Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 Week Post Op - Down 87.5lbs

Thanks for taking the time to write that. I still have a wAys to go before surgery. One question at 10 weeks what stage are you at eating wise and what are some of the things you can have and can't have? Thanks

I am eating just about anything healthy that I choose.. I am avoiding beef and pork pretty much all the time.. but turkey and chicken seem to go down really well.

I tried beef again tonight and as I sit here writing this to you know - I really regret it. It is making my pouch very angry and in a little bit of pain. We aren't supposed to try beef until 4 months, but I just had to see how it would go. Bad move on my part.

Now the things that go really well for me include almonds, Protein bars, chicken, oatmeal (I buy the low sugar fruit flavored instant ones), lots of Soups. My overall goal is to only eat things that are healthy and that include some sort of Protein.

I have to confess though. Last night we went to a wrestling tournament and someone in our group had a concession stand nacho. OMG.. I had to try one. So I took a bite of one of the chips and that was enough for me. It guess it was more of a need to satisfy the craving than anything else.

Andy, thanks for your words and the inspiration. I am two weeks out today, feeling nauseous after eating or drinking anything, and I have thrown up most of the items on the mushy solids list. Right now I have two foods working for me. But I never seem to quench my thirst or satisfy my tummy. I am trying to keep my eyes on the prize, but I'm starting to wonder why I did this to myself.

You look great! And your sons pretty cute too. Lol. Did you workout a lot also?

How are you feeling Theresa?

I'm feeling good. 4 days post op. I left a message on January post op about details of my surgery. It went really good. I'm just home now. Walking, sipping and resting waiting to heal completely. Currently I am loosing the Water weight I gained in the hospital.

HW 303

SW 278

Post SW 294

Current 287

Wow Theresa, we have the same HW and nearly the same SW. How tall are you? I am 5'9". Hoping to get to 180 and then see what I think.

Good luck to you and I hope you recuperate quickly!

Wow Theresa' date=' we have the same HW and nearly the same SW. How tall are you? I am 5'9". Hoping to get to 180 and then see what I think.

Good luck to you and I hope you recuperate quickly!

[/quote']

Oh that's cool but we not identical twinkles cause I'm only 5'6". I am having trouble deciding an ending weight cause I was 175 when I graduated HS and I can't imagine being smaller than that. The nation average for my height is 115-155 and that just blows my mind to think of getting that small. As far as healing I get better everyday. Thanks so much!

Well yes I am only a little bit taller, but hey were still in the same boat lol. My dr says he should be able to get me down to 180, and I said according to the charts I should be 140, and he said why are you being so hard on yourself! I guess he's right. I'd probably be a stick at 140. But I'd like to try it! I remember being 140 in 8th grade!!

Well yes I am only a little bit taller' date=' but hey were still in the same boat lol. My dr says he should be able to get me down to 180, and I said according to the charts I should be 140, and he said why are you being so hard on yourself! I guess he's right. I'd probably be a stick at 140. But I'd like to try it! I remember being 140 in 8th grade!![/quote']

Well I just can't decide either. I guess it's still a ways out. Although I'm losing like crazy so it might not be as long as I think. How r u doing at losing? This is gonna be a roller coaster, u know, straight down....

I certainly hope that the only direction is down! I'm down 40 so far, and I am 3 weeks out from surgery. Down two sizes is trousers which is great! How about you?

I certainly hope that the only direction is down! I'm down 40 so far' date=' and I am 3 weeks out from surgery. Down two sizes is trousers which is great! How about you?[/quote']

Look at you go!! Good job.

I'm feeling good. 4 days post op. I left a message on January post op about details of my surgery. It went really good. I'm just home now. Walking' date=' sipping and resting waiting to heal completely. Currently I am loosing the Water weight I gained in the hospital.

HW 303

SW 278

Post SW 294

Current 287

[/quote']

How are you doing? Hope all is well.

I certainly hope that the only direction is down! I'm down 40 so far' date=' and I am 3 weeks out from surgery. Down two sizes is trousers which is great! How about you?[/quote']

I too am 5'9 & my goal wt is 140. I am 4 wks & lost 40 lbs (I only weigh in at work or at my surgeons scale) When was your surgery? Mine 1/14

I am one week post op and having leg and feet cramps. Is anyone else having that problem? I can't possibly drink more fluids than I do right now unless I get up in the middle of the night. Has anyone gone through this? My doc appt is Friday and I will be sure to bring it up but until then, any thoughts?

I have put off for a long time posting about my GB experience. But I had my 10 week post op appointment today and thought I would post about my journey to this point. My hope is that this will be inspiring to those of you who may be considering this procedure or those of your who may have just had it done and find that your are struggling with some aspect.

