Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared

Hi.

I am new to this site. My weight is 375lbs and I am 6 ft. tall, male, 37 years.

I have been approved for Lapband by my insurance and am scheduled for Aug 22.

My surgeon will be Dr. Christine Ren at NYU hospital.

First of all:

1. I am scared SH*Tless.

I have never been admitted to any hospital and am scared of anesthesia (sp?). Also I am embarrassed of my weight... will they be able to move me from the gurney to the bed? Also, can I go to the bathroom, or do I use a bedpan (again -- I am embarrassed).

2. PAIN

I am a baby with pain... I have a low tolerance for pain. How bad is the pain?

3. Recovery

Can I climb stairs on arrival from hospital? (I have 7 stairs between my bedroom and the foyer).

4. Gas

Any problems with burping? Acidity?

5. Diet

What is did others eat during the liquid-diet phase? I don't like sweet too much, so I guess I am stuck with broths, etc. Any other suggestions/guidelines?

Raj- (tell me if you want to be called something different, k?)

You're asking all the right questions. I'm not an expert- I'm only three months out but I'll share what I know from my experience and what I've read and heard from other Bandsters.

I used to have a phobia about anesthesia and surgery. It turned out to be a lot easier and safer than I expected. Ask the anesthesiologist for the extra something they put in there to prevent nausea. He or she will probably say they were already planning on it but even so, it's good to ask.

Tell the staff if it's your first ever surgery and they'll probably be extra patient and explain stuff.

Yes, they can move you after the surgery. There are people who have WLS who weigh 500 pounds so you're not going to scare them.

Most people I know are able to and encouraged/expected to be able to walk to the bathroom fairly soon after surgery. It's part of the healing process- the more you walk, the better you'll feel and the less chance of blood clots forming in your legs. My incisions felt tender (around a 2 on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being bad pain) and the nurse helped me out of bed the first few times I needed to go.

About the pain, it's an individual thing. Most people I know said it was low to none. A certain percentage have a hard time with it for a few days. If that happened to me, I'd ask for more pain meds.

By the time you go home, I can't imagine that 7 stairs would be a problem. You probably won't want to bound up them the first few times but I bet they won't be a problem.

Gas- some people have gas pain in their shoulder from the pressure of the leftover gas used during laproscopic surgery to puff the abdomen up so they can see around in there. I hear a hot Water bottle helps that. I didn't experience that. Regular stomach gas- my first couple of days home, I felt a little bloated/gassy and Gas-X helped. Since then, no gas problems, other than a burp once in a while if I ate something quickly. Never had a feeling of acidity.

As for what's not sweet to have during the liquid phase, I had lots of Soups. My favorite was to take boiling chicken broth, drop a raw egg in and stir really fast till it was in little shreds, and add a few chives for extra flavor. In a chinese restaurant, that's called "Egg Drop Soup." At first the shreds of egg seemed too chunky to me so when it cooled off, I blended it in a blender for a second or two. Sounds gross maybe, but it was delicious! Also, if you go to a chinese or thai restaurant and get "Sweet and Sour Soup" and then strain out the mushrooms and hard bits and puree the rest (tofu, etc.) it's delicious!

You can have cream Soups too- Tomato, chicken, potato-leek, etc.

If you look at some of the other Lap Band sites, (i.e. BandsterRecipes at Yahoo.com groups) you'll find lots of recipes for different stages.

Phew! I hope that this board lets me post all this- this is the longest message I've ever written here : )

Relax, take care, and ask more questions as they come to you.

Warm hugs,

Nette

Nette has given you terrific advice, and allayed some of my own concerns in the process. Thanks, Nette!

I'd also like to add that of all the band doctors people talk about, Dr. Ren is among the most experienced and most respected. I've never heard a negative word about her or her team, so you are in VERY good hands.

If you're not used to getting nursing care I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised. They're used to dealing with fear and will treat you extremely well. I'd suggest expressing your fear rather than holding it in, because then they'll know how to set your mind at ease.

And, of course, it will all be over before you know it! General anesthesia is not like sleeping, exactly--there is no consciousness of the passage of time. You will wake up in a flash after going under and then you'll be BANDED!!

Good luck, and please keep posting! Talking about your fears is a great way to get through them.

