Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"My perfect self"...am I ready for this!?!

I'm so glad you've found this thread mouse! I'm happy that there is someone else with similar thinking about that this process. Life really is too short to be Debbie downer. Laughter and positivity tends to take you farther.

I would to brag that my cholesterol dropped 25 whole points just by upping my Vitamin d! How's that for bragging about my labs?! Plus, I haven't had the surgery yet either!

I also could sit and tell everyone that I'm doing it to improve my PCOS, hypothyroidism, hypertension and ventricular hypertrophy..but I like sticking with looking hot for that jogging commercial instead.

Here's my info, shoot me an email anytime! I would love a buddy threw this journey! My husband can only offer so much one liners til I'm feeling like he just doesn't get it!

Kelly

Kittyredcake@gmail.com

. We've all had to chat with the psyc at some point and if they think we've got our heads in the right place than that's all that matters.

:-)

I don't know about that. My psych eval was pretty weak. He wanted to make sure I didnt have a severe eating disorder. But as far being prepared for what was coming....nothing he said scratched the surface. There are going to be issues. Some people deal with them just fine. But everyday there are posts here by people who are freaking out because they can't eat a cheeseburger or they're remorseful about having surgery at all because it's hard and they can't dull the emotional pain with a load of food.

Not to mention the heaps of panic attacks posted everyday by people who aren't losing weight as fast as they should.

I'm just saying that the psych eval doesn't mean much.

My wife says I'm perfect just the way I am........(just goes to show you how skewed people's viewpoint can be). I'm my worst critic, so I know I'll never be perfect. Frankly I'm striving for just staying alive. ;)

I don't know about that. My psych eval was pretty weak. He wanted to make sure I didnt have a severe eating disorder. But as far being prepared for what was coming....nothing he said scratched the surface. There are going to be issues. Some people deal with them just fine. But everyday there are posts here by people who are freaking out because they can't eat a cheeseburger or they're remorseful about having surgery at all because it's hard and they can't dull the emotional pain with a load of food.

Not to mention the heaps of panic attacks posted everyday by people who aren't losing weight as fast as they should.

I'm just saying that the psych eval doesn't mean much.

Yes, your right about that. The psych eval was a poor example, I'll admit that.

I know that for me, I've had 8 YEARS of psych therapy to prepare myself for this journey.

My only hope is that others don't 'judge' someone else just because they've got a different set of coping skills.

I need this surgery to save my life, quite literally. I still prefer to use laughter and positive things to keep it light. It works for me, but not for a lot of others on this forum.

I happened to get lucky and found a few others who can relate to where I'm coming from.

I fully appreciate reading those posts you mention where someone's freaking over that cheeseburger or pissed because they can't eat heaps of food now. It shows me that it's going to require determination, tons of hard work, and it's not always going to be fun. I'm ok with that. I'm ready for that.

This thread was simply put, a breath of fresh air.

Ummm... I think as I said before that I'm sure everyone would like to look better... Was that my driving force on deciding to have surgery? No.

As my friend Marilyn Manson once said...

"As I see you all sittin' out there trying your hardest not to be ugly."

I'm 47 and know that looking for "perfection"

Is unrealistic.

Does that make me "holier than thou"?

As to whether the op herself is "qualified"?? not my place to say really.. But her original post did ask the question.

As far as humor?

It's a good thing! and trust me you will need it on the rough days for sure.. But, at the end of the day a little seriousness is called for too.

I've not posted pictures of my blood work, but I am VERY PROUD of my gains in health like my blood work and getting off meds for high blood pressure!

But I think focusing on health is the most important thing. I guess in some people's eyes this makes me the things said above?

Am I holier than thou? A Debbie downer??

I think not, I'm a woman that likes to live, laugh and love in reality.

I do feel better and more attractive, but about a million miles from perfect. I have to watch the negative self talk. After fitting comfortably in size 6 clothes (and not those gigantic vanity size 6s!) I was excited for bathing suit season- right until I tried three or forty on looking for one that fit OK. Also has a crappy experience at Victoria Secret trying on bras. I don't have nearly as much extra skin as some, but it's too much for their bras. Also, I really hate the extra skin. Not enough to have plastics because they are expensive and I'm just not up for more surgeries. But I do feel like I look WAY better at 135 instead of 254. Perfect? No, but much improved!

Lynda

Ummm... I think as I said before that I'm sure everyone would like to look better... Was that my driving force on deciding to have surgery? No.

Is unrealistic.

As to whether the op herself is "qualified"?? not my place to say really.. But her original post did ask the question.

As far as humor?

It's a good thing! and trust me you will need it on the rough days for sure.. But' date=' at the end of the day a little seriousness is called for too.

I've not posted pictures of my blood work, but I am VERY PROUD of my gains in health like my blood work and getting off meds for high blood pressure!

But I think focusing on health is the most important thing. I guess in some people's eyes this makes me the things said above?

I think not, I'm a woman that likes to live, laugh and love in reality.[/quote']

I sincerely hope you didn't think I meant you when I mentioned Debbie downer. I did not mean to offend anyone, wasn't speaking about any one poster in particular.

I actually love reading your posts because your honest and real with humor tossed in.

:-)

I think that many people have dreamed up the "perfect self" but most people know that's not exactly how it turns out...

I wasn't nervous at all not even during surgery prep and I think i terrified my nurse a bit because I was so calm.

