Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about post op diet

My surgeon says i am to only eat lean Proteins, Vitamins and Protein Shakes until 75% of weight i need to lose is off. Then I am to add low carb veggitables and when i get to maintanance i will be allowed to have fruit in moderation. and am to avoid all simple sugars and baked breads or pastas, in other words i have to lose about 80 lbs before i can have anything but lean proteins also no milk. some dairy is allowed but not milk. no oatmeal, cream of wheat....nothing like that. I am confused because i see a lot of the people here eating stuff he says no way to ...like mashed potatoes, tortillas, bread, rice pasta....is my doc alone on this or are there others here who have strict rules? he has a realy good success rate for long term weight loss....i just want to know if there are otherswho are on this strict of a meal plan, I am going to follow his meal plan, but it is going to be tough with everyone else able to eat. I am also a bit worried about my kidneys with only Protein ....which is also why we are supposed to carry Water or SF drink 24/7.....Any comments would be appreciated. What do you all think of this?

That seems pretty drastic! How are you supposed to get through the first couple of stages if you can't have mushy foods like oatmeal, mashed potatoes or milk? I've seen a lot of different diets (seems like every doc has their own) but I have never seen one that strict...

Especially milk. It has Protein in it and yes we are recommended 1% or skim milk. A lot of people make their Protein Shakes out of it. I would ask again about the milk because yogurt and cheese which 99% of us are recommended to eat is made from milk

Greek yogurt, plain only and some low fat cheese like mozzarella are allowed. As for the soft stage... recommended foods are, cottage cheese, Protein Shakes, scrambled egg, pureed meets (gross), pureed Beans, Greek yogurt, i am sure i left some out, but you get the idea....if it isn't lean Protein i am not to eat it and if it is a protein too solid to eat in the soft stage, i am to puree it...

Girl I'm with you. I have a strict dr and think its great. Rice, Pasta, tortillas- that's what made us fat. If some surgeons allow that, good for them, but I have been super happy with my fast weight loss and have decided to follow my doc... when I read others people's meals I don't want for that... I think how much faster ill get to my goal :)

I am glad it isnt just me! I am going to follow it too because his rate of success is so great. you are so right....all those foods i love so much, Pasta, rice tortillas, sweets....those are what i overate. One of the reasons i picked RNY was because of dumping syndrome.....i want that fear there to keep me on track. one more thing you will a love....we have to make our shakes with water....no juice or milk. tastes great (gagging). We are allowed to mix it with SF drinks, but i havn't found anything to mix it with that actually tasts ok. right now before surgery he is letting me use the Light OJ from minute maid, but after surgery i will have to find something different.

I don't use milk products either, but we can use almond milk. It's 40 cals for a cup of unsweetened original and makes the shakes more creamy. Can you use that?

If you can follow your doctors orders you will have great success. After a month your craving for carbs will go away.

My surgeon's plan doesn't allow for starches (bread, rice, Pasta or potatoes) either until your BMI is under 30. Even then, you're only allowed one serving a day of a whole-wheat variety. One serving as in one slice of bread. All day. I used to read posts about people in the purée stage and couldn't have most of what they would describe. I couldn't have the cream Soups that are so popular. They are mostly carbs.

I did eat a lot of salads. Egg salad or chicken salad (with canned chicken) with low-fat or fat-free miracle whip. I also ate Hormel turkey chili with no Beans with low fat cheese. I would never have touched it presurgery but it sat well and it was extremely high in Protein and low-carb.

However, I was allowed milk and fruit and vegetables. Although the emphasis was on Proteins over fruits and vegetables. I ate a lot of cottage cheese in the beginning. I'm six months out and can't stand the stuff now. I am down 103 lbs though so I guess it worked.

Where did you have your surgery? Some carbs are actually necessary...supposedly they help brain function. The key is a balance. Fruits and veggies help to provide this.

