Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all and good morning from Oregon!

I have enjoyed reading many other posts and I thought it was time for me to post a long one of my own. My surgery date is September 10th in Corvallis, Oregon. Dr. Yarborough will be doing my surgery Rou-en-Y. I started my journey at 256lbs (5'5") and now I'm 240lbs. My program required me to loose 5% of my body weight via a normal diet. This was sooooo difficult for me! A normal diet? Huh? No shakes, bars, pills, or injections? They said, "You're in the real world, we want you to start eating like a real person, in the real world" It was more difficult than I thought it would be but, I finally was able to loose my 12.7lbs to qualify for surgery. The weight doesn't come off like it used to! I had to see the nutritionist about 5 or 6 times, the psychiatrist 2 times (more appointments after surgery also), go to support group, get labs done, get an overnight oximetry done, and probably other things that I can't remember at the moment. Now I'm finally about a week away and I think, "Is this what I really want?" and then I shake my head and say to myself, "ofcourse it is!"

My questions to the people reading this would be, after surgery were you in a lot of pain? Did they weigh you in the pre-op area before surgery? What were you most surprised about after your surgery? What happened to you that you didn't expect after surgery?

My surgery was in 6/4. My weight then was 245. I am currently 198. Surprises....

1. Gas pain was worse than incision pain... Hot liquids, gas x and walking helps.

2. Hormones.... They start to go a bit crazy as they release from the fat. Ride it, try to remember why you did this. Trust me, each day is like my life is starting new. I am so happy

3. Burping and farting.... Lol

4. Runny nose

5. You must drink as much Water as possible, sip, sip all day

6. Stalls... You will hit one at about 4 wks. Just stick with the program, it will happen more than once.

7. Take measurements... You will be amazed

I love the new me and I am only 3 months out. I have lost 47 lbs, the men are coming out of the wood work, and I truly think this was the best thing I have ever done. It is not easy, use this forum. We are all here for you, good luck !!!

My questions to the people reading this would be, after surgery were you in a lot of pain? No I wasn't. I just couldn't sleep well didn't want to hurt my self even though I wasn't in pain.

Did they weigh you in the pre-op area before surgery? I lost 15 pounds in 1 month with a strick 30 day diet. Yes they weight me before surgery.

What were you most surprised about after your surgery? Guys checking me out

What happened to you that you didn't expect after surgery? I feel so sexy and confidence. My husband to be checking me out. Other people to tell me I look good and 10 years younger. To be full with 1/2 cup food. To be happy & have so much energy. To lose a lit of weight in less then 6 months.

Hi Molly and welcome!! I, too, am having my surgery on September 10. I'm also on the West Coast and having my surgery in San Diego. You've asked some great questions, so thanks! And thanks to everyone for the helpful replies! I have heard the gas pain is the worst, but should significantly subside in a few days.

Pain yes but that's why they give you Med's take them it will relax you and help you heal.

Gas pain is the worst but walking helps and is a good start to getting more exersice. So walk but don't over do it take it ez in the beginning.

Incision pain will go way in a few days. You will be tired all the time this to will pass.

What I dident expect was rapid weight loss or as much as I have lost in the first month. I con only hope I lose 28 more pounds in the next month.

Just remember after surgery do as your doctor says and you will be fine

Good luck on the 10

We always room on the losers team for more losers, on this team it's good to be a loser.

Anymore questions just ask

Surgery Anniversary 7/30/12

Wow, Thank you all for answering my questions! I'll probably read them over and over as my surgery date gets closer. lol :)

My surgery was in 6/4. My weight then was 245. I am currently 198. Surprises....

1. Gas pain was worse than incision pain... Hot liquids' date=' gas x and walking helps.

2. Hormones.... They start to go a bit crazy as they release from the fat. Ride it, try to remember why you did this. Trust me, each day is like my life is starting new. I am so happy

3. Burping and farting.... Lol

4. Runny nose

5. You must drink as much Water as possible, sip, sip all day

6. Stalls... You will hit one at about 4 wks. Just stick with the program, it will happen more than once.

7. Take measurements... You will be amazed

I love the new me and I am only 3 months out. I have lost 47 lbs, the men are coming out of the wood work, and I truly think this was the best thing I have ever done. It is not easy, use this forum. We are all here for you, good luck !!![/quote']

EVERYTHING she said :)

Its weird how much you burp and its so random and constant.

