Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Just Us Guys

We've got 4 of us now who want to do the weight loss challenge. Since we're all with in reach of 200 flat, maybe we should make that our goal. I know, I for one, will do frikkin cart wheels when I see 199 for the first time. Obviously, the prize of making the loser post a pic of himself in a pink tutu (sp?) on the before/after board wasn't very popular (I was only kidding btw anyway).

Got an idea! Why don't we just open up a "Guys Only Challenge"? Regardless of your starting weight. I really don't want to exclude any one who wants to join in. Maybe the low man after a month or two would have to post daily for a month in the threads that guys normally wouldn't post (the "touchy-feely" threads, PMS, etc.) or document that they watch Opra for a week (or tape it and watch it).

Any other thoughts?

Bruce

I'd be up for a challenge. I need something to help me refocus on getting the weight off. Between school, work, family and general stress I haven't been as focused as I need to be.

Hi all, Been lurking on this form for a couple of months, so I finally signed up and start posting. Banded on 4/11/07.

Some of my details:

I am 58, my weight the day I was banded 382. Diabetic having trouble controlling my blood sugar levels, sleep apnea and other aliments.

Surgery went good, used Dr Robert Cater in Arlington, Tx, in at 6:00 am out at 10:00 am. When I woke up the gas pain was BAD, but dissipated by the next day and soreness on one of the many holes in my belly.

First day, just Water.< /p>

Day 2 -5: Clear Liquids, discovered that low-sodium chicken broth is nasty stuff just to drink, the regular kind tasted great.

Day 6+: Soups, yogurt, etc. I'm feeling great, blood sugar is good I'm not feeling hungry or deprived.

I feel a clear, calm focus on my weight loss. Life is Good!

Hi there RicT, I think you will enjoy the forum, keep us informed as to how you are doing. I was banded on April 5th so i am just ahead of you in the cycle. I am not feeling too much restriction right now so I am realying on being able to just follow the diet and you know how well I have done with that so far. What I like about this forum is that you can talk to guys who have experienced everything we are going to.

Hey Jesse, 112 pounds lost, wow, you look great! (I mean that in a guy way) Tell us about your journey!

Hey Dave - Thanks for the boost. My journey was a simple one.

I used to be into the gym and lifting weight. General fitness but not a fitness freak. Then, I met my wife. We went out every night, wining and dining, and I spent less and less time in the gym. Well, years down the road, and me getting bigger and bigger (topping off at almost 350 at 6'0") I was ready to try anything. My wife and I found out I was going to be a father, so I committed to losing the weight, but I needed the tool that only the band could give me.

My insurance wouldn't cover it, but my wife was supportive, and so, we put it on credit cards (ugh). Well, $19k later, the surgery was done, and I was on my way to what you see in my signature now. I was banded on January 30th, 2006. In November, I started working out again. Now, I'm down to a 36" waist (from 48") and wearing regular Large t-shirts (down from 3XL), so I am very pleased with where I've come in little over a year.

I've never had a fill, and honestly, after my 3 month checkup, I haven't see my doctor or any other person who's had a band, so this is where I go for my morale boost when I need it. I continue to lose weight at a much slower rate (maybe 2-3 lbs a month) but I'm replacing a lot of the fat with muscle so I'm not really hung up on the weight numbers as much anymore.

Now, I have a beautiful daughter who is 18 months old, and all the motivation I need to continue my journey. I do it for as much her as I do myself.

Me before

attachment.php?attachmentid=7461&d=1168971910

Hello,

I like the men only post and the idea of a challenge. I got banded 9/6/06 and have not ben agressive at getting the weight off. Having the VG band, I felt no restriction after the liquid phase, but did no get my first fill untill December and then finally got my second fill a couple of months ago. I feel enough restriction that I notice it, but it is not to restriced. Probably, about the right spot 7.5 cc.

I have lost 40 pounds with the band and have recently stalled out due entirely to a lack of focus, so the idea of a challenge is appealing to me. I started at 330 lbs. and am now at 290 lbs.

While I am not losing much right now, the greatest thing about the band is that I am not gaining weight right now. I remember on diets before the band I would lose about 40 pounds every year and by the end of each year would end up weighing more then I did at the begining of the year.

Now I have lost 40 pounds, have not be focused and am maintaining my weight loss. So now it is time to get focused and see if some more weight would like to come off.

Thanks for starting this thread. I like it.

Take Care

Phil

that's a great story jesse. I have a 2yr old son now and started this band thing when he was born. I was up to 270 around the time he was born. I'm an active guy and wanted to have the stamina to teach him how to wake board, golf, ski/snowboard, and otherwise just be an energetic father. I also want to teach him the value of exercise and nutrition...something my parents never did. I'm down about 45lbs from when he was born and can tell a huge difference. I actually started lifting again this week..

I'm only 19 but already, my life of overindulgence is catching up to me...tipping the scales at nearly 320lbs, i am hoping to share your success. Only 2 weeks to go.

Hey Jesse, I can't believe that you have never had a fil. Do you feel restriction or is this will power on your part?

I took a look at the before picture, it doesn't even look like you!

Hey Dave - Never had a fill and I really can't be sure if its willpower or if its restriction. I definitely feel full after 6-8 ounces of food, so there is definitely restriction there, but knowing that I can't gorge myself also creates a psychological cutoff point for me, so I limit what I eat before I even start eating.

I look back at the pictures of me from "before" and I don't feel like the same person either. Looks aside, I feel like I have a different life.

I'd like to congratulate Jessie also! That's awesome! Stories like your's, ousoonner and others keep us going. Going to dust off my Crossbow (like Bowflex) and get with it.

Guys, for those interested in the challenge, I listed my starting weight (233), in my signature. This should be a for fun project where no one is a loser and we all root for each other. I hope it's a tie and we all lose a bunch. Why don't we go through May and see how it goes? If any one else has any ideas, PLEASE speak up.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!

Bruce

Jessie,

Your story sounds alot like mine, and my band journey began after my son was born and I realized that I wanted to be around to see the milestones in his life.

I have a question. Do you have a hard time putting on muscle with the limited amount of food that we bandsters can eat. Right now I am doing major cardio, but eventually want to start lifting again and putting on some more lean mass.

Congrats,

Andrew