Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new to this 5yrs post op. having some issue

Hi im from Beverly, ma. I had my rny gastric on 3/18/08. The surgery went well and i dont regreat it at all. My problems started 3yrs ago with feeling tired, hands and feet are always cold. I complain to the dr. And he did some blood work, and he said i had celiac sprue, well ok so i went on a gluetin free diet. It didnt help i was getting worse with my hands n feet. This is painful, went back to him telling him its getting worse so he took more blood remind u i was complaining to him for 2yrs and he told me i had nerophathy cuz my B12 was way to low for so long so he put me on nerotins 3 x a day, And B12 shoot montly. I just went back to him cuz this is an aweful feeling and nothing working, he did more blood work n said my Vitamin D was low so now im on Vitamin d 50, 000 twice a week. Right now my hands and feet are so bad that my toes are numb. Is there anyone else having these issue maybe know what can help.. Feeling tired all the time, hands and feet are so cold that your toes are numb... The dr. said i dont have celiac spru which i already knew that cause i can eat anything except long Pasta, and milk.. Please any post ops that have any suggestions to help me feel alive.. Thanks HW: 293. CW: 126. Current meds and vitamins.. Nurotins 300mg 3x a day. Muti vitamin, vit d 50,000 2x a week for 8 weeks after the 8 weeks i have to go back on caltrate 1000 a day. Also B12 supplement daily. And b12 injections monthly. Thats my only issue. Im happy with the surgery i just want to feel better.

I'm five yrs out n May. I have never had the numb extremities before but I do stay cold. I shiver constantly and I am almost always lethargic. I never miss a dose in Vitamins or B12 and I'm still tired. I was staying very anemic which can contribute to being tired but they sent me to a oncologist and I did a full day of Iron transfusions. So far my levels has stayed above 10. I don't know what to tell you on how to go about getting help bc I can barely get help myself. Doctors look at us as if we're idiots and we are treated like we are less than a human bc we chose to ha e bariatric surgery. Its very depressing not being able to get help or to even have support behind you when your sick everybody just assumes all we do is sit around and whine. I always say I wish my body had a meter that would show my pain illness etc bc then and only then would ppl start treating us with respect and a tad bit of empathy.

I wish I knew what to tell you to do to get help but I just don't know and that breaks my heart for ya. So all I can really offer is support and to let u know in here if u need to chat.

((Hugs))

Thank you and your absolutly right. Im 36 but right now i feel older. I just want to feel normal again and want the dr. To listen cuz we know our bodies and we know when something aint right. I force myself to do my exercises with my feet being in so much pain. My dr. Said its neropathy cuz of my B12 being low for so long caused nerve damage. Well hello he should of listen to me when i first complain about it.

Were u diabetic before?? See I was starting to have problems w my feet before surgery. Like I worked 19hourd and didn't realize I had rubbed a blister so bad on ny toe it resembled a 3rd degree burn.

A lot of drs doesn't understand bariatric surgery. I still have to remind no nsaids etc. and then I still get a look with a well why not? SMH! O the joy of explaining mal absorption and medication that one is always fun too.

U may wanna ask to be referred to a neurologist that also specializes in pain management. They may be able to do something there for the nerve damage or at least make the pain bearable.

No i wasnt diabetic but my surgion said i was on the borderline, i did go see nerologist and all he had me do was touch my nose. Stand on my toes, then heels and all that good stuff.. I can eat anything with no problems.. Right now i feel lost and i feel like the dr. Dont want to listen..

Oh gosh. Yeah been there. All I can say girl is u keep pushing and yelling something isn't right. Dont take no for an answer. Its hard to deal with incompetence and we run into this sorts thing constantly. Tomorrow call around and tell ur story and see if that gets u anywhere. I know it took me driving two hours to finally get help. I hope and pray u don't. I know how aggravated u feel bc I feel it frequently. My insurance wouldn't pay for migrane medicine and I asked how much out of pocket and I couldn't afford it. I sat crying on the phone begging them to over ride and get the medicine they told me no flat out. So that night I had to suffer with a migrane so bad I was vomiting which made it hurt a billion times worse. I know its insignificant but ur not alone in this and I'm here for u. Don't get discouraged the Lord wouldn't let u come this far just to stall. We will figure out something. Ok??