Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

People don't really die from VSG right?

Of course i know it's a risk and have had a robust conversation with my surgeon about the pros/cons but now that i've been approved and scheduled for October i feel excited but also terrified. Terrified of not waking up, complications etc......

My surgeon and hospital i'm using has an excellent track record but I can't shake this nervous feeling. Maybe it's because i've never had surgery. Hope it's just pre-surgery jitters.

First, congrats for your decision to have VSG and change your life. It is a step forward.

With that being said, there are risks for having pretty much any medical procedure. A friend of the family died from a freak accident during an angiogram. Yes, people have died. The chances are very low, but unfortunately it can happen.

I was scared like crazy the day of my surgery. I cried all morning and kept thinking: What if?? What if?? But I went forward and 6 weeks out, I am happy I did it. Its a personal choice though - only YOU can make the decision for YOU.

There are the risks associated with any major surgery. If you feel really concerned, speak with your MD - he/she knows your history. Have you ever had general anesthesia? Odds are on your side, everyone on this site who had the sx put themselves at some level of risk - you could also die of heart attack, stroke and/or diabetes related illnesses. You have be informed and make the best decision for you.

Talk to your doctor about the experiences in his/her practice. They should be able to tell you the percentage, if any.

I totally understand. I am 3 months post sleeve op. I had the jitters too and actually most everyone seems to have some kind of anxiety. If you talk to your doctor you will see that the statistics are very low. They do so many of these sleeve operations these days. I had to look at where I was with my health and weigh the pros and cons. I have an 8 year old that I wanted to be around for and my health was really taking a beating. I have to say it was the best decision of my life and would do it again in a heart beat. Like you that was the only thing I was scared of. Not waking up.

One thing I did was make sure I had things in place like our Will and What if something happened and I felt much more releaved walking into Surgery. You will do fine and keep positive thoughts. You can do it! I wish you the best of luck! :) s

Talk to your doctor about the experiences in his/her practice. They should be able to tell you the percentage, if any.

No deaths in the practice. Again highly capable surgeon. It's very reassuring but i'm still nervous as hell

I was scared like crazy the day of my surgery. I cried all morning and kept thinking: What if?? What if?? But I went forward and 6 weeks out, I am happy I did it. Its a personal choice though - only YOU can make the decision for YOU.

Oh i feel like i'll probably burst into tears at the hospital. This is the right step for me and I'm committed to doing the work but doesn't help with the nerves. I wonder of requesting a tour of the facility might help.

The only time I have ever been afraid of surgery was shortly after my husband passed away and I had to have spinal fusion. I was terrified of leaving our 8 year old son alone. Everything went fine, no problems. Since then I have had 2 more spinal surgeries lasting more than 7 hours and nothing happened.

I have no fear of the VSG surgery. It seems like a piece of cake after what I have already been through.

VSG was my first surgery. there wasn't anything anyone could tell me that would make me NOT worry about this. About wakin up during the procedure. About NOT waking up from the procedure. About a leak. About busting my sleeve open.... I had all the same thoughts and fears and if you didn't have them you wouldn't be normal. Everything went great, my surgery lasted all of 37 minutes. You'll do fine!

Yes, you can die from VSG- death is a risk with any major surgery. This is one of the reasons why the pre-op process is so long and so many tests are required. Some people, like myself, feel that the risk is worth taking, and it was a good call for me. Other people have decided that it was not worth the risk and have decided not to go through with the surgery. However, it is completely normal to be nervous before surgery and even consider cancelling it- I know I did. When your surgery day comes, you will know in your heart what the right choice is for you.

The fact of the matter is complications happen. sometimes those complications lead to death.

This is a major surgery, not to be entered into lightly.. We have lost 3 members that I'm aware of, from this forum alone in the last year..

Does this mean you shouldn't get the surgery?

No! For me the bigger risk was dying from weight related illnesses. I was already taking high blood pressure meds that were not controlling it the way the doctors would of liked.

My doctor never had a death from doing the sleeve, but did this mean it wouldn't happen to me?? No..

There are no guarantees, this is life.

You have to decide if this is right for you and that you understand the risks and are willing to take them (large or small) at a shot for a longer healthier life.

Good Luck to you,

Laura

I was really nervous too, and I had had several surgeries before that went smoothly PLUS I work in the healthcare field. Once I got past the surgery and was feeling "recovered", I realized that my fear wasn't about the surgery, or side effects, but facing the reality that my relationship with food will be forever changed. That was a HUGE deal for me and was the root of my anxiety. The good news is that 4 months post surgery, I feel like I have made a lot of progress in dealing with my food issues. I am really glad I had the surgery and love the positive results I have seen so far!

I feel like I am constantly repeating myself over this issue...I was one of the few who almost died after complications with the sleeve...I got a leak and did go septic and spent 5 months in the hospital trying to recover...11 surgeries later and now 11 months into it...I am a different person...Finally I am living..I was only existing before..

You can have your teeth out and die from that...Just because your other surgeries have been a breeze does not mean this one will be...The surgeon I had has a great record....I was the worst case he has ever dealt with....

I am so happy I did it and would do it again in a flash! 160 lbs. down and counting...

Tonight at a restaurant I sat in a booth....have not been able to in decades....Just one of the many many wonderful things that have changed for me!!!!!

I feel like I am constantly repeating myself over this issue...I was one of the few who almost died after complications with the sleeve...I got a leak and did go septic and spent 5 months in the hospital trying to recover...11 surgeries later and now 11 months into it...I am a different person...Finally I am living..I was only existing before..

You can have your teeth out and die from that...Just because your other surgeries have been a breeze does not mean this one will be...The surgeon I had has a great record....I was the worst case he has ever dealt with....

I am so happy I did it and would do it again in a flash! 160 lbs. down and counting...

Tonight at a restaurant I sat in a booth....have not been able to in decades....Just one of the many many wonderful things that have changed for me!!!!!

i, too almost lost my life last summer....complications still, but i made the choice-i live with the outcomes. i hope those that are so worried about complications really look at the outcomes you are looking for with wls. no regrets here- a minor pity party now and then! but overall, if you trust your medical providers i think that if you need the surgery, go for it!