Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie looking for Mexico doctor

Hi everyone. I am a newbie researching the lap band. I have decided to have it done in Mexico because I am self pay. I have narrowed it down to Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana, Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey and Dr. Rodriguez in Monterrey. I would appreciate any info on any of these docs. Experiences, good or bad. I am currently trying to educate my husband so that he doesn't think I'm trying to go get some illegal procedure down in Mexico. Hopefully he'll come around soon. I look forward to hearing from some of you guys.

edistogirl2602

They are all very experienced band surgeons. I think Rodriguez has done more band placements, but Rumbaut has a band himself and has placed thousands of bands in others. They both practice in state-of-the-art teaching hospitals, similar to what you'd find in any larger city in the US.

Ortiz is also a competent surgeon. But Tijuana has no facilities like the ones Rumbaut and Rodriguez use. And Ortiz has hired a woman to recruit patients. I'll post links to those topics.

Sue

Rumbaut patient

http://lapbandtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2597

http://lapbandtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2685

I was just banded by Dr. Ortiz last Friday and had a very good experience. Dr. Ortiz is very knowledgable and very competent in his field, and can appear to exude some arrogance. He and Dr. Martinez had great bedside manner, explained and answered all the questions I had, and just over all know what they're doing. The Lucerna hotel was nice for the short time I was there. Everything was taken care of from the time I arrived to the time I left. If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

As for Sandy's post....she was simply inviting people who read this board to that board as well. That board plans to have live discussions from lapband doctors, plastic surgeons, and other experts in this field. I don't think she was recruiting patients. Sandy is very involved with Dr. Ortiz, but that initial post was a simple invite to read another board as well. Afterall, more knowledge isn't a crime is it? I read a lot of other boards and recommend you do the same. It gives you an overall view of what other people have experienced and come to your own conclusions.

Good luck in your choosing a doctor and in your weight loss journey. :)

I'm a Rumbaut girl! I haven't had one single problem. They took excellent care of me, very impressive hospital, flew home 2nd. day after surgery. He was very nice and pleasant, answered all my questions, I didn't feel like he was rushing or self important.

I've heard good things about the other 2 surgeons as well, however, the surgical facility in Tijuana is not what I would want .

You're a new member, Tina. Keep reading. This is an excellent source of factual info. and support from bandsters, not lapband drs. We're fortunate in that we're not funded by the drs. and can state the truth.

You're right Marie, I am new but have read quite a bit. I really enjoy what Sue has to say and I was just giving some info to the woman looking for input on the doctors she had narrowed it down to, and got slammed by both Sue and Donali. It was very disappointing, because I really respect both of those women and didn't expect to get those kinds of remarks.

I understand Sue isn't a fan of Dr. Ortiz and Sandy's doings, but I was simply sharing my recent experience with Dr. Ortiz. I just thought those remarks were completely uncalled for. It makes new members like myself, not want to continue to post. :)

bcreativ110--I have been "not a fan" of Dr. Ortiz since way before Sandy was on his payroll. And, by the way, he has now disclaimed her on the Yahoo boards and disappeared her from his bulletin boards. Sandy knows I am 100% opposed to her recruiting activities, but in her defense...I simply do not believe Ortiz's claims that he knew nothing about her activities and that she is no longer with him because of her unethical behavior. Bull. He knew exactly what she was doing. (And maybe she'll unlurk around here and verify that some day.)

Ortiz has complained that others have taken over bulletin boards that he has previously started and that when that happens it's harder for him to recruit patients to his business and the Tijuana patients end up at Kuri's.

He is the baby of the family and the only son. In traditional Mexican fashion (I know because I am half Mexican), that gave him a real head start on thinking that he was just more important than everyone else. Did you hear about his "wedding?" He and Mrs. were, first of all, already married. But, he needed to have a big show so that he could be the star. So he scheduled his "wedding" in Cancun, during a bariatric surgeons conference so that none of the other surgeons would have an excuse to not go. (BTW, this info came to me via other doctors, not from Tijuana, who are not in competition with him, but just think he's an ass.) And, the show included three costume changes for the happy groom. What a jerk.

As far as new people posting...post to your heart's content. On a bulletin board, others will agree with you or not. I happen to think that many obese women (especially) try so hard to please everybody that they don't say things they want to say. In case that describes you, feel free to disagree with me and say what you want. If, on the other hand, you need everyone to agree in order to feel free to post, then please accept the fact that THAT issue is yours, not mine.

