Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally Joined A Gym. Now What?

I after months of hemming and hawing I finally joined a gym. The problem is, I'm terrified to go in that place!

The last time I was in a health club everyone wore leotards and legwarmers! (think Flashdance)!!!!

I actually drove out there yesterday and got as far as the parking lot and drive home. I totally chickened out!

I wish I had someone to go with me!

If any one lives in the SoCal area and goes to 24 Hour Fitness and you wouldn't mind going with a middle aged out of shape woman, let me know!

I was thinking. Since its open 24 hours I could go kind of late and just walk on the treadmill or elliptical or something and check the place out.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

I after months of hemming and hawing I finally joined a gym. The problem is' date=' I'm terrified to go in that place!

The last time I was in a health club everyone wore leotards and legwarmers! (think Flashdance)!!!!

I actually drove out there yesterday and got as far as the parking lot and drive home. I totally chickened out!

I wish I had someone to go with me!

If any one lives in the SoCal area and goes to 24 Hour Fitness and you wouldn't mind going with a middle aged out of shape woman, let me know!

I was thinking. Since its open 24 hours I could go kind of late and just walk on the treadmill or elliptical or something and check the place out.

Any advice would be really appreciated![/quote']

I wish I could be there with you to work out. I can offer great texting conversation so you won't feel alone. ;). I hate working out by myself too.

Haha thanks! That's very sweet of you!

Jenn, I work on an Air Force Base. When I first started going to the gym, I was 250 pounds at 5'2". One day I was at the gym and there were all these cute, young Airmen using the free weights and as I sat down on the ab machine, the seat broke! After trying to fix it for a few minutes, I reported it and left. It was hard to go back, but I did. No one said a word! You can do it. Most people are just concerned with their own progress that they don't care what anyone else is wearing or doing. Everyone has to start somewhere! Go for it! You will be glad you did. Christi

Oh Christi, I'm so sorry that happened to you! Thank you for your encouragement though, it means a lot. If I'm feeling better tomorrow (food poisoning) I will go. I've run out of excuses! LOL

Just put in some head phones and pretend you are the only one there. Find a great playlist for you it will help.

I'm in NorCal but I know how you feel I have 24 fitness, chicks walking around looking at themselves in the mirror. I was the biggest person there. So I started going at 1 am, then I thought I'm here to get healthy. To hell with what other people think. Get some great music and going for yours, you go girl lol

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk

I wish I was there. I wouldn't mind going to the gym. I feeliney but I have a itouch I go to my husband gym & work out 50% of the time I'm alone but I say I can do this.

You can do it don't be afraid. Your not out of shape. Your just very juicy & soon will have many curved.

I've been going for a long time to 24 hour fitness up in Seattle. When I first started I noticed the young fitness buffs usually did not come early in the morning, I guess they need their beauty sleep:). So I go early before work and notice it is mostly middle aged workers and it is so early they pay no attention to anyone else much. Also they are pretty serious about what they are doing so none of the prancing around trying to get attention in fancy workout gear they just need to get er done and get to work!

If I can do this in my 61 year old fat body( on the way to healthy) I know you can. Be encouraged-you will make it!

It took me 6 months of walking in the park with 2 bad knees all winter. In March my weight was staying the same so I felt like I needed to do more. I went to LA fitness which is 2 minutes away and signed up. I bought a skirted bathing suit and started Aquafit classes. Believe me there are no bathing beauties in those classes. A lot of older people with their knee & hip replacement scars. It really got the wt loss going again and I'm having a good time.

Just DO IT. You'll feel so much better.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm going to stop being such a sissy and just go for it :-)

I'll let you know how it goes!

If anyone needs help' date=' I am a trainer and I would love to help![/quote']

I need help!!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-NOTE using RNYTalk

If anyone needs help' date=' I am a trainer and I would love to help![/quote']

After my RNY my guy wants me to do p90x with him mind you I did try it out for a bit "45 days " was so hard at my weight on my knee I gave it hell till my knee gave out like it always seems to

:( so what I'm asking is would that be a good thing to get into when my doc oks it? My RNY is not till late sep 1st week in oct

P.s I hate my phone typing lmao

My job offers a membership to NYSC and well, at 241 not only did I work out alone and had a trainer. I also did what all the skinny thin women did in the locker room...walk around naked. Lol. I admit, it was really because the darn towels didn't wrap around me and they would only cover one body piece at a time. Lol. So I gave up.

You're not going for anyone else but yourself.

It isn't a place to find a date or to look cute. It's a gym, dont let anyone intimidate you.