Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Melbourne Chat Thread!!!!

Hi Rightsize! congrats on the band!

I agree with Bronnie, while I am an advocate of having a band meaning we never have to "diet" again, It makes sense to make sensible food choices afte paying for the surgery and going through the pain!!! I have chocolate a few times a week. But i work my butt off at the gym and I don't give myself a guilt trip about the food I eat. The band was a lifestyle change for me, which means I am eating 10 times better than I was pre band and exercising nearly every day. BUT if you are beating your self up about your food choices then you need to find something else to do to fill that gap that food took up. Exercise, read, call a friend, wander round the shops. Leave the house, the kitchen and do something else. All of that aside, if you are only 3 1/2 weeks out, you have no fill in your band, right? So it is likely at this stage, that you WILL be able to eat anything, and a larger volume of food that you would like. This is where your self control (yeah I found that funny too - if I had self control why would I be fat?) has to come in. You have to have smaller portions. Serve your food on a small plate and in a tiny bowl. Only eat 1 cup at each meal. And when you see your surgeon for your first fill (should be soon?) be honest and say "I feel like I am eating like a horse". He may be able to help you with your food choices, or refer you back to the nutritionist if you are struggling to make the right choices. At the end of the day, if you are still able to eat a lot in one sitting, the trick is to make sure you are eating the best food you can. Good luck! In time, and with fills, this will become less of a problem. And while its different for all of us, I've been banded since november and have had 6 fills, and I only just feel like I am at the right restriction to be eating the amount of food that is intended with the band.

Hehe, its like my obestrician. He's treated my mum, both my sisters and I for various pregnancy and gynaecological reasons. We thought we should ask for a family discount but we also thought we might ask him if he sees any family resemblence, hahahaha!

Oh, seen one Nash, seen em all!

Hi Everybody, Quick question. Can you eat sultanas with the band? I like to get the little boxes and put some in my yoghurt. Not sure if they would swell once inside the little tum tum though.:) :)

Thinking about my mini goal today I thought I will Celebrate big time once I hit the 99kg mark. It will be ace to be under 100 kgs. Haven't been there since I can't remember.

Susannah

I have no probs with sultanas Susannah. I put an extra dozen or so in my fruit museli (about half a cup) every morning. Jsut chew em really well and you'll be right.

Getting under a 100 was AWESOME. You'll feel like (and look like!) a million bucks when you get there! What are you going to do to Celebrate Susannah? Maybe some hot new clothes? Or a weekend away? Something fun that rewards you!:clap2:

Hi All... Hope none of you were court up in the Melbourne Tunnel tragedy today...

Anyway i went for my 2 week post-op visit and im the proud owner of a 6ml band, now with a 2ml fill. I will have another fill of 1ml on 4th May. The fill didnt hurt but i did feel nauseated immediately after. He made me drink a glass of Water and it went down fine.

He was very pleased with 5kg weight loss in 2 weeks....

Hi All, Meredith your latest pic is fantastic.:clap2: It is hard work but we will all get there.

I think I will be happy when I get to goal, but my happiness will be tempered because I have been through years of trauma and abuse at the hands of others as an obese person. I think that has left me with emotional scars and insecurities that I will have to live with always.

Some people have not given me the time of day, and many have been outrightly hostile. Many have been beautiful though and stood by my side all the while. I would take a bullet for those people.

I have got a really long memory, and those that have abused me will not get the time of day from me ever.

I don't mean to sound morose, but I feel very scarred and weary from this battle.

Better times ahead.

Susannah

Susannah... i know how you feel. I have put up with years of abuse by many people in relation to my weight. my memories date back to childhood; include constantly being reminded that my sisters were thin and i was fat. Some people would have chosen to take the path of anorexia but i found the comfort in food thus the road to being abese.

But... for us all... we have stopped going down that road and have changed direction finding a path to health and happiness.

In relation to my fill yeaterday: I actually feel restriction. I guess a 2ml fill in a 6ml band is rather significant. Also... i can feel the pouch draining... its all so weird but all so great.

Another 1kg down today. Total of 6kg in 15 days.

Must admit im working my butt off in the excersise area. 45-1hr walk daily and back to playing tennis 3 times per week.

Hi guys! I think I was in denial about how overweight I was for the 6 months or so before I was banded. My mother gently (there was no malice in her suggestion) suggested that I might consider the band after seeing my Dad's success with it. I am SO glad now that she did suggest it, and loaned me the money to pay the gap to my surgeon (yay for parents!).

I was one of those women who fell in love and got comfortable and I put on about 15 kilos in a short space of time. I mean I have alway struggled with my weight, up and down, (mostly up though!) and got down to about 63 kilos about 7 years ago (unhealthily by hardly eating and exercising TOO much). But as soon as I stopped exercising as much, it all crept back on. Then I injured my knees badly (I have patellofemoral syndrome) and was totally unable to exercise (even walking hurt) so I gave up all together. I guess when you put 50 kilos on over 7 years, you barely notice each kilo pile back on.

I look at the photo of me at my biggest now and wonder how could I NOT see how big I was? I mean I could see, but I had family and friends who loved me the way I was, and even a bf who proposed to me when I weighed that much. I guess I am lucky to have been surrounded by people who valued me for me. Thats not to say that I haven't been the target of strangers horrible comments and looks. I used to feel incredibly self conscious eating in public, mostly because I could eat a phenomenal amount of food, it really was quite diguesting! And shopping for clothes and underwear was a total nightmare :cry

I guess we have all had our battles with our weight, and thats why we are all here. But, as Susannah put it - it IS hard work, but we WILL all get there. You guys all inspire me every single day :clap2:

Hi all

Great to read everyone again :) I havn't been able to log on for a while with a few ups and downs at home and being really busy at work and looks like i have missed heaps.

Bronnie.. well done :clap2: U r doing wonderfully.. already 6 kgs down! wow u must be so happy.And he gave you a fill already..that will push those kilos off no doubt especially with your hard exercising.Keep up the good work

Susannah.. u r doing amazing as well. 11 kgs so soon. U will be under the hundred in no time.that is great :)

And Meredith you are looking just beautiful. Did you get to meet up with any of the girls when you came down to melbourne?

Hi to Jacqui and everyone else. Hope all is well

catch you soon, take care

Hi Loretta... thought you'd fallen down the loo!!!!

Some advise from those banded required:

since the fill 2 days ago i sometimes feel something is stuck in my throat, its an off and on feeling. Ive just woken up and the feeling is there. Im still on liquids but starting mushie today. Liquids have been going down fine but yesterday i over did it.... i drank the whole 200mls of Optifast and i think i drank it to fast, i did try to pace myself... the pain ,OUCH!!! Guess this is a huge learning experience and a matter of trial and error. Has anyone else had similar experiences??