It's just the way I work, but once I have confirmed that someone is lying to me and others on a regular basis or has no respect for a group of people (such as the obese) that I belong to, then I tend to avoid that person. I avoid Ortiz. There is no question that he is a competent surgeon, but I need more than that.

Sue

You know what GeezerSue? You absolutely have the right to your opinion about Dr. Ortiz and apparently have many reasons for your degrading remarks about him. My point was not about that. I was simply trying to tell this woman about my experience and think your remark was absolutely uncalled for.

I'm not asking you to agree with anything. I'm not looking for validation. I just think that this board is about supporting one another and not about exuding one's personal bitterness on another.

OK- I also had surgery with Dr. Ortiz ( a few days before tina) and we had a terriffic experience. We loved all of it and I am sorry you find this displeasing. Sometimes this culture we american's live in doesn't allow us to look at other costumes or sttitudes without expressing our distate for what is different

Before you jump-I lived in Mexico (southern Mexico in Tabasco) for a year and half during 1984-1985, I consistently visit and email and snail mail my friends and thouroughly love southern Mexican culture (and it is way more conservative than US or even TJ)

and I found him to be no more arrogant than any other professional man his age I met when I lived there or that my friends turned into (actually he is a little better than some of my female friends w/professional arrogance & they are Dras. also). He has acheived a whole lot and it is normal and common practice with all of the reasons you stated and SO WHAT!!!!.

AS IF A WEDDING had anything to do with criteria for surgery.

In regard to the wedding incident- every one always has a civil ceremony first any where from one week to one month before the "big" church ceremony. And from the ones I have attended of my friends and classmates (same education and $$$ level) it sounds pretty normal to the ones I have attended in Merida, Monterry, Verecruz, Villahermosa, Fronterra & Comocalco and Guadalajarra. I could send you photos on phots of extravagance. But most ended up spending very little in regards to american amount for a wedding (mine was 7K in 1990 and That was very little and I paid for the ugly dresses and shoes for my bridesmaid and travel)

Generally speaking I also have an adopted child with mexican birth parents and I swear that it is genetic. He has it to and he is only three and is disabled- but he carries himself with the "I AM IMPORTANT- PAY ATTENTION TO ME" attitude and it does serve him well and he gets more attention at preschool and all he does is flash that smile.

I also have received calls from Dr. M and Dr. O since we got home so I am not concerned about after care. I am planning my return trip for our first fill fo mid september

I also think Dr. Rumbault is terriffic and if the plane trip was shorter and costed less- that would have been a more realisitic option, but I can get there in one 2 hr 45 min flight if there is a problem so I chose him for his skill and easy access (DH felt this was the most important)

But both Rumbaul Diaz and Ortiz Langredere were my choices and then it came down to flight options and if in a hurry and a local doctor who would take us on in an emergency (and DR. O was the only they would accept here in STL- sao my choice and I am happy at this time). I did love speaking with Sra. Kuri, but when I finally saved up the $$$ for the second time I could not get the office to call me back they just kept sending me to the facilitator. I didn't want this- so I droped that option.

Added benefit- I also have the five smallest scares I have ever seen from this operation ant I am only 9 days post op _from looking at all your photos, web sites, etc)

So I am as satisfied with Dr. O and an avid supporter as you Miss Sue are with your doctor. So why wouldn't this negativity offend myself or others looking at this major decision.

Originally posted by bcreativ110

I was simply trying to tell this woman about my experience

And trying to defend Sandy, even though Ortiz was in the process of firing her and expressing the honest, but naive, opinion that people will encounter more more knowledge by reading more board. In truth, they will encounter more recruiting and more advertising and more sharking activities.

and think your remark was absolutely uncalled for.

Which one? Agreeing with you that he exudes arrogance?

I'm not asking you to agree with anything. I'm not looking for validation. I just think that this board is about supporting one another

But not about exchanging information? You might want to check the thread on Lopez. People get defensive about their surgeons. Others get defensive about their health being threatened by so-called medical professional who don't care. On bulletins boards, we read stuff we do want to see and stuff we don't want to see. In the past, I have overlooked many positive posts about Ortiz. I jumped on this one because you went on to defend Sandy's post as "a simple invite," which is was not.

and not about exuding one's personal bitterness on another.

My "personal bitterness" is directed to those who lie and deceive wls patients and potential patients.

Drama Again... But to get back the the origial post... I went to Dr. Rodriguez in Monterry. He was fabulous and his after care is excellent. He pays for you to go twice or you can bring someone with you and pay yourself the next time. I have not heard anything negative about him so I feel blessed. He even gives you his cell phone number that he acctually answers! I Love him he saved my life!:)