Raj

You sound a lot like me just prior to surgery. I never had a general anesthetic until my lapband surgery. Everything Nette said sums it up. Just take things as they come and remember that to the Doctors and Nurses this is just another day at work. They've seen it all and probably more than anything we could ever imagine. When I went into pre-op they immediately gave me a shot to calm me down. I guess my heart rate was a little accelerated. Everything will go fine.

Raj,

I'm a scardey cat, too..........I started crying as soon as I got in the pre op bed. I have the same advice everyone else said....just let them know you're scared and ask the doc for a "happy pill" when you get there. Alexandra is right about the anesthesia....you blink your eyes and you're in recovery. I was extremely nauseated when I woke up and for the rest of the night dry heaved....that was pretty painful...they finally realized it was the morphine they gave me, took me off of it, and I was fine.

As for the liquid eating stage.......I loved Tomato Soup. yum, yum!! Maybe it was part of it's soothing nature that took me back to childhood, but it sure did taste good with a little cheese melted on top. I also had cream of chicken (spit out the chicken chunks), blended chili (yummy), and cream of asparagus. I also made boxed mashed potatoes that were extra runny (extra milk) about 1 week after surgery....they were a different, welcome taste after all that Soup.< /p>

From one worry wart to another......you'll be amazed at how simple it is. I was fine after I woke up......it was just the pre op stuff that scared me sh*tless, too!!:)

Raj

Everyone has given you great advice! I am 5 days post op right now, and while I had some initial pain, it was certainly not unbearable. I took the pain meds the first three days, and have gone pretty easy yesterday and today, with maybe one Aleve in the evening. I am getting over bronchitis and the coughing hurts, and I believe I'd have had less pain that I even had if it weren't for the coughing. The hardest part is getting in and out of bed, and getting comfortable in bed. What I have been doing is hugging a pillow to my chest and stomach, and lying on my side, leaning against the pillow. That is the most comfortable position during those first few nights when your abdomen is still uncomfortable.

As youv'e never experienced anesthetic, let me tell you about coming out of it! I am fine in surgery, I've had 4, and I am always calm before them. Being put under the anaesthetic is easy, you are there one moment, and 'gone' the next! It's kind of cool really! However, when you first start to wake up friom it, there is a bit of a panicky time when you can hear people calling to you from what seems like a long tunnel, they are telling you to wake up, etc,. During those initial conscious moments it can be a little frightening, because you are at first unaware of where you are, what has happened and what is going on. It is hard to breathe, and hard to swallow at first, and you are usually aware of an oxygen mask over your mouth and nose and it might feel a little like it is the mask that is suffocating you, but it's not. You just need to talk to yourself during those moments, telling yourself to just calm down, that everything is fine, start breathing deeply and steadily, and you will find the panic eases immediately. It's a normal thing, it happens to me every time, and I just wanted to let you know about that so you wouldn't panic too much during those moments.

I might take a look at the recipes that were mentioned, Jello, yoghurt, watery cream of chicken Soup is getting a bit old already! But hey, it's worth it!

232/226/140

Raj,

Let me speak from a "loved ones" view.

Of course you are afraid of the pain, we are always afraid of the unknown. I have seen my husband in so many painful situations b/c of his weight.:D My heart has actually ached for him. There may be some pain, but it shouldn't be bad and will be worth it.

Wayne walked up 30 steps the day after surgery and was fine.

Someone bought him a 64oz. sippy-mug, he fills it with Water everyday and drinks the whole thing, that way he knows he is getting the Water he needs. He is so encouraged (I almost said excited, but that's me, not him) by the 20 lbs he has already lost that he doesn't gripe about the food. Lots of Soup, tea, liquid yogurt, juice and broth.

You will burp but it won't be a problem,,,,,it'll be welcome!:)

About the bedpan???? He didn't have to use one, got right up when it was time, was walking 4 hours post-op. And he is 59 years old!

Good Luck Raj, let us know your success story!

I have been banded for 2 1/2 weeks. I was fearful before surgery - more when thinking about my kids if anything were to happen to me. But everyone at the hospital was encouraging, calming and kind. The ativan calmed me enough before the full anaesthesia. I was operated on at 8 a.m. and got up for my first few steps at 4 p.m. I had no nausea at all. As for the pain, I only took the pain medication that first night. I had a pillow for the car ride home - to hold against the incisions. The first 4 days were difficult for rolling over and getting up. Just move slowly. I have a body pillow and highly recommend it to everyone. I could almost sleep on my right side with it. I made sure to get up and walk around every hour for the first few days - the more you move, the faster the gas goes.