I will have to ask about almond milk. I have never had it. I'm glad I am not alone in this. As for healthy carbs...he requires so many Vitamins (chewable or liquid) that I don't know how I will be hungry at all. I am concerned about no vegg but I will just have to stick it out, lose as fast as possible and then I can have them gain. I am thankful for everyone who responded....I feel much better now. I can do this. I am so thankful to this site. I am going to share it with everyone at my first support group.

Thank you all and God bless!

Kat

Oh I also forgot to answer that question ....I am still pre-op just trying to lay some questions to rest. I will have surgery on feb 6th at Park Veiw in riverside Ca with Dr. Krahn...(spelling?)

I will have to ask about almond milk. I have never had it. I'm glad I am not alone in this. As for healthy carbs...he requires so many Vitamins (chewable or liquid) that I don't know how I will be hungry at all. I am concerned about no vegg but I will just have to stick it out' date=' lose as fast as possible and then I can have them gain. I am thankful for everyone who responded....I feel much better now. I can do this. I am so thankful to this site. I am going to share it with everyone at my first support group.

Thank you all and God bless!

Kat

Oh I also forgot to answer that question ....I am still pre-op just trying to lay some questions to rest. I will have surgery on feb 6th at Park Veiw in riverside Ca with Dr. Krahn...(spelling?)[/quote']

hi Kat was checking in on you met you on here back in Nov , I have Still's disease and we talked about sleeve vs rny.was wanting to see how you were doing interested in this strict meal plan? btw are you planning on using fitpal?

Cyn-shakiraa-*12/17/12*Sent from my mobile Rnytalk.

Hi Cyn, yes I am on MFP my name there is KatsMFP. Doing well on the pre-op diet, supposed to have surgery tomorrow, but I caught a little cold so I have to go down there so my surgeon can check out my lungs....I'm still waiting for the call but they did move up my surgery. If I get the all clear, I have to check in at 7. As for the strict meal plan afterwards, I have come to terms with it and feel confident I can stick to it. How are you doing? I don't remember if you were pre-op or not....where are you in your journey, and are your health issues causing problems for you?

Hi Cyn' date=' yes I am on MFP my name there is KatsMFP. Doing well on the pre-op diet, supposed to have surgery tomorrow, but I caught a little cold so I have to go down there so my surgeon can check out my lungs....I'm still waiting for the call but they did move up my surgery. If I get the all clear, I have to check in at 7. As for the strict meal plan afterwards, I have come to terms with it and feel confident I can stick to it. How are you doing? I don't remember if you were pre-op or not....where are you in your journey, and are your health issues causing problems for you?[/quote']

yay , your surgery got moved up are you excited ? my d.o.s 12/17 to.date I have lost 43 lbs including preop, however I have not been able to do much working out or focusing on Protein intake , I was in the hospital from the 17 -28 spent xmas confined to bed, due to high steroids have a leak that will not close , had tpn in for 3 wks, still have my drain in , severe nausea and pain, hopefully will get my stent placed.soon, all in.all, my diabetes is better, but can't go back on my still's meds yet just taking the bare minimum so it's been hard I'm thinking a strickter diet might be good for me too even though I'm only averaging 500-600 a day . I pray that you are well enough to go through the surgery let me know if you have any questions. Best of luck

Cyn-shakiraa-*12/17/12*Sent from my mobile Rnytalk.

I am very excited,but I wish I would know for sure. Still no call. I am sorry you have had such a difficult time. I am stopping my lupus med for now too. It is so harsh on my stomach, I am afraid to take it. I am averaging about the same calories on my previous opp diet, but it is mostly from Protein. Whatever you do....check with the doc first so you don't hurt your tummy. Did you go for the sleeve then? How has it Ben hunger wise? One of my biggest fears is that I still won't feel full. My parents are on their way from out of state to help my hubby and kids. That way he can be there with me.....do thou have family? Are you all healed now and has the leak stopped?