Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those on the other side - am I gonna need help after?

First, I am so jealous of those of you who have already been sleeved. I'm 3 weeks from my date and I am a total wreck - excited and then ready to back out and then excited again... Here's my question: I live alone. My sister has offered to give me rides to/from the hospital, but that's it - I'll pretty much be on my own. I have a friend who has offered to come and stay with me for a week. I'm wondering if I should take him up on it. Will I want/need someone around or am I going to be so miserable that I'd rather just sleep and be left alone? Any input is most appreciated!

I am 18 days post - op.

I think it would be a great idea to have someone with you for a couple of days. They can help you make sure you are getting your fluids/protein in (not let you sleep too long, etc.) and will be a good support and distraction.

You'll do well. Jitters are normal, but don't let them stand in the way of forward progress!

Definitely have your friend come. I needed help getting up from time to time. I couldn't bend over either. For one it hurt and the physical therapist said not to. I dropped a Popsicle the first night and just kicked it onto the tile till morning;). Good luck. Your feelings are so normal. I'm 11 days post op and doing well. I just spent 3 hours at the mall doing back to school shopping with my kids. You will do great.

It's up to you -- I live alone and didn't want anyone with me. I basically wanted to be left alone. If I wanted to nap in the comfy chair in the living room in the middle of the day, I didn't need someone clomping through the living room to wake me up. I did have my housekeeper come for an extra visit to do things that required more effort/lifting. Other than that I didn't need any help. I thought it was good for my recovery process to be getting my own drinks from the fridge, taking care of minor housekeeping, etc., rather than just sitting around while someone else did things for me. But basically I'd rather just be on my own than feel like I am entertaining company or watching out for a guest.

The first few days I was really groggy from anesthesia, and I found myself getting confused on my meds and one night I took a dose too soon by accident because I forgot what time I took it last, and after that my hubby took over. If you are going to be alone, make yourself a chart of what meds you need to take at what time so that you don't get confused, especially in the middle of the night when you are sleepy. My hubby took a week off work to be there with me, and that was enough time. By the time he went back to work I was fine to be on my own. I had some really significant post-op pain the first week, and I am not sure if I could have done it by myself, so if your friend is offering, I say let him come. If nothing else, you will have someone around to watch movies with even if you don't need any help.

I live alone too. I didn't have any problems. Mom wanted to stay with me but she had a trip to go on. I was afraid I'd be waited on and not get the excersise i should get getting my own drinks. I dropped my pop cycle too and my dog ate it! It's good to laugh at situations that come up. My dog got quite a few treats the first couple weeks because I couldn't bend over! You might get cold feet... But don't give up your dream. Maybe your friend could stop be each day to check on you. And then there's always the phone.

If you are the kind of person who likes company, I would not hesitate to have someone come and stay for a couple of days as long as they understand that you may be "in and out." Snoozing, resting and maybe not always wanting to be social. My hubby cared for me, getting things for me, helping me shower, and getting my fluids and shakes. I really enjoyed having someone there. Good luck and best wishes to you. I am sure things will go well for you! :rolleyes:

Ok I don't live alone... But I LOVED being in the hospital alone! Because I don't live alone :P

I really didn't even have my kids and husband but once while I was in there because I was really busy with pain, walking and healing.

I told my husband to not take any time off of work when I came home, and I'm glad I did, as long as you stock up before with all the things you need you really should be fine...

Now I have read that some people here needed help with very basic things like getting up or even pulling pants down and wiping after going to the bathroom! I think that might be an extreme case though..

So if your independent minded I say you will be fine.

I live alone, and really had no problems after my surgery. Just really tired. My sister came from Tennessee for the surgery, and left after 3 days. It was great spending time with her. But after she left, I was fine on my own. Friends checked in on me and came for visits. Mostly I just slept in between visits.

Week 2 I tried to get out every day, even if was just to wander around the drugstore. Not good to not see people everyday, and I needed to move.

Hope this helps, and that your journey is as easy as mine was.

I'm 1 month post op, and even though m married with kids, my husband went back to working his 12-14 hour days when I was only 3 days post op. I'm a stay at home mom of a 14 month old and a 3.5 year old. I moved slower, but I was able to take care of everything on my own.

After the hospital I stayed at a family member's house for one day and then went home. My daughter stayed with family for one week while I was at home by myself. It was easier for me. The 2nd week she was back home and I took her to daycare everyday getting back in the groove of things. The only thing that I can remember that was a problem was trying to get down to clean the bath tub.

THANKS TO ALL! This was VERY helpful!