Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Zoloft users

Afternoon, everyone! I am considering having the Lap Band procedure done. I was wondering if anyone here has had it done while taking Zoloft? Two months ago, while driving to work, I had a panic attack. I don't have them any other time, and don't know why this suddenly cropped up. Anyhow, just wanted to give you a brief history about my situation, I am in great health otherwise- I walk many miles a week, but the weight seems to not want to come off. Currently, I am 117 pounds overweight.

Thanks ahead of time for your help, and I look forward to chatting with you all on here!

Hi Audrey...

I am taking Zoloft for the EXACT same problem! I have panic attacks while driving... it started out of the blue and I lived with it for 2 years before finally seeing somebody about it. I was banded 6/30/04 and continue to take Zoloft daily. Good luck on your journey to being banded!

Darcy

Darcy,

Thankyou so very much for your reply. I was so worried that I might not be able to do this, because of the Zoloft. I am going to find out how to go about this procedure tommorrow. My doctor didn't want me to think about until I was on the Zoloft for at least two months.

Thanks again, you gave me a ray of hope tonight. :) Best of luck to you on your journey to weight loss!

Audrey

I did not take Zoloft

but did take Paxil..same anti depressant family. The paxil is why I'm here today.

I 'm 38 yrs old but when I was 29 yrs old I had lost 100 pounds all on my own with hard work and determination...at age 35 I was put on Paxil & Xanax for depression/ panic attacks & anxiety issues when I had MAJOR tragedy hit my family. While on the Paxil, nothing in my daily routine changed, I ate the same exercised the same, my activities were the same, but I was gaining weight, now after keeping the 100 pounds I had lost for well over 5 years I was baffled as to why I was gaining weight. I know they tell you a womans metabolism changes when she hits 35 but that could not be the reason for me to put on so much weight. SO I went back to my doctor and he told me anti depressants will slow down the bodys metabolic rate to almost zero. *sighs* wish he would of told me that before putting me on the paxil. He then prescribed me the Phen Phen, he said alot of women are now doing the Pro (for prozac) Phen (for phentermine) diet. Many women put on weight with any kind of anti depressant and no matter how hard they try it is very difficult for the weight to come off. I finally told the doctor to ween me off of the paxil, the weight gain was making me more depressed then the depression I was taking it for. I also took xanax for anxiety also, since being banded and losing some weight I have only taken it maybe 1-2 times in 4 months which I used to take it daily. Now that Im feeling good about myself and have some self esteem back I do not get my panic attacks or anxious moments.

Good Luck to you Audrey.. I hope everything works out for you.

very interesting about metabolism and anti-depressants. i've also been on the zoloft/xanax regime for a few years for the same reason(s).... and, like michelle, have seen a significant decrease in the xanax use since losing weight...

since i'm unfilled because of a slipped band, i've been wanting to get my doctor to wean me off zoloft and switch to meridia to help with the appetite...

i'll get on that a lot faster now that i've read this...always felt like something just wasn't right with my metabolism (or do you think it's b/c i just LOVE to eat??!!)

elizabeth

8-28-03

-50 (includes the seven lbs gained since unfill 6-21-04)

Me, too. Me, too. The psychiatrist who prescribed Zoloft for me a few years ago warned me that she wanted me off it by the 2 year mark because, if you take it longer than 2 years, you can expect weight gain. So, with therapy and stuff, I was off at the 2 year point - gained weight, though. I think it was actually that last bunch of pounds that put me into the WLS mode of thinking. I had been hovering at about 30 pounds less than now for several years. But I think it may actually have been the Zoloft that sealed the fate of my already sluggish metabolism. Darn, that Zoloft really worked well. I could have stayed on it forever if not for the side effects.

The Paxil worked great for me too..I know what you mean when you say the Zoloft sealed your fate..same here!! I hovered at 65 pounds less then now for years. SInce surgery I have gotten 41 of it off.I tried everything, phen phen, WW, Curves, Atkins and countless other fad diets and diets nothing worked ... I'm so thankful to my band!

I guess you have to weigh both sides... (this really has nothing to do with the band)

My husband started on Paxil 10mg in January after several attempts of other things for anxiety. His DR. said that he MAY gain weight, but since the dose was so low that it wouldnt be much of a gain. We live waaaay down south here in the bayou land - hotter then Hell! And guess what his occupation is??? Mailman!

He DID gain about 6-10 pounds in the first 4 or 5 months, but the heat has helped him take it back off. The reason Im responding to this is because regardless of a 10 or even 20 pound gain... he's much better to live with :)

So, I praise God for Paxil..... b/c the other option was DIVORCE court!

New to the forum but had to reply to this first. I have been taking anti-depressants for about 6 years. They all make you gain weight - until now. I have been on one called Lexapro which for me has had the affect of DECREASING APPETITE - finally! It was a vicious circle - depressed because of weight, taking anti-depressants, putting on more weight. Lexapro (not sure who makes it) is great, especially since I am two weeks away from my lap-band surgery and eating rabbit food and Protein Drinks. Looking at everyone's comments - it has been difficult to find this sort of feedback and I am feeling less anxious and more excited as the date draws near. :D