Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have anyone of filled yourself.

I dont know if a port can be punctured that easy because it is hard shelled, but the tube can be puncured if someone is not very careful, and and if the tube is especially too close the port.

I examined the port and the tube, before the operation, the assistant doc showed me how it operated when he injected saline in the port, then unfilled the port. No rocket science. It was a sample band, to educate the patients.

He had different brands to choose, then I chose the Inamed brand, but I was not properly educated about how large it was. I would choose 4cc band over 10cc, because 10 cc band was intented to be used for fatter stomacs. I dont have a fat stomac for sure, I had a BMI 38, otherwise I would feel some restriction. My other friend with VG band can not eat more than one plate at a time, and he was a lot fatter than I was. I believe the doc could use a smaller band for me, but he never uses them.

Yes Lisah they can also puncure the tube, but it was not possible for me because I can almost see where the port is, there was no need to poke around.

Well, I would imagine it's a little different doing a sample band you are holding in your hand and one implanted in you where you can't see it.

You had a choice of band sizes? My surgeon told me he'd pick the one that fit best during surgery, as there is no way to really know how big someone's stomach is from looking at them. I was also told that both can be tightened down to the same diameter, they just start bigger.

My surgeon gave me my port and tubing when he removed them from me... so I actually have it my possesion and let me tell you... it is not as "hard" as you might think it is to puncture the tubing. If you search my posts you will find a thread in which I posted pics of my tubing and port and the leak itself... you can see how easily it was punctured.

Good luck to you!

Well, I would imagine it's a little different doing a sample band you are holding in your hand and one implanted in you where you can't see it.

You had a choice of band sizes? My surgeon told me he'd pick the one that fit best during surgery, as there is no way to really know how big someone's stomach is from looking at them. I was also told that both can be tightened down to the same diameter, they just start bigger.

My doc almost exclusively uses large VG band or Swedish band, because it is easier to place around the stomac, and it causes less complications. VG bands are used quite extensively outside the USA, maybe the doctors are not quite well educated for what people VG bands for, or they are not afraid of litigation issues. Normally they are intended for fatter stomacs, but who cares. The doctors use what is easy for them outside the USA.:angry

My surgeon gave me my port and tubing when he removed them from me... so I actually have it my possesion and let me tell you... it is not as "hard" as you might think it is to puncture the tubing. If you search my posts you will find a thread in which I posted pics of my tubing and port and the leak itself... you can see how easily it was punctured.

Good luck to you!

The tube can be puctured easily, I can undersand that, but there is a connector to the port almost 15cm long, which is also hard, then the tube. I think in your case, the tube was accidently placed near the port, and someone was poking around, and he punctured your tube.

The tube can be puctured easily, I can undersand that, but there is a connector to the port almost 15cm long, which is also hard, then the tube. I think in your case, the tube was accidently placed near the port, and someone was poking around, and he punctured your tube.

No... it was the "connector" as you call it that was punctured.

No... it was the "connector" as you call it that was punctured.

Anyway in my case, the port is very well placed, just under my skin, so noway I could miss the port.

This was interesting to me; I think I probably would not make the choice to do this; I'm a physician and well skilled at injections and invasive procedure. However, I'd probably not do this because of the issue of liability and introduction of bacteria if not cleaned properly.

To me the question of whether you're skilled enough to do it probably isn't that big an issue. You're right, if your port is placed high enough and close to your skin, the chances of missing or puncturing is probably small. I would think though that if you did make a mistake, you have basically nullified any type of financial restitution or help you could have by taking things into your own hands, so to speak. Your call I know, but still a little risky. Then again, everyone's tolerance for risk varies.

I think if I were in the same situation you were in (and I could see how frustrating that could be) I would try to approach another bariatric physician to see if they would be willing to increase my fill, and hopefully move my care to a physician that is more willing to listen to my personal needs and questions. Barring that option, I believe I'd practice quite a bit on a "dummy" band before attempting it myself (that's what we do - practice).

My only other concern with your story is your "tests" to see what your band is capable of doing. I think we can all eat past what is considered appropriate for banding, if we pushed it. But pushing it has it's risks too: stretched pouches, slipped band, etc. Perhaps you can be alittle more careful with your tests...

Just my 2 cents worth!

This was interesting to me; I think I probably would not make the choice to do this; I'm a physician and well skilled at injections and invasive procedure. However, I'd probably not do this because of the issue of liability and introduction of bacteria if not cleaned properly.

