGHT? What the HELL?

Okay, all that said, I was required to go to a support group meeting pre-op to my band. I left swearing I'd never go back because of the arrogance of the RNY group....they all but told the lap-band people we were stupid. (No sleeves in the area at that time). Even though I now have an RNY I still won't go back because of that negativity. I've told my docs nurse if they have anyone struggling with a band or on the fence I'd be happy to speak with them but no support groups for me!

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 220.2

I've been hearing a lot about the bariatric politics lately.

The sleeve is a good surgery if you're a good candidate, I wasn't, I had Heartburn and Gerd, and I didn't really want to have cancer.

The band is right for some people, If you have less to lose, and want something reversible.

RNY is good for those who have more comorbidities, heartburn, more to lose, although it does have some different side effects than the others, along with more long-term effects.

As far as being invasive, they all are invasive. RNY separates the stomach and re-routes the intestines. The Sleeve completely removes half of the stomach., and the band strangles and mangles the stomach.

The point is all the surgeries have their marits and issues. one might be better for some people than others, but that doesn't make it anybetter overall.

Wow! That's not okay.

IMO, it's not worth frequenting that particular "support group" if they are that divided. You go home more frustruated than feeling like you got support and undertsnding. Isn't it the whole point of a support group, kwim? The couple of friends you made there can keep in touch with you outside the group sessions. The fiendship is not completely lost.

Personally, I am the kind of individual that walks out without looking back but not before giving people in the wrong a piece of my mind. I would more than likely find a support group that actually gives support and not the opposite.

Being a former band patient' date='I used to hang at lap-band talk.....after my band slipped, emergency surgery, etc i made the mistake of telling my story and that I was getting an RNY....I never trashed the band, just said it wasn't a good fit for me...and I got bashed!!! Got private messages yelling at me for trying to scare everyone away from the band , one said they hoped I experienced every RNY complication that existed and I should get another band....so freaking judge mental :/ (FYI another band was never an option, my band was a pain in the ass from the beginning but my surgeon would not rebrand me given the slip and damage from my band, I couldn't have gotten another even if I'd wanted it)

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 220.2[/quote']

I was on lapband talk for a long time and left because of vicious bullies. There is a group there who troll looking for victims. They would treat me the same if I posted about getting a revision. So ridiculous! I could care less what surgery people choose, I have enough to worry about withy own issues! Lol

Everyone has the right to decide which WLS is right for them. If you did a WLS and you need to revise it so what that's the person problem. That all WLS is for everyone. So bashing on one or another for there decision is wrong.

I was on lapband talk for a long time and left because of vicious bullies. There is a group there who troll looking for victims. They would treat me the same if I posted about getting a revision. So ridiculous! I could care less what surgery people choose' date=' I have enough to worry about withy own issues! Lol[/quote']

Very junior high-esque! :) live and learn!!!

Those that are arrogant in the sleeve forum or groups, I wonder how they will feel in a few years when all the research studies come in. I thought I had done the right thing when I had my band. The only thing I actually knew could happen and what worried me was erosion. How that I have researched this further, after the fact, I wouldn't have done it. So, since it will be removed in May, for three weeks I have been doing research on both the RNY and sleeve. What I have found long term RNY is the best and this is based on studies done. As far as the sleeve, they are basically saying it is too new and not enough studies have been done regarding complications. And for the band it is basically failing in the studies. So I would probably walk away from the ignorance with a smile knowing I did the right thing. RNY for me.