I knew exactly what I was getting into, I knew it wasn't going to be a miracle surgery and pounds and excess skin were just going to fly away by themselves.

I knew the work I was ready to put in and I knew it was going to change my life in a positive way for my health.

Everyone I knew supported me in my decision, friends family coworkers. Except one brother who was there at the hospital the day if my surgery because at the end of the day I'm his sister and he was there to support me.

After surgery wasn't always easy some days were really hard. Some nights I couldn't sleep at all and others I slept like a baby. My skin broke out in an allergic reaction to what I know know is artificial sweeteners they use in the Protein powders. So I can only use stevia which I usually use for everything else anyway but the Protein powders/drinks are made with others so I can't drink them. Had to get creative a bit but none the less its one more thing learned. I completely hate the taste of chocolate it repulses me! Lol things change and have accepted each change and each thing as this is my new life... It's not a diet. This is part of who I am now.

So yeah sometimes I can look to the future and see myself enjoying a day playing softball with my family.... But I don't think that's abnormal.

I sincerely hope you didn't think I meant you when I mentioned Debbie downer. I did not mean to offend anyone' date=' wasn't speaking about any one poster in particular.

I actually love reading your posts because your honest and real with humor tossed in.

:-)[/quote']

Oh well then! Welcome aboard! (Complements will get you everywhere with me by the way)

:D

I know you weren't speaking to me directly.

And as I said laughter is important to all of us on this ride....

At least that's what I was telling myself this morning when I stuffed myself into my vanity sized 8 jeans (juniors yay!) this morning :P

Sod the jogging commercial. I'm going for rollerskating along a tropical beach promenade in white lycra mini-shorts, listening to 80's soft-rock whilst using sanitary protection for the first time in years, with Angelina Jolie and Jennifer Anniston as cheerleaders shouting 'you're worth it' as I flip my (no doubt) threadbare but shiny, fragrant locks (and a 'bird') in their general direction.

I say as long as you're compos mentis about the cons (which you clearly are), you have every right to revel in the potential pros. As Oscar Wilde once said: 'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.'

You go, girls! x

Bottom line - only you can answer whether or not you are taking this seriously enough. I asked myself numerous times if I was. Looking back, I think it was a kind of temperature check. Was I understanding the risks sufficiently? Was I understanding that it might not work for me? Was I doing it for the right reasons? Was I "worthy" of insurance approval as I was a lightweight? I kept checking on my motivation for months - even while waiting to be taken back to the OR. I wanted to make sure I would have no regrets. - and I don't. Regardless of whether or not I am ultimately successful long term I am happy that I did this.

Is unrealistic.

As far as humor?

It's a good thing! and trust me you will need it on the rough days for sure.. But' date=' at the end of the day a little seriousness is called for too.

I think not, I'm a woman that likes to live, laugh and love in reality.[/quote']

My post of holier than thou persons were not directed at you. I have had people harass me on that level. You shouldn't assume all posts made on a topic pertain to your posts since neither Gomekast nor I specifically mentioned you as a culprit. And yes, I too have read some of your other posts and have found them entertaining, guess I am a bit baffled by what seems to be defensive posts. Again truly, wasn't referring to you in my post.

I think anyone that has high blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol, hypertension etc. that has succeeded in lowering through this surgery, or dieting and exercise in general is going to be mighty proud of that achievement. I was simply pointing out that, although they are, that's not the results 90% of people go about showing off. It's perfectly fine to be a little bit vane now and then, I don't think I've met anyone of this forum that is guilty of being conceded lol.

Sod the jogging commercial. I'm going for rollerskating along a tropical beach promenade in white lycra mini-shorts' date=' listening to 80's soft-rock whilst using sanitary protection for the first time in years, with Angelina Jolie and Jennifer Anniston as cheerleaders shouting 'you're worth it' as I flip my (no doubt) threadbare but shiny, fragrant locks (and a 'bird') in their general direction. x[/quote']

I laughed out loud. You had me at Lycra mini shorts.

My post of holier than thou persons were not directed at you. I have had people harass me on that level. You shouldn't assume all posts made on a topic pertain to your posts since neither Gomekast nor I specifically mentioned you as a culprit. And yes' date=' I too have read some of your other posts and have found them entertaining, guess I am a bit baffled by what seems to be defensive posts. Again truly, wasn't referring to you in my post.

I think anyone that has high blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol, hypertension etc. that has succeeded in lowering through this surgery, or dieting and exercise in general is going to be mighty proud of that achievement. I was simply pointing out that, although they are, that's not the results 90% of people go about showing off. It's perfectly fine to be a little bit vane now and then, I don't think I've met anyone of this forum that is guilty of being conceded lol.

[/quote']

As far as assuming these posts were about me?

If I had thought that, I would of quoted said posts.

I was giving my opinion on what weight loss surgery means to me.. It was not defensive, if you felt harassed on that level by others? I'm sorry to hear that.

I think being a bit older, I might have different views and expectations than a person in their twenties.. I know I felt differently when I was 25.

As far as feeling vain? Well.. I feel good and hell even sexy sometimes but I wouldn't call it vain..

But that's my feeling about it.

Ok on that note you guys can have your thread back... We are just different and have different ideas, that's not a bad thing... Just different.

Different opinions should be valued in the analysis of life experiences! With age (don't kill me) comes a wisdom of past experiences and with youth comes dreams