Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision from sleeve to bypass -- stricture and dialation

Hi, I just came across this thread. I too may be facing revision sleeve to bypass because of GERD and esophageal spasms. I've lost 120 pounds with the sleeve and still have 20 to go but these spasm are so terrible. I've never had so much pain in my life. Not even having my daughter. I'm so scared to go to bypass. I was wondering how you have been doing?? I hope things are going well for you. If you wouldn't mind can you tell me how you experience is going and how it differs from the sleeve? Thank you so much and wishing you the best.

Hi Lisa. I'm sorry you're facing this. Especially after practically meeting your goal. I'm happy to tell you a few of the things that are different from when I had the sleeve to now that I have to bypass. I wasn't very successful on the sleeve, it wasn't really giving me the restrictions that I needed. I never got sick from anything, I never was dehydrated, I had no problem getting in the Protein, etc.

The bypass on the other hand, was a lot more hard-core than I could possibly imagine. I told my doctor that I literally felt like even though I knew everything about the bypass I really didn't "know" everything about the bypass. Does that make sense?

Now, keep in mind, some of what has occurred for me with the bypass is what most people had occur with the sleeve. With the bypass, i have a lot of trouble eating anything. The feeling of no hunger absolutely is nothing like what the sleeve was supposed to feel like. I literally never feel hunger. Which is something I never thought I would say. So never feeling real hunger, means eating or forcing yourself to get something down when you're not hungry isn't the best feeling in the world. Also, I had a lot of swelling so I barely could get anything down without throwing it back up. I can overflow my stomach very quickly. I wasn't getting enough Water down to the point where my doctor sent me in to have IV fluids to rehydrate me. Once he did that, everything started to fall into place. I'm now able to get more food down, not a ton which is fine but I'm getting some down and it's not coming up. I'm able to drink more Water. However, the speed in which I'm able to get things down is very frustrating. Everything gets stuck pretty quickly, no matter how much I chew it. But with patience and a learning curve, I'm really starting to adjust all of this. Like I said, a lot of these problems happened for people who had the sleeve, I never had them.

Sugar really affects me now. It didn't get that bad before. But now, 4 tablespoons of frozen yogurt and my heart starts to race I start to sweat it's not the best feeling in the world. But again, I shouldn't be eating all that sugary stuff. They told me though in time, as long as I coat my stomach with some Protein, I'll be able to have that.

But, bottom line, even with these new situations, I have finally been losing weight. And I'm so happy about that. Finally after a year the actual surgeries are helping.

I'm happy to tell you more. But I don't want to overwhelm you with too much right now. But ultimately, in my opinion, if this is going to help the pain you're having, this is a piece a cake for you.

Hi Lisa. I'm sorry you're facing this. Especially after practically meeting your goal. I'm happy to tell you a few of the things that are different from when I had the sleeve to now that I have to bypass. I wasn't very successful on the sleeve, it wasn't really giving me the restrictions that I needed. I never got sick from anything, I never was dehydrated, I had no problem getting in the Protein, etc.

The bypass on the other hand, was a lot more hard-core than I could possibly imagine. I told my doctor that I literally felt like even though I knew everything about the bypass I really didn't "know" everything about the bypass. Does that make sense?

Now, keep in mind, some of what has occurred for me with the bypass is what most people had occur with the sleeve. With the bypass, i have a lot of trouble eating anything. The feeling of no hunger absolutely is nothing like what the sleeve was supposed to feel like. I literally never feel hunger. Which is something I never thought I would say. So never feeling real hunger, means eating or forcing yourself to get something down when you're not hungry isn't the best feeling in the world. Also, I had a lot of swelling so I barely could get anything down without throwing it back up. I can overflow my stomach very quickly. I wasn't getting enough Water down to the point where my doctor sent me in to have IV fluids to rehydrate me. Once he did that, everything started to fall into place. I'm now able to get more food down, not a ton which is fine but I'm getting some down and it's not coming up. I'm able to drink more Water. However, the speed in which I'm able to get things down is very frustrating. Everything gets stuck pretty quickly, no matter how much I chew it. But with patience and a learning curve, I'm really starting to adjust all of this. Like I said, a lot of these problems happened for people who had the sleeve, I never had them.

Sugar really affects me now. It didn't get that bad before. But now, 4 tablespoons of frozen yogurt and my heart starts to race I start to sweat it's not the best feeling in the world. But again, I shouldn't be eating all that sugary stuff. They told me though in time, as long as I coat my stomach with some Protein, I'll be able to have that.

But, bottom line, even with these new situations, I have finally been losing weight. And I'm so happy about that. Finally after a year the actual surgeries are helping.

I'm happy to tell you more. But I don't want to overwhelm you with too much right now. But ultimately, in my opinion, if this is going to help the pain you're having, this is a piece a cake for you.

Thank you so much for responding to me. I'm so glad to hear you are doing better.

I still haven't made up my mind yet but I think I'm going to just see how I do in the coming months before I make a decision. As of right now, I'm not losing any more weight. I'm disappointed about that but I know it will take work. The test that I've had like the upper GI and EGD showed that my sleeve looks ok. No strictures or anything of that sort. I do have gastritis but seems it is getting a little better. I'm really hoping that I can do this on my own. I did have to pay for my sleeve and I'm not sure the insurance would cover the RNY anyway. There is no way I can come up with the money to pay for it. :/ I'm on Levsin to combat the spasms and so far it has worked but still can't lay on either side at night to sleep. A spasms will happen for sure! Ugh.. I hate that most of all. Not being able to sleep on my side! lol

Please keep me posted on your progress I would love to follow you and hear how you are progressing!!

Congratulations on your weight loss. I will be praying for your full recovery and I pray that you have no other problems getting food down.

God Bless!

I, too, will be having the sleeve to bypass surgery. Mine will be done on the 18th of this month (6 days). I have gastric reflux (bile reflux), a hiatal hernia, and have been vomiting several times a day, sometimes with blood. I am curious about the surgery itself. Was there a lot of pain? How quick was your recovery? Are you losing more weight? Did they make your pouch smaller? I had my sleeve done 5 years ago. I weigh 135 lbs. I am not looking to lose anymore weight. Any info would be helpful!! I am a bit worried about the surgery.