Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jumping through hoops

Hi everyone, I'm new on this site and have not yet had the surgery, but I am going through the preliminary hoops. I've had an endoscopy, a psychological examination, physical, and tonight I have a sleep study - all of which have to be done before I can even make the appointment. I guess the long drawn-out process weeds out the people who are looking to surgery as "the easy way out," as one of my friends put it (the gall!). I hope the paperwork diminishes after the surgery. I would love any comments, emails, advice, empathy. It seems like I've stumbled on a great forum.

You sound strong and ready. I'm not as far along as you are in the process, and was interested to read what you've had to do in the way of preliminaries.

Best wishes for a complication-free procedure!

Your list is typical of what most insurance companies require. It is to your advantage ....the more co-morbidities you have, the more likely they are to approve your surgery. It also is liability protection for the doctor....he doesn't want to take a chance on operating on someone who, for instance, has a heart problem and can't withstand the surgery (too hard on his malpractice insurance...lol!!).

Hi everyone, I'm new on this site and have not yet had the surgery, but I am going through the preliminary hoops. I've had an endoscopy, a psychological examination, physical, and tonight I have a sleep study - all of which have to be done before I can even make the appointment. I guess the long drawn-out process weeds out the people who are looking to surgery as "the easy way out," as one of my friends put it (the gall!). I hope the paperwork diminishes after the surgery. I would love any comments, emails, advice, empathy. It seems like I've stumbled on a great forum.

Welcome to this site! All I can say is that this is an awesome site-full of informative,caring, knowledgeable, and supportive people. Congrats to you on your decision to have the band. I was newly banded on 1/30/07. I started my research in August, attended a seminar in September, completed all my necessary appointments, tests, and procedures, and saw my surgeon in November. I was missing2 consults which had been completed;however never faxed to the doctor. I straightened all that out, then it was X-mas. I got my call right after New Years and had my surgery on the 30th of Jan. Best of luck to you. Gigi:)

I'm jumping through alot of hoops too. I would much rather get it over with and start losing the weight now. I expressed this to my Doctor and he told me that it is best to wait and rule everything possible out. Surgery is a big step that should not be taken lightly. I've been obese for years, so waiting for things is the story of my life.

Stay Strong

-Prebander

Hello from new york

I too am going though the same as you with all the doctors appointments and all I am done...I go back on 2/12 maybe for a date. I have start the optefast drinks and bars. they are costing me 75 dollars a week , alot of money I think. I feel like I am waiting is really hard for me. I know there is a thin woman in me yelling to come out already. To start the next part of my new life. Hold on world because I will be here soon good luck with you...

I'm right with you jumping thru hoops as well but I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Next week I will go for my last of my 6 month supervised diet visits. I've also had my psysiatric (sp) evaluation and sleep study. I still need to get a letter from my family doctor referring me for the surgery and get all my records from the last six months. I'm hoping to be able to submit to my insurance at the end of February.

My problem is that I have no co-morbidities and my doctor doesn't think I will be approved. Hopefully they will go by my BMI which is 40 and approve me right away. They have also said that Medical Mutual is one of the hardest companys they work with so I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Good luck you you and everyone else as well!