Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

scars, sliming?, alcohol, soda, over worth, etc....you know, the usual :O)

there are a few questions i need some help with. I'm sure some of you have had these questions 100 times, but my searches didnt come up with the results i was looking for.

First of all, what EXACTLY is this "sliming" that i keep hearing about. Does it happen a lot? This sounds like a very negative side affect of having this surgery and doesnt seem too fun to me. Is this a once a year type of occurance, or a once a day or week type of occurance? What causes it? What exactly happens?

Scars. Okay, i grew up on the beach. My town is on the beach and eventhough i've always been over-weight i have always spent a lot of time with my shirt off on the beach. Basically i dont want to go to the beach in the summer time and have a 5 or 6 huge scars on my stomach. I'm sure it will get really annoying if people i know keep asking me, "what are those scars on your stomach" all day long. Are some scars bigger than others? Will the scars completely dissappear? I have read that putting Vitamin E (i think) will help a lot, and that there are other lotions and what not you can help with the scars, but how much do they help? How long exactly does it take for the scars to almost completely heal? Who has spent time in the sun and got a tan with thier scars, and does a tan help cover up the scars somewhat? I have seen a thread on here all about people's scars, but i didnt see too many peopl's scars six monthes or so after their surgery, so if anyone has thier picture that would be good.

alcohol and Soda. Okay, i drink. Not a lot, but i'm in college and i tend to go out with my friends once in awhile (every otherweek or so) and go to the bar. I have heard that the band restricts you enough to where you cant even really drink much pop, so i was wondering if this also happens with beer or if this is just completely a myth. If i choose to drink soda, how much can i drink at a time? If i choose to drink beer, how much can i drink at a time? Willl my stomach feel so full after drinking these that i wont be able to have more than one or two or something like that? What about mixed drinks? Vodka and cranberry or something like that, would that be better to drink while at the bar than beer?

Hiccups. I heard somewhere hiccups are bad with the band. Is this true and if so why?

Throwing up. I cant remember the last time i threw up, but im sure it may happen again in my lifetime. I heard that throwing up will make your band slip. Is this true? if the band does slip, how much does it cost to get it fixed? Does slippage happen very often?

I understand that most people are happy with thier bands, but you have to realize that my BMI is about a 33, so im not EXTREMELY overweight. I just want to make sure that i will be happy with this decision and its trade offs i have talked about here are going to be worth it. So for all of the people on here who have lower BMI's, are you happy with the decision overall? Basically, does the good outweigh the bad?

I know this was long, and there are a lot of questions, but thanks in advance to anyone who helps me out.

ok - here's some answers from my perspective - banded over one year.

sliming - is large amounts of salivia that start when I've gotten something stuck (a too big bite, something not chewed well, a food that won't go down, etc.) - if i start 'spitting' i know i will probably have to throw it up although sometimes it will pass. Early banded i would suffer and suffer and most would go down as I never threw up before banding and despise it. However, now it is easy and i just tilt my head and it will come up (lol) Still hate throwing up and it is not good for the band but it is a different type of throwing up from deep in your stomach (no acidy taste, etc) but still no fun. Also sometimes while the food is coming up a big slime ball of spit will come up when I'm done. Some people NEVER pb (slime + throw up), some more often. Less is better.

Scars - after one year they are very small - the port one is the biggest - some may notice, many won't. you can say you had your gallbaldder out if needed.

Soda - never touch it since banding or beer or champagne or anything carbonated (well, that's a lie I've had a few sips but don't really miss it)

Alcoohol - I do drink occassionally but I am very careful cuz of calories, low tolerance (you aren't eating with liquids) - I've never had more than two drinks after banding.

I've not had hiccups but i do burp a bit when i''m tight, when i overeat, when i ski and it's freezing seems to tighten me up and i burp to relieve pressure

throwing up is awful - i hate it - try to avoid it but still do cuz my band is so frickle - see my comment above as most people do it less than me and some never at all - most imp to follow docs order at the beginning and stay on liquids etc as the band is stiched in and needs to heal to keep it in place. i was on post op l iquids over 3 weeks and that's probably the only thing that has saved me thus far from slippage - thank god it must be in pretty good.

you have less chance of throwing up if you follow the rules but it can still happen.

I'm lower bmi and unfortunatelly nothing seems to get the weight off of me but i am the exception - i continue to try but have pretty much given up and would like to just stay the same - my wieght has maintained for over 6 months which never happened pre band so that is a plus. I eat a ton less food and chew it and eat slower then ever in my life so i guess that is good too. You will most likely lose weight - don't go by me - as I said there are only a few of us and we don't post much - I'm older, have dieted my whole life, and probably have a screwed up metabolism.

good luck to you.