One week to the day, I went camping with my family. And while I couldn't help set up or take down:) I went in the lake and totally enjoyed being out in a beautiful place.

Originally posted by aussieokey

Raj

It is hard to breathe, and hard to swallow at first, and you are usually aware of an oxygen mask over your mouth and nose and it might feel a little like it is the mask that is suffocating you, but it's not. You just need to talk to yourself during those moments, telling yourself to just calm down, that everything is fine, start breathing deeply and steadily, and you will find the panic eases immediately. It's a normal thing, it happens to me every time, and I just wanted to let you know about that so you wouldn't panic too much during those moments.

232/226/140

This is the part that scares me. How can you calm your self down? Oh ans how was Monterrey? Email me aussieokey will ya i have a few questions.

Nicole

Hi rajgrover,

I had my lap-band procedure almost 4 weeks ago. I used Dr. Ren as well - great choice. She was really quick with my procedure and I really had a great experience with her.

I was a little scared myself. once I was on the operating table the anesthesiologist explained what he was doing and I was out in minutes. Dr. Ren said hello and I was out a few seconds later.

They have so many people in the operating room I can assure you they will not have a problem moving you to your bed. You won't know what's going on either way and you'll wake up in the recovery room.

Once you're in your room a nurse will assist you and walk you to the bathroom (she will not come inside with you.) I don't know anybody else that had the procedure that had a bed pan or catheter. I got a little dizzy the first time I went to the john but after the first time it was much easier.

They really want to make sure you urinate as soon as possible since they want to make sure you got the anesthesia out of your body and not sitting in your bladder.

I felt absolutely nothing until after my surgery. I did have some pain but the meds I was given really took the edge off things and the pain went away pretty quickly. Make sure you walk around as much as possible after your surgery.

I have 5 stairs leading to my house and I didn't have any problems. I asked Dr. Ren and she said that wasn't a problem. I'd ask her if I were you since she makes her decisions case by case.

While Dr. Ren was operating on me she noticed that I had a Hiatal Hernia. She "fixed" it while she was in there and believe it or not I am totally cured of my acid reflux I'd been suffering for some time!

I did have gas pains for a few days in my shoulders and other areas. These symptoms are very common and I've heard the more you move around the faster the gas dissipates.

I drank bottled fat and sugar free flavored yogurts, "naked" (that's a brand name) fruit juices, slim fasts, and low calorie broths.

Good luck with your surgery! You'll do fine, quit worrying and start planning a new you ;-)

Thanks for all your responses. I feel much better after reading all the different comments.

I have already completed my Stress Test and Esophagram.

Another few Questions:

Is two weeks off enough time to take from work after surgery?

Any problems sitting on a chair and working on the computer 2-3 days after surgery?

When did most of you start driving? Any issues with stick-shift gear (the clutch)?

Thanx, again!

-Raj.

Raj

I was driving on the third day post op, but I do have an automatic.

I went back to work on the fourth day post op, but just kind of took it easy - no lifting, nothing that required anything other than sitting at my computer! Which answers your other question, it was very comfortable sitting at my computer when I went back to work!

The only discomfort really was nothing to do with work or driving, but getting comfortable in bed! Lying down and rolling over were quite rough for a few nights, but it's been fine for some time now and I am only 12 days post op.

You will be surprised at how quickly you recover from your surgery, I promise you!

Guest Jeanne Ruff

HI, I had my band on July 29. You have to understand all your fears are the same as any big person. We have been living with the quilt for so long that we are not normal. You made the right choice, by geting this done you will find you can like yourself again.

A: Don't worry about the gurney, They usally have you move yourself. In Preop all they do is make sure your calm and put an IV in you. You get weighed and then just relax, If you feel to nervious ask for something to calm you down they will give you some good stuff. Remember thay don't know how you feel unless you tell them I"M SCARRED...

B: The pain is little, it feels like you did a few sit ups and your sore, but again they will give you pain medicen every 6 hours, and something for upset stomach. Put Ice on the little holes that helped me.You won't even be hungry.You can get up out of bed as soon as you get to your room. You will have an IV in you but thats all. They want you to walk ASAP. The more times you get up and walk the easier it gets.

C: Burping.... well I have some burps came from I don't know where.. but, take some Malox and the burps will slow down.