I felt drained for the first week... No energy what so ever, but it cones back. Even taking a shower took ALL of my energy! It comes back :) best of luck!

Surgery 7/25/12

How much did you lose Paul in the mth?

My questions to the people reading this would be, after surgery were you in a lot of pain? Did they weigh you in the pre-op area before surgery? What were you most surprised about after your surgery? What happened to you that you didn't expect after surgery?

1. Pain: I wasn't in much pain when I came home, I'd say ache yes. I didn't have gas pain either.

2. weigh pre-op area: I was weighed in the pre-op area just before they had me lay down on the bed.

3. Surprised about: Nausea for me was hard while in the hospital until they found the right med that worked for me. Once they did I was fine and they gave me a prescription for some for home when needed. I only needed it for a short time.

4. What happened to me that I wasn't expecting: An infection in one of my incision sites. I asked my doctor and she said about 10% of patients will get one. It was in my main (left side) incision site and felt like a hockey puck under my skin that was read, swollen and painful. They had to re-open the incision in the office to let the infection out and I had to have the wound packed each day for about 3 weeks. Its finally closed now with just some redness and the skin still healing.

I also was happy to not feel hungry and surprised I had to make sure I did eat. I know it's a grace period that won't last forever but, I LIKE IT LOL :) Good luck!

How much did you lose Paul in the mth?

In 30 days I have lost 29 lbs

From the start of this journy 50lbs

My questions to the people reading this would be, after surgery were you in a lot of pain? - Yes, dear God. The pain was unbearable and so uncomfortable. It didn't wear off for about 3 weeks. I cried almost everyday. I literally and physically could not do anything!

Did they weigh you in the pre-op area before surgery? - I have no idea. They gave me some happy calming pills before surgery. I can't remember much.

What were you most surprised about after your surgery? I was surprised it hurt to laugh, cough and I could not twist / turn to wipe on the toilet. They leave that out in the books. :)

What happened to you that you didn't expect after surgery? My period started the day after surgery which gave me more pain and cramping. I also got a uti and a kidney infection that didn't go away for over a month.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

My questions to the people reading this would be' date=' after surgery were you in a lot of pain? Did they weigh you in the pre-op area before surgery? What were you most surprised about after your surgery? What happened to you that you didn't expect after surgery?

1. Pain: I wasn't in much pain when I came home, I'd say ache yes. I didn't have gas pain either.

2. weigh pre-op area: I was weighed in the pre-op area just before they had me lay down on the bed.

3. Surprised bout: Nausea for me was hard while in the hospital until they found the right med that worked for me. Once they did I was fine and they gave me a prescription for some for home when needed. I only needed it for a short time.

4. What happened to me that I wasn't expecting: An infection in one of my incision sites. I asked my doctor and she said about 10% of patients will get one. It was in my main (left side) incision site and felt like a hockey puck under my skin that was read, swollen and painful. They had to re-open the incision in the office to let the infection out and I had to have the wound packed each day for about 3 weeks. Its finally closed now with just some redness and the skin still healing.

I also was happy to not feel hungry and surprised I had to make sure I did eat. I know it's a grace period that won't last forever but, I LIKE IT LOL :) Good luck![/quote']

So sorry you are having to deal with an infection. Just curious...did they have you do any pre-op cleansing (i.e. Hibiclens soap)? I work for a company that manufactures surgical infection prevention products, IV pumps, laparoscopic and surgical instruments, etc. and needless to say, I'm extremely concerned and HAIs (hospital acquired infections) and SSIs (surgical site infections).

Eeeks kiwi. How are you doing now? And that is awesome paul. How did you achieve the weight loss before surgery?

My questions to the people reading this would be, after surgery were you in a lot of pain?

- I had my surgery 8/20 and was in a lot of pain and for me meds were not working. So I was very upset coming on here really helped reading others post and getting support because I was beginning to regret my decision.

Did they weigh you in the pre-op area before surgery?

-Yes I was weighed in pre-op I weighed in at 310.5 as of now I'm at 283.5

What were you most surprised about after your surgery?

-How long it takes me to drink one dang on bottle of Water and the complete lack of appetite!!!

What happened to you that you didn't expect after surgery?

-I started my period too and that really upset me! I was already in pain, couldn't reach well to clean myself and now I had this to deal with.

Weight loss before surgery Wes do to liquid diet. I hate Jello. That and broth were mostly what I had can't gain weight with them