Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ryan and Zoe, you'll also probably wonder about 2 weeks after surgery, "What have I done?" You'll be "grieving" for your old pal (?) food. But hang in there. It's only a temporary thing. Once you're able to resume eating solid foods, see the scales drop, your clothes are looser, your RXs reduced, and your energy level elevated --- you'll realize there is life out there that doesn't revolve around "the flavor of the day". You're going to do great!

Thanks, Marie. I do feel as if I'm headed for a big change -- one I need and want, but damn it I love my cheesecake! food is an old friend, and it's going to be hard to change our long-standing relationship. But knowing that you and others have made it through the rough Patches helps me realize that I CAN do this. I'm grateful to have discovered this board. Now I have to decide if I'm going to "come out" as a prospective bandster at a family gathering this weekend. I'm thinking not -- not yet, anyway. Maybe after I've lost my spare chin.

Zoe

PS: When I told the surgeon's secretary that my BMI was 39, she said, "Oh, that's small." First time since age three anyone's called me that! Helped put things in perspective.

Originally posted by Zoe

but damn it I love my cheesecake! food is an old friend, and it's going to be hard to change our long-standing relationship.

Zoe

Zoe,

food may be your old friend, but you can change this by considering whether it was a 'real' friend or not. Sometimes, in relationships we choose TOXIC friends/lovers. To me, I wanted food to be my friend, but even as I was adoring it, it was killing my very existence. Krispy Kremes would stab me in the back every time I turned away and Blue Bell ice cream (although I'm still codependently in love with it) cheated on me every time I gave it a chance.

These things ARE NOT my friend! They have coated my arteries with cholesterol and overtaxed my heart which was made for a 5ft 110 pound person to near cardiac arrest. Cheetos stuck by me when I had no one else, but they made every bone in my body ache when I tried to exercise and laughed behind my back.

That pulmonary embolism I had 3 years ago had everything to do with cheeseburgers, fries and Misty menthol Lights.

With friends like these, I sure don't need any enemies.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the wonderful words of encouragement.

I know I can change, and I know I will change. Still, I know I have sabotaged myself in the past, and must be aware of that tendency in me to avoid doing so now.

You guys have voiced the same fears I have. I am always sure I'll be the only one that banding won't work for. I am worried that my head is not in the right place or won't stay in the right place. And yes whippledaddy I too binged just after I'd made my decision to go ahead with the banding. I didn't realize I was doing it until the scale was up 10 lbs.!! Now I have been asked by the doctor to lose 12 lbs. and am having a hard time doing it.

Thanks for all the suggestions and stories that make me feel I'm not alone while I wait for the insurance to give me a positive answer.

Denise:nervous

Wise words, Leatha. If someone I cared about was in a relationship with someone who was all sweet on the surface but turned nasty a minute later, who appeared to provide comfort but actually gave heartache (literal and figurative), who always seemed to be there at the right moment but never looked out for anyone else's best interests, I'd advise: Drop him/her ASAP. Of course it's not so easy with food, which is kind of like an ex you reluctantly must keep in at least the periphery of your life forever but to whom you have to cut emotional bonds for your own sake.

I think I've pushed this metaphor as far as it can go.

Eleven days to banding and I'm determined to stay as close to normal as I can. Thanks, everyone. And good luck, Denise.

Zoe

Marie, would you come here every week and make some tuna salad for my fridge? That sounds so good right now! And I do the cranberry Water thing too, so thanks for reminding me to restock.

Sue, I tried to PM you but your box was full. You could delete the "sent" stuff to make room. But I can't remember what I was even going to say since it was last week.

Tomorrow's a new day and a new week... time for me to get band-serious again. Any challengers for the week? I challenge YOU (who ever accepts) to exercise and eat 3 meals by chewing slowly with no inbetween Snacks.

Lisa: I challenge you too. LOL!!! Don't we already have a challenge going? Hey I exercise a minimum of 3 and at most 6 days a week already. I am guilty of in between Snacks that I need to cut out. So that challenge will be difficult for me but I am up for it. Eating healthier is always a good challenge.

I up your challenge and raise you a "good deed day". Do one good deed for someone. (IE: Get the mail for an elderly neighbor, walk the neighbors dog, make dinner for someone that is sick, run an errand for someone that is unable to do it themselves, take someone to a movie, read a book to a child, etc).

Any takers?

We should report back what we did and how it made us feel.

I'm all about this challenge!!

Penni & Lisa you are on!

Penni love the good deed idea, I'm a firm believer in random acts of kindness..Its something I live by! I'm all for it

I started my Water aerobics full force last week..3-5 times a week 45 minutes a day. I eat pretty healthy now with no in between Snacks but I know I can do better getting my Water in and working out harder...this is going to be great! Can't wait to weigh in tomorrow for my weekly scale challenge and then start this new challenge. Such motivation, I love it!

Well, the doing a good deed thing is already part of my secret world. I spent years going to OA, and there's a "Just for Today" list that I "try" to live by as best as I can, and the "do a good deed" thing is supposed to be "do a good deed without anyone knowing you did it." Otherwise it doesn't count in my head. But I'll make my neighbor, Fred, his welding cap he requested since he just shaved his head bald. How's that? Today's eating was like pre-band. If I don't get back on track I'll be asking Safe Nest and the Vets for my biggy clothes back.