Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on Thursday and cried yesterday

lapband4menow,

I gotta tell ya, you wont feel like the "old self again" wasnt that the purpose for seeking out the band? I'm almost 2 years out and your life changes. you dont center enjoyment around food, start now looking for other ways to Celebrate and socialize. that was my greatest feat. I shop now for cute size 8-10 (when swelling goes down) jeans in stores I never thought I could shop in. I have felt the same way, now only right after but thru out too. I was very open about being banded almost spokesperson for my Dr. I live in a very small town and only 1 person, a checker at the grocery store said," you cheated" well, then the food monster inside came out I wanted to eat eat eat and felt like a failure because i couldnt succeed without the band. well, screw her I am skinnier than her now!! lol

every thing changes so be prepared to change too. I mean more the food types, portions, and drinking and eating. Your perspective will also change as you loose weight and realize the increase in self esteem you have. at 277lbs I would never face that cashier again I would agree that I was a failure and overweight, now with the confidence I have I let her know in a friendly, in your face type way that I am skinner than her, I even offered her my larger pants cause they were "too big"

Keep positive you are almost done with the hardest physical part, ok aside from the damn exercise. Good luck keep me posted!

Guest Band4EJ

Lapband4menow....

I was banded on the 6th and I feel the same way...so it must be pretty normal. I cried and cried and wondered if my American insurance would pay to take out this band I had put in Mexico. I wondered how I could be so stupid and weak to need something like this to take control of my eating and I wondered how I will survive without food to lean on.

My mom said what some of the other responses on this thread have said....we are BRAVE! It takes a lot of guts to do something like this and it means we are stinkin' serious about being healthy and happy!!!!!

I hope you feel better in the next few days. Please know that there are a lot of us in the same stage right now. Bloated, nervous and wondering how this band thingee is actually going to work! I'll bet in a year we will look back at this time and think how silly we were.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and for your weight loss wishes to come true!

You'll be feeling so much better in just a week. My only remaining pain is where the port actually is located. That takes the longest to heal but it to shall pass. We have very similar goals on the weight loss journey. I wish you nothing but peace and success. It will be great!! :peace:

Anaesthesia can have weird effects. Last year when I had an umbilical hernia repaired under a general anaesthetic I ended up crying for two weeks convinced I was in love with my anaesthetist and I've been happily married for 11 years. Any operation is a huge shock to your body. Just take it easy and be kind to yourself.

I don't think it's anything to worry about but if you need reassurance just call the hospital and put your mind at rest.

K.. I will call the hospital. I just dont want any blood clots. But I read the symptoms of that just now and it didn't say numbness was one of the symptoms. I walked a lot and they put the massage things on my legs after surgery and gave me heprin.

You are not alone. In the beginning I felt tremendous doubt and fear at times. I didn't qualify here, so I traveled to Mexico for the surgery (desperate). But, the reason people are so happy is that there are results!! When your weight begins to drop, you will be in awe of your good fortune. Please allow yourself to heal. You just had surgery and have a bit of recovery. Stay strong!!

Louise R: That is HILARIOUS!!!

Maybe your Anesthesiologist was experimenting with a love potion.

Hi There!

When I woke up and started looking around the room and felt the crazy pain - I was CONVINCED that they actually removed my stomach and kicked it around the operatng room for a while before reinserting it as punishment.

The weird thoughts (kinda) go away. =) just give it time.

I cried and cried BEFORE my operation. It totally freaked me out to be losing my best (worst) friend and habit of binge eating whenever I had an emotion of any kind! About a month after the operation it hit me how much money I had spent. I could have put one of my kids through college. I cried a few nights then. Then I chilled out. I will still help my kids and I will be alive amd active to care for my grandchildren when the time comes.

I also agree that a lot of emotions are from that damn love Dr....the Anesthesiologist!:mad:

OH MY GOD!!....You could have been me 3 weeks ago....I told my husband to call the Dr and have it removed...He reassured me it was the right decision and how hard I worked and how much research I did. I understand we ALL go thru it. I think all the research and all the preparation....just didn't sink in. Here I am 3 weeks out...eating mushies..down 20 lbs. and loving my band. I had a lot of post op swelling and could barely get anything down...hence the weight loss...also had a hiatal hernia repair at the same time. Now I'm up and about doing everything and not being too hungry. Gool luck...you will DO great..keep reading the all the boards for "bandies". I'm on the boards everyday and feel you are all my support. Congratulations for now being on the "losing side"....