D: the diet is a must drink slow, till the swelling goes down. Remember rest for three days by the forth day I was doing much better. The liquids are great, popcicles, Soup, coffee, tea, juice,stay with this diet don't go off of it, you won't be hungry for anything else... NO SUGAR...good luck and don't worry its the best desicion I ever made in my life .......JRuff

Hi Raj,

I was banded April 28 (5'7", 299# on surgery day, 36 years old) so I am not that far out but it is also fresh in my head, so I will try to answer your questions from my own experience.

I was worried about the bed. It was not too bad, they took me to the OR on the rolling bed and I was awake so I helped shimmy myself onto the main table. I was still "out" when they put me back on the rolling bed so I guess it went ok, I did not have any lumps on my head (LOL) so they must not have dropped me. ;-)

I did not eat much of anything solid for the last two days before surgery so I didn't have to worry about having a bowel movement around/after surgery (I recommend that - it makes life much easier). You at least will be lucky in that if you have to pee you can get the little "bottle with the handle" and don't have to do it on that darned bowl... Men have it so much easier! The nurse kept trying to make me use the bowl but I finally got up and snuck to the bathroom when she wasn't looking because I just cannot pee lying down - I just CAN'T!!! hehehehe. (hows that for embarassing?)

Pain: I went home with nothing but tylenols (I am in belgium where they are not as big into pain relief) and I was a bit miserable but to tell you the truth I slept so much that first week that it didn't really matter. If you consider yourself a bit of wimp painwise be sure to request a STRONG pain med for youself before you leave the hospital. I would have LOVED to have a few vicodin that first week.

Do NOT plan on doing ANYTHING the first week post-op, just let yourself heal, you will be happier that way. I think I would have been ok to go back to work at 2 weeks out. I was able to take a third week so I did - just because I could. The surgery affects everybody differently so it is good to keep your options open as to time off.

The stairs will probably not be a big deal, just be prepared to hold your tummy as you walk up them (to prevent jiggling) and you should be fine. Just make sure you have somebody to help steady you just in case you feel a bit wobbly.

I did not have gas so much at first, but I still have a lingering pain in my shoulder that only seem to bother me when I AM gassy or have eaten a bit too much. I had that when I had my gallbladder a few years ago too, I guess my body just holds on to those surgery gases longer than most. It is not excruciating or anything, just sort of "twingy".

As to the liquid phase, I bought myself the local equivelant of Optifast or Slimfast and some broths / instant Soups. For the first two weeks I was not the LEAST bit hungry so it was pretty easy to stay with the full on liquids, but I did find that it worked best for me if I was having a shake every four hours or so while I was awake. I would avoid slimfast type shakes though because they have way too many carbs.

I am always surprised that more doctors do not start their patients out on something like Medifast http://www.medifast.net or Optifast http://www.optifast.com (both offer Soups and non sweet stuff) for the first few weeks. Those liquid diet products have much more balanced nutrition than those carnation instant breakfasts and stuff like that that I have seen people say their doctor recommended. You might discuss these options with your doctor or nutritionist.

Be sure that you get some Vitamins for yourself. I use children's chewable vitamins as they are something you can start right away without them getting stuck (just chew well).

Things to take to the hospital with you:

* Chapstick and lotion!!! that oxygen mask dries you out like you would not believe.

* Shoes that you can slip on and off (no shoelaces to tie, no bending over, no having to ask for help to put them on - trust me on this!) If you have these you will not need to worry about slippers or anything.

* Wear loose non-binding clothes to the hospital and wear them home again (saves packing all kinds of clothes) It was cool so I simply wore my sweats since they are the comfiest clothes I own - it does not matter what you look like, comfort is king!!! I brought my PJs (a large T-shirt sort of thing) and I would recommend that or a second set of sweats. If you are going to walk the halls you will NOT want to be doing that in the hospital gown. Just be sure that whatever you bring has big loose sleeves so that you can get the IV bag through it (to put them on or to change clothes) - short sleeves are easier to deal with.

* Something to read or word puzzles or anything like that that appeals to you, hospitals are boring - especially if you get an annoying roommate! I wished I had brought my CD player & music but didn't think of it.

* if you obsess about time bring a travel alarm to put on the night stand. My nurse would not let me wear my watch, I have no idea why but it made me nuts!

Well, this has turned into quite the novel, I hope it helps! ;-)

Thanks Raj for addressing this for us that haven't gone through the procedure yet. Everything that you asked hit all the questions I had right on the head. Best of luck on your journer!!