Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help !

My doctor requires 4 weeks of liquids following surgery, I'm looking for any and all suggestions on the best way to get through this, especially in regards to the best tasting Protein Drinks and and how to keep from getting bored with it. Thanks !!

It's really hard to say, it's such an individual thing. I also had four weeks of liquids after surgery. I found that my tastes did change after surgery -- I don't like sweet stuff nearly as much. So I really recommend getting as many samples as you can of Protein drinks prior to surgery and don't commit to buying a big tub of any protein until you've tasted it after surgery.

The stuff I drank the most of (non-protein drinks) were: Ocean Spray Cranberry Light (it's more tart than sweet), hot Decaf tea, low sodium V-8, kefir, and crystal light lemonade.

The protein drinks I had the most: Unjury chocolate splendor, unjury chicken Soup, Syntrax matrix mint cookie, Syntrax Nectar fuzzy navel, Roadside Lemonade, lemon tea, and Twisted cherry.< /p>

I still drink most of the same protein drinks except for the chicken soup -- now that I can have real food I don't crave that savory taste in my protein drinks as much anymore. Also it has a ton of sodium!

It's really a matter of taste, and tastes change after surgery. As above, I suggest you try different products. Don't go out and buy 12 assorted bottles of Isopure, because one is as bad as the next. You'll find people here that love it so it's really a personal thing. I liked the EAS Advantedge RTD shakes during my pre-op liquid diet, but now I'm not so sure. There is no easy way through this. Sometimes you just have to think of it as medicine.

You might search this site or the manufacturer web site of the Protein drinks to see if they have recipes that you could use to vary up the taste and flavor. I know when I had my lap band I was on liquids for a total of 3 weeks, 1 week before and two weeks after, but it is so important to follow your doctor's orders. For me after that surgery I was not willing to take a risk of eating something before I should and jeopardizing my surgery.

Its going to be rough no matter how you slice it. Brace yourself, it won't be fun, but it is so worth it in the long run.

See if your surgeon offers Protein parties to sample. your tastes will change after surgery, so don't over buy.

My personal preference is for nectar Syntrax for the powder and Premier Protein chocolate for the premade.

By the end of the liquid phase I hated anything like that but I eventually got over the trauma...

Hello everybody... I'm having such a difficult time here... I was sleeved July 22nd, and CANNOT stomach any Protein Shakes. I am in the soft food phase, which has been going well, but am afraid Of not getting all my Protein. I get to add crackers, crisp toast and deli meats next week, totally looking forward to that. I am doing pretty good getting most of my water/milk/fluids in, just not the protein shakes. I just can't stomach them. Also, I still feel weak and feel I have to eat something every couple hours. I can barely take a shower without having to sit down after!! I am walking everyday, but it is a chore, which wasn't prior to surgery. I have to be honest and say I have had buyers remorse from day one and am in full regret. I apologize for sounding so whiney, I just feel so hopeless and was hoping someone out there would have some advice for me... I would be very grateful. Thank you <3

I made a big crockpot full of split pea Soup. It naturally has Protein. I watered it down ( my nut said so it would go thru a straw. If we could use straws that is) sometimes I added extra unflavored protein to it to boost my protein gms. Good luck and it will be over before you know it.

Hello everybody... I'm having such a difficult time here... I was sleeved July 22nd' date=' and CANNOT stomach any Protein shakes. I am in the soft food phase, which has been going well, but am afraid Of not getting all my Protein. I get to add crackers, crisp toast and deli meats next week, totally looking forward to that. I am doing pretty good getting most of my water/milk/fluids in, just not the Protein Shakes. I just can't stomach them. Also, I still feel weak and feel I have to eat something every couple hours. I can barely take a shower without having to sit down after!! I am walking everyday, but it is a chore, which wasn't prior to surgery. I have to be honest and say I have had buyers remorse from day one and am in full regret. I apologize for sounding so whiney, I just feel so hopeless and was hoping someone out there would have some advice for me... I would be very grateful. Thank you <3[/quote']

I also couldn't stomach the protein shakes post op. I finally tried the Premier Protein choc shakes the ones pre made. And when poured over ice so they get thinner I could slowly sip them without being sick. A little over 4 months out and they r still my protein choice. In the meantime I ate the yogurts slowly and peanutbutter on a spoon....

Hello everybody... I'm having such a difficult time here... I was sleeved July 22nd' date=' and CANNOT stomach any Protein shakes. I am in the soft food phase, which has been going well, but am afraid Of not getting all my Protein. I get to add crackers, crisp toast and deli meats next week, totally looking forward to that. I am doing pretty good getting most of my water/milk/fluids in, just not the Protein Shakes. I just can't stomach them. Also, I still feel weak and feel I have to eat something every couple hours. I can barely take a shower without having to sit down after!! I am walking everyday, but it is a chore, which wasn't prior to surgery. I have to be honest and say I have had buyers remorse from day one and am in full regret. I apologize for sounding so whiney, I just feel so hopeless and was hoping someone out there would have some advice for me... I would be very grateful. Thank you <3[/quote']

I posted a shrimp bisque recipe that has 20 something grams of Protein for the post-op full liquids stage in the food forum. Tomorrow I will post another couple of real food, high protein, low carb recipes and maybe those will help? I'd search on Pinterest for WLS recipes, as well as Paleo recipes. Lots to find there. There's a thread here somewhere for folks sharing their Pinterest names so we can recipe share.

These are All such great suggestions !! Thank you so much :)