To me the question of whether you're skilled enough to do it probably isn't that big an issue. You're right, if your port is placed high enough and close to your skin, the chances of missing or puncturing is probably small. I would think though that if you did make a mistake, you have basically nullified any type of financial restitution or help you could have by taking things into your own hands, so to speak. Your call I know, but still a little risky. Then again, everyone's tolerance for risk varies.

I think if I were in the same situation you were in (and I could see how frustrating that could be) I would try to approach another bariatric physician to see if they would be willing to increase my fill, and hopefully move my care to a physician that is more willing to listen to my personal needs and questions. Barring that option, I believe I'd practice quite a bit on a "dummy" band before attempting it myself (that's what we do - practice).

My only other concern with your story is your "tests" to see what your band is capable of doing. I think we can all eat past what is considered appropriate for banding, if we pushed it. But pushing it has it's risks too: stretched pouches, slipped band, etc. Perhaps you can be alittle more careful with your tests...

Just my 2 cents worth!

Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply, yes, port infection risk is a good probability, so I had to be extra careful as they instructed in the Inamed manual.

Cost issue is not major problem, as I only paid less than 2,500 dollars for the full process in Romania. The band is alone 1600 dollars (cost to the doctor) as far as I am told. Finding a good fill doctor in this case is major issue especially if you are outside the USA. Replacing a port and tube is not a costly surgery but the time it takes to heal is bothersome.

My weight loss was about 4 pounds last month, becuase some evenings I was not able to stop eating, just like this evening.

My appetite is too high in some evenings, everything I eat just goes down easily then I wonder if I have a band. I am still in adjustment phase, so I have only 4.5cc, but for a proper restriction, I might need upto 8cc, which might mean another 4 fills upto 4 months.

Best luck to you.

you know what guys I personally think that this guy has some problem with his mind, he wants to be a centre of the attention no matter what and thats why he is posting this even though he knows we all are going to tell him that its a bad idea. I dont care if I offended him and I dont understand why others have apologized because you guys didnt say anything rude.you just said something he didnt want to hear.

now for that guy: I have 10cc band and guess what I already lost 27kgs/almost 60 pounds without a fill, my band is empty.and trust me its a tool not a saviour, I make good food choices and even though I could eat a horse (trust me I really could Im wide opened as you said) but I stick with the 200ml (cup) portions...you cant expect that you are going to lose if you overeat.and do you excercise? I guess not, that might be another problem.

you know what guys I personally think that this guy has some problem with his mind, he wants to be a centre of the attention no matter what and thats why he is posting this even though he knows we all are going to tell him that its a bad idea. I dont care if I offended him and I dont understand why others have apologized because you guys didnt say anything rude.you just said something he didnt want to hear.

now for that guy: I have 10cc band and guess what I already lost 27kgs/almost 60 pounds without a fill, my band is empty.and trust me its a tool not a saviour, I make good food choices and even though I could eat a horse (trust me I really could Im wide opened as you said) but I stick with the 200ml (cup) portions...you cant expect that you are going to lose if you overeat.and do you excercise? I guess not, that might be another problem.

Eficka, you are total failure as far as the band is concerned and a big liar.

I read your previous posts regarding your eating disorders, and psychological problems, and you are trying to offend me without any intelligent argument.

Yes my command of English is also not good, but never tried to offend anyone.

You say you lost 27kgs, but if you do a simple math, you lost 19 kg , see below, day of operation 117kg. I lost more in 2,5 months than you did 9 months. You have psychological problems, and stick around your female friends, you can not understand a scientific discussion.

Your signature says:

BANDED 04/25/06

started 125kg/day of op 117kg/current 98kg

I am not sure what size band you have, a swedish band perhaps, it is different. If you fill 1cc in your VG band, when you unfill you almost get nothing, almost all of it is soaked in the port and in the band.

You just need serious professional help, honestly.

Best luck to you,

Dorin.

You have psychological problems, and stick around your female friends, you can not understand a scientific discussion.

What, exactly, is THAT supposed to mean?

What, exactly, is THAT supposed to mean?

She was calling me "the guy, the guy", and she was using an offending language, she would not do this to a female, would she? I do not think so.. I hope you did not sense a sexist argument. I did not mean to.

Her arguments are not based on factual information, nothing material, and she also reveals her psyhologic problems, and bad eating habits in earlier posts, just search under her name.

She also doesnt know why the band is called adjustable, and I bet she does not know what brand she has. In Romania, or Chech republic, there is not much after care, or support. Most patients do not even adjust their bands, because they are not properly educated about their bands and about why it is called adjustable.

regards