I started off last July at my heaviest... 334lbs. I am only 6'1" and my BMI was nearly 45. I should mention that I am 40 years old. I began with the dietician and lost all the way down to 316lbs the day of surgery. My surgery was on November 5' date=' 2012. As of today, I am down to 246lbs. The most amazing part in this whole process is getting to shop for new clothes. Now I am a guy, and I have never EVER been into shopping for clothes. That has changed. I find it exciting that I used to wear a size 42-44 pants and 3XL shirts and now I wear 34-36 pants and XL and some L size shirts. But that isn't the best part.... the best part is I am off of ALL my meds. I don't take any blood pressure meds, not more diabetes meds, not more thyroid meds and because I don't have massive headaches constantly I don't take any more pain meds. My energy levels are through the roof and really feel great.

The process after the surgery was really the hard part. I started out thinking that it would be easy. I had read all of the literature. I had watched all the videos and most importantly I had lurked around the forums to see what I could see and learn what I could learn. I felt prepared. I have learned that I can read all about people sipping Water all day, I can imagine what that will be like, but in reality, I found that early on - it was a struggle. But as I sit here today, drinking my Decaf iced tea... it isn't such a big deal. I figured out what works for me and I made it happen. The same goes with my eating. I found the foods that work for me. And I found out the ways that I can eat them without ticking off my pouch. Did I just say "ticking off my pouch"? You bet I did. That is the other part I had to learn. Often times it seemed like early on, my pouch had a mind all of it's own. One day it would be ok with a food, the next time I had it, the pouch will have decided that it wasn't a fan of the particular food and it would complain. Nothing too drastic, but I got the message.

Where I am going with this is pretty simple. It is tough. It isn't easy. But if each and everyone of us who decides that this is the route we want to take to get our lives back, can be a little more prepared for the ups and the downs, then I have been successful in sharing with you. It is important to remember that we all will have good days and we will have bad days. In my short 10 week experience, the good days are becoming great days and I can't remember the last bad day I had. For most of us I suspect that life after GB surgery, goes on and things will become easier and easier with each day that passes. And that is the part to remember. We have all suffered through the nausea and all the other issues that we have had to put up with, but remember, we made this decision and in my case, I made the decisions that led me to be overweight in the first place.

I want to wrap up with you by sharing my thoughts on how I have managed to cope with missing my good friend - FOOD! I quickly learned that for me - food was an addiction. Just like an addiciton that one may have to Cocaine or perhaps even cigarettes. Once I realized that my biggest problem was an addiction, I began to "treat" myself like an addict. Food became something that I did for survival and for nourishment whereas before - food was something I did for sport. I can no longer ever go back to "sport eating" again. I have worked too hard to get the weight off and I will keep the weight off. I refuse to be one of the twenty percent of us that put the weight back on in the next ten years.

So I have spent a lot of time rambling- and if you are still reading at this point then good for you. I appreciate you taking the time out to let me tell the story and share with you. If you are reading this and having issues or questions about your own weight loss, give me a shout. I don't know all the answers and lets face it - I only have 10 weeks experience at this. But hey - were all in this together aren't we?

I have attached a couple of pictures... the first one is taken of me and my son when he left for college in August of last year. The second was taken a few weeks ago when I was at 260lbs. I haven't taken any since. But I will soon.

Take care,

Andy H.[/quote']

Andy,

Thanks for posting. I so agree with your statement of being an addict! I feel the same way. I am literally addicted to eating. I think for me, knowing this and treating this surgery as a way to help me overcome that addiciton, makes my decision to have this surgery a no-brainer. I am so excited to move past this stage and come out a healthier person. While I know it won't be easy at all, I think being well informed pre op is one of the best things i can do. Some of these posts do scare me a little bit, but there are also great risks in remaining big. I AM ready to this and wish it was tommorrow! Thanks for the positve post!

Andy' date='

Thanks for posting. I so agree with your statement of being an addict! I feel the same way. I am literally addicted to eating. I think for me, knowing this and treating this surgery as a way to help me overcome that addiciton, makes my decision to have this surgery a no-brainer. I am so excited to move past this stage and come out a healthier person. While I know it won't be easy at all, I think being well informed pre op is one of the best things i can do. Some of these posts do scare me a little bit, but there are also great risks in remaining big. I AM ready to this and wish it was tommorrow! Thanks for the positve post![/quote']

You are going to do fantastic... I have faith in you. Just remember... We eat to survive now... Not for fun. Goid luck and keep us posted.