Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 8 months post op and have been at a stall for 2 months. So, i finally made an appointment to see the bariatric surgeon to find out what is going on. I saw him today. It was very interesting. Thought I'd share.

He basically told me that the sleeve is working just fine, but my diet needs work. He told me that most of what I was taught about the diet is wrong.

His recommendations FOR ME are:

Protein first, but get all Protein from fresh sources

no Protein shakes

NO DAIRY

NO ALCOHOL

No beef Jerky

no cheese sticks

only really "good" quality cheeses in limited amounts

only a bariatric Multivitamin (no other supplements needed)

first thing in AM- a big glass of Water

daily breakfast- coffee and a piece of fresh fruit

lunch- a great big salad

dinner anything fresh and lots of fish.

My exercise regimen is ok

Im gonna start going to weekly educational/support meetings with weekly weigh ins.

I got a copy of his new book and so far it is really good. it is available on Amazon.< /p>

"Ultimate gastric sleeve success: a practical patient guide to help maximize your weight loss results" by Dr. Duc C. Vuong"

...feeling hopeful

good info Tink. I will keep that in mind if I hit a stall later.

Thats great Tink!.

I always thiough that protien shakes are bad for you. They are ok to get you through but by week 8 you should be getting all your protien organically. I agree 100% with that. I think I have said that in the Chat room.

The no dairy thing is new. I love cheese and my favorite place to get cheese is from trader joes. They always have new ones.

I am glad you are feeling hopeful. That is a big part of success is your attitude!

Wow, guess I've been doing it all wrong! I still do 2 shakes a day, eat cheese sticks pretty much every day, and beef Jerky occasionally. Pretty much all I eat is Protein. And there's still no way I'd get enough protein without the shakes. Hope it works out for you.

I second Butterthebean's question. The only Protein there is a little bit of fish at dinner time.

That's very interesting. I too was wondering about the amount of Protein and also, how can you eat a "big" salad? Will your sleeve tolerate that at 8 months out? Well, every doctor seems to give different advice and each of us have our own personal experience with the sleeve....so I wish you success!! A two month stall has to be a little frustrating so I applaud you for hanging in there!

Well, the big salad can have meat in it. and also he recommended lots of edemame, soy, tofu. At this point he just wants me to try to get in Protein from fresh foods. protein has always been hard for me to get enough of as it is.

This is a new perspective for me as well. ill let yall know how it goes.

My Dr said the same about dairy esp cheese which can be a gateway to little to no real dense Protein. However yes, the fruit part was a SHOCK!

My Dr/Nut both say to stay away from most fruit (except berries and a few mellons) in very small servings. Their plan is pretty much Protein, veggies, fruit, lastly carbs - for life.

Thanks for the info Tink I will keep this in mind and be picking your brain to find out what else you learns!

so, i reading Dr. Vuongs book. he recommends the following for Protein sources:

veggies- like broccoli

beans- including lentils

soy- tofu, edemame, soy milk

whole grains- like couscous, bulgur, and quinoa

Nuts

fish- preferably fresh, wild caught

and then sparingly:

chicken, turkey

meat

dairy- occasional good quality cheeses, never milk

prepackaged Protein supplements

So there are some ideas for me.

Ok Iove tofu. So I'm not going to knock it as a Protein choice... But does he know how much of that other stuff you'd have to eat to make up your protein totals? With the exception of fish, the other stuff while "good" is hard to get enough protein out of..

Does he set lower protein totals for you?