Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am in the process of getting approval for lapband surgery with DR. Billing at Puget Sound Surgical Center Edmonds, WA. I am hopeing for a banding date in Febuary. I am having second thoughts,,,,does any one regret it?:phanvan I am 5'2 and weigh 240 pounds, I recently lost and gained 45 pounds on the adkins diet. I have Diabetes, chronic low back pain, heart problems, knee joint problems and most recently have been diagnosed with Gout:omg: YAY! LOL, so basically I am a mess! :help: I read about the requirements after the lap band, no soda, ever:omg: wow! I cant imagine never drinking a coke again. No liguids with your meals, ever! WOW, thats gonna be hard too, always eat protien first, then fruit/veggies, then carbs, always, ok that sucks too. Are all of you really sticking to this diet everyday, cause if i just do that diet alone without the lap band I could lose the weight, so why bother?? Also, if I have to be on a all liguid diet after the surgery, will I be weak? realistly how long will I need off work? Then they start talking about blockage,,,OK that sounds scary, and painfull, cause I really love corn on the cobb!! and my pills, what if they got stuck, hard to crush up a vicoden and eat it, i'd be FLYIN:eek: . So any words of in-couragement, dis-couragement will be greatly appreciated!!

Hi Lucy, getting the lapband has truly changed my life. The post op diet is easy. You just have to be patient and drink Protein Shakes. I didn't feel weak. I consumed as much as possible. My surgery was on a Tuesday and I returned to work the following Monday without any problems. I eat whatever I want, just smaller portions. bread and eggs are the 2 things that I cannot eat. Don't be scared but that is natural. I cried right before surgery. I was thinking about how much I felt let down because of all my past diets. That is when I felt the most relief just letting it go. Best of luck to you. I don't regret it for a minute.

I think the only regret I'll have is not having it done sooner.

Giving up soda, I imagine, would be better than living with gout, NO???

There is alot of give and take with the band. You give it respect, it takes down your weight.

Thanks you two! I rally needed the encouragement, I guess it is natuaral to feel scared, depressed, thinking I am such a loser I have to have surgery to stop pigging out and making myself so fat! I'm excited to wear my skinny clothes, any idea how much wight I can expect to lose in the 1st 6 months??

Wow, how helpful you all are. I go for my Seminar Visit and consultation with the Dr (SPIVAC) on Saturday. I am 260#, 50 years old, high blood pressure, thyroid problems, gall bladder all ready out and am so ready for this. Looking forward to reading more here.

This is a scary process. You are talking about totally changing your life and giving up the "comfort" you have now in your eating habits. I don't regret it for a second, it has been the best thing I have ever done for myself. My only regret is that I didn't know about the band sooner!

You are totally normal to be scared and nervous... I sure was!! I personally don't have a problem taking pills whole so that hasn't been an issue for me. As far as food goes, the only thing I have trouble with and avoid is bread.... which is really no biggie... I was a HUGE bread addict!

My best advice would be to understand that the band is not a magic bullet... it will not solve all your problems for you and losing the weight will take some effort on your part. Once I started losing some weight I started going to the gym a few times a week. I went from walking on the treadmill for 10 minutes at a time to currently training for a 5k! I have always hated excercise but now that I can do it without feeling like my heart is going to explode I find I enjoy it a lot more and it makes me feel good about myself.

Good luck to you and read all that you can here on LBT and ask all the questions you need to. We have all been in your position at one time!

Peace.

Lucy – first off, good luck with the approval, etc.

I can honestly say there is nothing I regret about having the surgery. It has changed my life in so many ways and has helped me to discover the person I used to be. I think it is normal to have 2nd thoughts. I think most of us think, “well if I try a little harder on my own, I can lose the weight this time”. Don’t view the band as the easy way out. It is a tool and you will use it as just that. It helps you eat less but you have to make healthy choices and it helps if you exercise as well. If you make a bad choice you still have the band to help control some aspects of it. You get used to most of the rules. I don’t miss bread that much. I am able to eat corn on the cobb. I’m not sure about the pills because I don’t have to take that many. If you have a sedentary job you could probably get by with 1-2 weeks off work.

5k run! OMG!:omg: I just want to be able to walk normally! Thanks for all of your responses. I realize the band is only a tool, I think I can do it, only becuase I recently stayed on the adkins diet for 6 months and lost 40 pounds, Talk about no bread! LOL I have some trips planned in August, I am excited to fit in the clothes I bought after losing the 40 pounds! Today is the Cardiologists appointment to see if I will be approved, wish me luck!!

Hi Lucy:

I haven't been banded yet, I will be having it done by Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana on Feb 15 and had/have alot of the same doubts/questions you are having. I am going to a food addiction counselor and that is really helping-and even though my insurance won't cover the surgery, they are covering the counselor. It helps to know why I eat what I do, and hopefully the 2 pronged mental/physical approach will help with the restrictions and keeping the weight off. Even with seeing the counselor, I know I still need to get the band. I view it as it's only 3 weeks of liquids, not the rest of my life. I just have to stay focused on the bottom line-less of my bottom!!

Mexico???OMG arent you scared to have surgery in mexico?? I also realize I have mental issues, food addictions ect. I have put on wieight to keep men away so they could not hurt me any more, who wants a fat chick, right? LOL I wouldnt even know if a guy was flirting with me, I have been single for seven year, way too long, I need to start living again.

Check soem of my pictures out on my "myspace"

www.myspace,com/chains4brains

Thanks Leatha, :clap2: congrats on your weight loss! Right now I'm not expecting to weigh 120 pounds, yeah It would be nice, I would be smookin!:kiss2: lol, I started a list of things I want.

1.) I want to be able to walk like a normal person, for long distances.

2.) I am a groupie (see more at www.myspace.com/chains4brains) I want to be able to stand in front of the stage and rock with my boys all night long!:hippie: :Banane44: :rockon: :note:

3.) I want to be able to cross my legs

4.) to be able to see/touch my feet

5.) to be able to see what I am shaving

6.) to wear non plus size clothes

7.) wear sexy bra and panties

8.) I wanna ride on the back of Harley over the North Cascades Hwy with a hot guy in the front.

I'm sure this list will grow but right now its just the simple things I am looking forward to.:D:)

Hi Lucy:

You asked if I was scared to go to Mexico for the surgery and I'm not. I'm lucky enough to live in San Diego, so I took the trolley down to TJ one day and met with the doctor and his staff. Plus, I've talked with former patients on this forum, so I've done my homework. The doctor told me only 2% of his patients meet him before surgery-they are far more brave than I! I understand the fat as a protection device (we are talking about that in therapy) but I want to know what it's like to be a "thin" person. I have 80lbs to lose, and I'm tired of not doing things because of my size.

me too Victoria,. I am really looking fwd to being normal again, I was not always over wieight, I weighed 120 pounds at the age of 17 and did get really fat until I was about 28