Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What factor does age have in your decision for RNY vs LB ... I am 230 lbs and 46 with thyroid and no metabolism to speak of! Thus my exploring these options..... I have my consultation with surgeon on Friday and looking forward to his opinion.

I had the lapband in 2006 when I was 42 and weighed about 280. After a revision and then a really bad prolaps after that it came out in 2010. I had to take at least 6 months to heal per the surgeon before they'd even consider any other WLS.

After gaining most of it back....and seeing the age of 50 coming around the corner....I knew in my heart that when I hit 50 I really wanted to be healthier and feeling better physically so started my research again into WLS alternatives to the lapband since I knew it wasn't an option for me. At first I thought I'd go with the sleeve but, after meeting with my surgeon, hearing about both and reading lots of articles etc. I decided to go with RNY. It's been quite a trip due to some infection issues but, I'm happy with my decision and looking forward to feeling better before the big 50 day :)

Thanks for your informative response. That is exactly what my husband says ... Why take the risk of having to having to have it corrected down the road! It is such a scary process - but I want this to be it ... I said it in my 20's, 30's then 40's that this will be the year ... And yo yoing is not an option anymore .... How much weight have you lost?

I am 53 and never had a weight problem until my thyroid went crazy in my 30's, I had it removed and battled weight ever since. I had my thyroidectomy 20 years ago. I would of had RNY surgery years ago if I knew insurance paid !!!! I had lost 100+ lbs on my own with diet and exercise in my late 30's and gained most of it back in a couple of years. Then as I got older it is more difficult to exercise like I use to (jogging/running). The weight was coming back on AGAIN, I found out that insurance pays and that I was probably a candidate for surgery so I booked class with my surgeons office and after class I booked the first consult and it is histroy from there. I was worried that I was not going to get approved because I was right on the borderline with a BMI of 37, my blood pressure was slowly going up and my cholestrol was 214 but I was approved. Now my BP is normal, cholestrol is 157 !!!!! I have lost a total of 41 lbs which I thought would be more at 6 months post op, my weight before surgery was 214. I know for people that have less than 100 lbs to loose take longer but I am really following my diet and have started jogging again which I totally love now that the extra pounds are off. I definately hit a slump, hopefully the lbs will start coming off again now that I am jogging again. I have never felt better in my whole life and this surgery was the best thing I ever did, recovery was a breeze. I highly recommend this to anyone at any age !!! I too was a yo-yo dieter, I would loose then slowly gain it all back, loose again etc. etc. etc. At least this way it is more permanent... I was tired if fighting with my weight all the time. RNY is the way to go... you get the best bang for your buck because you loose the most over the band and sleeve.

I am 47 and just went through the same thing. I was considering the middle one - the sleeve when I had my first appointment with my surgeon. He of course told me he would do which ever procedure I felt best for me and my future but that he has time and time again seen patients get the lap band or sleeve and a few years later come back for RNY. They either don't lose as much weight as RNY enables you to so they were unhappy, or they didn't like the adjusting of the band all the time. He suggested I do more research in to the RNY so I didn't spend twice the money and time doing one then deciding later to go back for RNY.

Thanks for your post .... I go on Thursday now for my surgeon consult at REX Bariatric Ctr. I see your NC? I am too - :-)

I am four months post-op and 61. I have met lots of people even older so I think they consider weight and co existing conditions more than age. I've lost 50 lbs and still working on 50 more so I believe go for it!! I exercise 1 hour 6 days a week, work full time with no plans to retire and really am beginning to feel much younger!

I am four months post-op and 61. I have met lots of people even older so I think they consider weight and co existing conditions more than age. I've lost 50 lbs and still working on 50 more so I believe go for it!! I exercise 1 hour 6 days a week' date=' work full time with no plans to retire and really am beginning to feel much younger![/quote']

I love-love-love your post. It's like saying your as young as you feel. My husband doesn't plan to ever retire. He is 55. Doesn't look or feel old.

I am four months post-op and 61. I have met lots of people even older so I think they consider weight and co existing conditions more than age. I've lost 50 lbs and still working on 50 more so I believe go for it!! I exercise 1 hour 6 days a week, work full time with no plans to retire and really am beginning to feel much younger!

What an inspiration you are. You go girl.