Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleevers over age 55?

I'm contemplating gastric sleeve at the age of 60. Would love to hear the experience of some of you who did this at more mature age. Did your age affect your recovery or success in achieving goal weight? Thanks!

My husband got sleeved with me. I am 47, he is 60. Now in fairness, he was always very strong for a 60 year old but his recovery has been as fast as mine. He is down 36 lbs in a month, and doesn't seem to be having any issues that indicate slower healing. HTH.

No problems for me and my progress appears to be similar to that of younger sleevers.

I'm 52... a bit younger than you but so far I've sailed through it all... Constipation aside (sorry if that's TMI), which is important as we post menopausal lasses do need to watch out for rectocoeles and other pelvic floor type failures... we are much more susceptible than younger women and women are much more susceptible than men.

I am conscious of the range of complications spoken of on these forums, and never take my good surgical recovery for granted. I am no stranger to major abdominal ops and chose a surgeon who is quite "conservative", in that he keeps patients in hospital longer than most and aggressively manages the risk of clots and leaks. That was really important to me, given my age and history.

Hope this helps a bit.

My sister was 69, Brother in law was 68 and they are doing very well and are very happy with theirs. I'm 66 and will be sleeved on October 7 in Mexico.

Thanks to those of you who have responded so far...this is helpful!

love to hear the experience of some of you who did this at more mature age.

mbaz

i started to gain weight in high school

about 5 years ago at 5'3 - i weighed 235 lbs :angry:

after yo yoing all my life - i turned to the sleeve as my "last resort"

almost a year later post WLS - 105 lbs down - goal - i am very very happy :)

DOS

12/15/11

235 lbs

5'3

8/30/13

130 lbs

goal

still 5'3 :lol:

saving the best for last.....

i was 57 years OLD DOS

now i'm 59 years YOUNG !!!!

I'll be 60 in January (please don't tell anyone ;) )

this proudgrammy of 3 - couldn't be any healthier, or happier :)

60 is the new 40, right ;)

have the surgery - go for it

good luck

kathy

I'm 63 and the process was fine!!!

I was just a little younger than that, I was a few months shy of 54 when I had my surgery and I had no problems.

I had my sleeve at the age of 55 with no complications. This is the best choice I have made and it is life changing.....I wish I could of done it when I was younger........I would do it at 60 too....... :P

I was 54.5 when I had mine, I'm 20 months out. No issues, very quick recovery as I knew what to expect with the help of this site. I too had a short lived Constipation issue, and the Hair loss everyone talks about which I consider normal. My hair is growing in great. I do aerobic walking 5 days a week. I never reached goal (short by 4 lbs), but yesterday saw the surgeon for the last time and my body fat is at 23 % within normal ranges although I am almost 20lbs heavier than the normal weight charts state. The charts consider me on the high end of overweight, almost obese, but my larger muscle mass makes up for a lot of the excess weight, but over all have a lower body fat than the charts show. I am no longer on meds, have perfect blood pressure 121/61 yesterday with a heart rate of 59. "A poster child" for the sleeve apparently. I hope I can report the same thing 24 months from now. I am able to eat more than I used to, also find myself hungrier than I used to be, but I have not changed weight in nearly a year. The best thing I've ever done for myself.

I'm 63, soon to be 64 on October 1.

I am 63 and was sleeved in January. I have lost almost 70lbs so far. I have not had any problems. This is the best thing I have ever done for myself! Good luck to you

59 and sleeved May 15, 2013. No complications, no pain, no problems. Down 52 lbs, co morbidities resolved, and I feel fantastic!

I have noticed that at this age, I seem to be carrying weight differently. I tried on a skirt from my last major weight loss about 6 years ago. It is actually too big everywhere BUT in the waist. How annoying! It's like that weight around my tummy isn't going anywhere anytime soon. My legs/ hips continue to get smaller, my upper body is losing bulk -- but the weight around my middle is still plaguing me. I'm guessing Lipo is in my future!

56-it took me a little longer than normal to overcome the anesthesia...couple extra hours in recovery, six weeks of attention & memory issues, but after 10+ weeks I'm back to my normal forgetfulness & word retrieval issues! :)