Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Hungary Are You Post Op?

I Haven't quite worked out from posts and speaking to doctors etc. whether I will feel hungry following surgery. They say things like "you will know when your pouch is full". Is that because I won't feel hungry anymore? Can someone help me understand how this works? Thanks :)

I'm almost never hungry and you learn by trial and error when your pouch is full. If you overeat you'll feel afterwards. Take it slow. It takes some time tinley chew properly and tinley eat slowly.

I hardly ever feel hungry. If I am a little sip of Water does the trick. I am on prednisone (steroids) for rhuematoid arthritis and before surgery I was HUNGRY all the time. I would wake up at 3:00am from a dead sleep hungry. It is the nature of that medication. After the surgery I have been overjoyed that I am never hungry. My problem with that is that I am usually forcing myself to eat an that is getting harder and harder. I am still learning what I can and can not eat. You do know when your pouch is full. Please also remember everyone is different.

Surgery date 6/5/12 weighed 255 current 224.

I Haven't quite worked out from posts and speaking to doctors etc. whether I will feel hungry following surgery. They say things like "you will know when your pouch is full". Is that because I won't feel hungry anymore? Can someone help me understand how this works? Thanks :)

Well the way you will know you are full is when there is a feeling of fullness and satisfaction. Don't overfill your new stomach though because you will have such a strong sensation to vomit and very violently. and as time goes by your brain will automatically know what your limit is because it's used to eating a certain amount all the time but that's what happened in my case I don't know if everyone kinda feels that way but I hope it helps you at least a little bit

Well the way you will know you are full is when there is a feeling of fullness and satisfaction. Don't overfill your new stomach though because you will have such a strong sensation to vomit and very violently. and as time goes by your brain will automatically know what your limit is because it's used to eating a certain amount all the time but that's what happened in my case I don't know if everyone kinda feels that way but I hope it helps you at least a little bit

Loving the hair :)

I get a small pain when I'm full.

I was not hungry at all after surgery, I am not 10 wks post op and do get hungery but the second I eat a tablespoonfull of something I immediately start to feel full. The foods use to love and crave I no longer want to even look at them.

I am one month ANSI am not hungry at all. To me it feels like I ate the biggest meal of my life the day before and I'm still feeling the effects.

Most folks seem to find that they are not hungry for a period of time following the surgery. I was not hungry at all for the first four to five weeks. But it does pass and that's a good thing. Hunger is just your body's way of telling you it's time to eat something. The key is to never allow yourself to get overly hungry which greatly increases the chances that you will overeat. I have a rule that I follow without exception - never eat less than two hours apart or more than four hours apart. Less than two hours and what you're feeling is likely "head hunger" as opposed to physical hunger. Over four hours and you run the risk of getting overly hungry - if it's been four hours, I eat something, whether I'm hungry or not.

"You will know when your pouch is full" really does just about say it all. The underlying message is that you want to become dialed in to what your pouch is telling you. Stop eating at the first feeling of "fullness". Expect that feeling to come much more quickly and after eating much less than you have experienced in the past. Eating too quickly or too much often results in anything from pain to an uncomfortable feeling of just being overly full. Remember too that it takes 15-20 minutes for "full" to reach your brain so it's important to eat slowly. You can find more tips in my post "Managing Hunger" here on the forum.