Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Melbourne Chat Thread!!!!

great idea r/e putting the link for the heralsun. Im not quite computer literate enough to know how to do things like that.

hey nah its quite easy as im not computer literate either!!!

u just copy and paste the link...thats it

Isnt it smokey today?

Its interesting isnt it how few people are really benefitting from this surgery.

I have several really obese friends and they just are not interested in the lapband. They dont WANT to change, they see the surgery as extreme and they're attached to their deadly habits, they simply do not want to change them. They can go on diets because they know they're not really going to succeed so there's no real risk to their lifestyle but when they face something that might actually work, they're scared of it. I felt like that myself, the thought of really letting go of bad habits was quite scary. Interestingly they can also be a little nasty about how "you werent really that fat to do something like that". Like I dont qualify because I dont know what it is like to be morbidly obese. I just wanted to avoid ever getting there is all.

But the band has only enhanced my life. OK, so I've been very lucky with mine, but it has not changed my lifestyle in any substantial way other than I dont eat as much when I eat. I still eat out like I did and I still enjoy it, I can eat any food, and even those that cause me problems, I just dont miss. If I had to live my life without bread, I could do so without a problem.

What's really changed for me though is exercise, I never knew what it could be like to really love it - but it took me 6 months of hard slog to build the fitness to get to that point. I wish I could get across to people just how much difference it makes.

But really, you cant help people unless they want to hear what you have to say, and that's why I think the band may not have taken off like Prof. O'Brien hoped it would. Many people, if not "fat and happy" are very comfortable in their ways, their habits and fatness serve a purpose and it cant all just be solved by physical measures - there's way more to obesity than that in many many cases. Sometimes surgeons I think fail to understand this if they've never been obese themselves - I think Prof. O'Brien is a little naive in this attitude.

private health insurance does help of course, I've often reflected on how, yet again, I get to enjoy better health than the next person because I have more money. It should be a commonly done public procedure as well.

Now that i have decided to have lapbanding in one way i think im preaching about it at work and basically everywhere i go. I got into an indepth conversation with a colleague about lapbanding. She is about 162cm tall about 130kg. She seemed really interested. I told her what she needed to do ie referral to Dr Nottle then ring his surgery for an appointment.

I then saw her a week later and asked if she had done it... her reply.... ah no!!! im going to try cutting down calories first and eating healthy. mmmmm... ive known her for about 5 years only to see her loose a bit of weight and pile on more.

We cant get others to have the lapbanding done as its a sole choice but i believe you need to be the right kind of person and have determination which alot of people dont.

I personally cant wait to be banded..... bring it on!!!

I have friends that are obese and one of them says i took the easy way out:confused:

I now just ignore them .....but you will always get ppl thinking like that!!!

end of the day.... you made a decision, went thru with it and now you are fitter and healthier. maybe they are just jeolous.

I stand up and applaud anyone who has had it done and it the months to come i'll stand and applaud myself.

yes thats right....they are jealous thats all it is...ive gotten over them....my life has moved forward

Hi ALL, Top idea Fee! I found the article interesting. I think Jacqui makes some very valid points. I really believe that each person must have their own light bulb moment, their own epipheny so to speak.

I don't wan't to have a stroke or have a heart attack. I don't wan't to die young. I also have MS and last year I had a severe attack of it where I was having great difficulty walking. To look at me know you would never know it. I am in complete remission.I have one medical condition, I do not wan't any more.

I also don't wan't to become a nagging former fattie. There is nothing worse than a former fattie or an ex smoker. People have to come to the decision by themselves.

Susannah

Morning fee and everyone... i have to go to work and its going to be so hot. Because of my internal airconditioning system as i call it awaiting a re-modeling ( excess body weight needs to go), the heat and i dont agree at all. Bring on that lapbanding i say!!

I just got home from work wasnt to bad as im inddors with the air con on....then im back off to work again tonight at my other job

Hi girlz! I read in the Herald Sun article yesterday that each patient gets 385.00 in a rebate from the surgery fee. So maybe I will get a little back from the $3500 I paid? Hope so. Susannah

Hey Girls, I am day 5 of the liquid diet and I am doing very well with it. I think summer is the best time to do the liquid diet because you naturally want to eat less, and eat lighter foods. If I had to this in winter it would be harder, because I would be fanging for hot heavier foods. There is a silver lining in every cloud! LOL!:P Susannah