Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

major complications

Hi my name is Sandra and I had my gastric bypass surgery in 2002 and since I have had soon many complications from having a pic line because of mal nutrition on 3 occasions. Then hospital stays mainly because of my first doctor doing many patients surgeries wrong and he had a huge medical malpractice suit against him. In 2009 I had it revised and fixed I was doing good for awhile but this past year has been crazy from being in a hospital for a month to having a gtube... I was just wondering has anyone had any serious bed ridden complications like myself? But mainly has anyone had their surgery reversed? I'm seriously thinking about having it reversed and maintaining my weight from there. I just want to get back to my normal self. Please message me or respond I would greatly appreciate it.

Good luck to you & so sorry this happen.

Oh my Gad many complications, I had just 7 month and I don feel good to, ihad complication in my surgery, but. The true sometime I feel sad I don't have the same energy when I have a lot a weigh the surgery its not easy. How you feel now? Hope you feel beter....

Hi Sandra,

Just saw your post. I had RNY in 2003/ Iwas 292 lbs, and 5'4. My first year was rocky but boy did I lose weight. I was at goal weight by 1/5 yrs. But then I just kept losing. Had a lot of diarrhea, too.

I now weight 96 lbs and feel awful about it. Had a scope and was told my pouch was still only 30 cc. I thouoght it was supposed to expand some................? My surgeon told me that was a myth...??

I see your post was in December. Are you doing any better now?

I just saw your post. I myseld had my surgery in Oct 2012 I have had a lot of complication such as duodialle fistulas, ulcers , j-tube in fections, absesses, and finally put in a g-tube for tube feedings. i the last 4 months I have been in the hospital 8 times. I ask myself everyday did I do the right thing. But I try to stay positive, even when I am hooked up to a feeding tube or cleaning my tubes. Its hard but just try to stay positive. have thought about having it reversed but then all this was for nothing . I honestly believe ehrn I get threw all of this it will be worth it.

Good luck Kelly right now I am starting out on jevity 1.5 50 ml/ hr for 12 hours each night, I must admit it is very discouraging! Does your tube still hurt? How long before you got used to it ? Does it get any easier? How much weight have you lost total if you don't mind me asking? I am scared to death that this will make me gain

HW:260 RNY:11-10-12 CW: 208 Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Hi Bethel, I basicallt stay hooked up to the pump most of the day, I can only be of it for 4 hours . Which basically gives me enough time to work out and do things around my house. Which alot of times I can't I just don't have enough energy. I was very discouraged for awhile (I wn\on't lie to ya) but then i figured"kelly Its time not to have a pitty party, be strong and this will all be worth it in the end) It does get easier you used to it and its just something you have to do. But first I had 2 a j tube and a g tube (a j tube for feeding a g tube drainage. The j tube fell out twicw ( once my fault, once not). It took me a couple weeks to get use to bot th of them abd they stopped hurting after a couple of weeks. But then my j tube became infected and I had an absses at the sight of the J tube. So know I use the g tube which I like MUCH better.. My weight is kind of a tricky question. You see I was in the hospital * tims in Months and each time they pumped me full of Fluid like once I gained 12 pounds in one day. So I will go with my pre op weight I was 309 and know I am 250. My surgery was in October so I have lost weight slow But I tell myself it dosen;t matter I am losing weight. The feeding tube does make it harder in my opinion.

Sorry this is so long. If you have any question or you just need to talk or vent you can always message me. I will always be honest and tell you the truth.

Stay positive it will get better. Keep your head up.

Kelly

Hi my name is Sandra and I had my gastric bypass surgery in 2002 and since I have had soon many complications from having a pic line because of mal nutrition on 3 occasions. Then hospital stays mainly because of my first doctor doing many patients surgeries wrong and he had a huge medical malpractice suit against him. In 2009 I had it revised and fixed I was doing good for awhile but this past year has been crazy from being in a hospital for a month to having a gtube... I was just wondering has anyone had any serious bed ridden complications like myself? But mainly has anyone had their surgery reversed? I'm seriously thinking about having it reversed and maintaining my weight from there. I just want to get back to my normal self. Please message me or respond I would greatly appreciate it.

I had rny on Aug 3rd went back in the next day because of a leak. Came out with a huge open wound id post the pic but its not real pretty. From there i ended up with Fluid around my lungs. 4 chest tubes a g-tube a j-tube and abcess and a collapsed lung.i was in the hospital almost a month the first time 2 weeks the second time. Came home on feed tube got rid of it on Dec 10 and things have really gotten better i have muscle aches in my arms and shoulder still and short of breath at times. Assume its from the lung. But now that the bad stuff is over im glad i did it. I take no prescription med anymore i use to be on 8-9 no high blood pressure and most of all no diabetes that was my goal when i started this. Rny 8-3-12 sw 289lbs now 215

Sandra and everyone else I am so relieved to know I'm not alone. I too have had several PIC's for TPN, weeks and weeks of hospital stays narcotic pain killers. I am so weak on days all I can do is lay around and of course my family really doesn't get it, but I don't expect them to. I feel alone being this sick. I've had to sit and watch a strangers blood go in my arm several times. I have a fear now so bad that I will fight the propifol (sp) they put me to sleep with for surgery because I'm scared I won't wake up. I'm tired of the pain, the pills etc.

To be blunt IT SUCKS and ur not alone in the boat it seems we're all in there with you.

Lots of love.

I had my Surgery may 1st and haven't left the hospital till yesterday, now I'm home after two months with a picc line, still in horrible pain and throwing up!!! I feel like im slowly dying!! I DEFINITELY regret having this done! I know how u all feel and I wish we had better outcomes!! My doctors now after I'm a little healthier are considering reversing it!

I'm so sorry all of you had a hard time or still going threw bad times. I sure wish it gets better.

So, so sorry, Maddy. I hope they get some answers for you and are able to avoid more surgery. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Reversion wasn't an option for us. I'm sure he would have done it. Everything was too scrambled inside to reverse anything. The problem is his problem went too long without properly being treated. The best advice I can give is to seek treatment as soon as you think something is wrong.