Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Controversial - The evaluation of before and after. Healthier by definition, but does everyone who is VSG'd really 'look' better?

I know a few people who have lost too much weight and look bad. In at 165 now and i Think I look perfect! I would rather have a little meat left so my face stays looking good. I've had one person tell me how BAD my face looked now because of my weight lose but she is full of crap because I get told all the time how great I look. I do have saggy skin but seriously how many 38 year old women really look great naked?

I know a few people who have lost too much weight and look bad. In at 165 now and i Think I look perfect! I would rather have a little meat left so my face stays looking good. I've had one person tell me how BAD my face looked now because of my weight lose but she is full of crap because I get told all the time how great I look. I do have saggy skin but seriously how many 38 year old women really look great naked?

I'm 36 and in my head, even at my weight, I look like Venus De Milo, what are you on about?! LOL (kidding :) ) I totally agree with you on the thin face thing. It's not a good look. I don't know how tall you are, but 165 would be perfect for me, too. Do you have any suggestions on how to maintain calorie intake in the first couple of months?

I'm liking the sound of 'normal' - that's all I want to be. May I ask how you achieved and maintained that? As for the 'girls' and the belly, I'll be in exactly the same position.

As for the decision, I'm a little too far down the road now. Got 4 weeks till D-Day! Arrrgh! The above isn't a deal-breaker, as such. I just felt I'd like some information from you guys who have done it already as to how I could prevent myself from looking like I just got liberated from Belsen!

I exercised a lot in the beginning to get to goal. I did kickboxing, hiking, running, the wii fit, and weight training. I have never counted calories. I have counted carbs in the past, but now I just make sure to eat my Protein first and I don't worry about the rest. I am still active with hiking, and swimming but as far as maintaining I haven't had to do anything. My 2 year surgiversery is coming up on the 16th of this month and I have been my current weight since October. My original goal weight was 150 because that is right in between a healthy bmi for my height, however after getting to 170 I liked the way I looked. I am in a smaller size now at 170 then I was 18 years ago at 150. As for compliments....I took my 18 year old daughter to a comedy club last night and was called a milf by 3 of the comedians! Haha! My daughter was embarrassed but I was loving it! ;)

solid meats were difficult and still are. in the beginning I would eat chili which was high in Protein with ground meat and Beans. I couldn't finish a small size (like a Wendy's version in the beginning) but eventually can do mediums. I did lots if lentil and black bean type Soups the first few months.

Greek yogurt was great for calories and Protein. Now I use the sugar free Greek yogurt to save calories cause I hit 1200 so easy!

and don't worry about 400 calorie days in the first few weeks. the first couple months won't make you lose too fast or get gaunt. take advantage of no hunger and low cals the first couple months. your body will use your fat stores as it is supposed to.

As I said I am tall and feel best if I get 1200 a day. I don't want to lose any faster. i dont want to do rigorous exercise (yet). i walk and take stairs instead of escalators when commuting and make little choices to be more active as part of my every day activity.

everyone has to work the sleeve in a way that's best for them. for me, I wanted to be a close to "normal" whatever that is - and not be on a diet but just eat like this for life. Everyone is different. there is a honeymoon period and a lot of people want to go all out effort for that first 6 or so months. That's just not me. I needed to make my plan fit with my life and be doable for me. you will find what works best for you.

Since I wasted a post here. And can't delete it.

I will say it sounds like you are worried about losing to much weight? That, is something I really wouldn't worry about.

Most of us aren't rushing to a restaurant to down a cream brûlée to stop the weight from pouring off :P

also highly recommend myfitnesspal. tracking is key. I allow myself anything as long as I track it. that way if I don't lose I will see what I may be doing wrong. this way I can make sure to get at least 65g Protein and keep sugar as low as possible. in first few weeks you may only get 30g -40g protein. it will take time to work up to it. I recommend premier shakes at that time. I don't do shakes anymore.

also highly recommend myfitnesspal. tracking is key. I allow myself anything as long as I track it. that way if I don't lose I will see what I may be doing wrong. this way I can make sure to get at least 65g Protein and keep sugar as low as possible. in first few weeks you may only get 30g -40g Protein. it will take time to work up to it. I recommend premier shakes at that time. I don't do shakes anymore.

Yeah, the tracking thing.. I don't think I'd have the patience for that. I know I'll probably have to in the start, but i'm kinda hoping that if I follow the rules; protein, veg, carbs and no drinking during meals, that I'll be okay and will relax into it.. Although I'm also worried if I relax too much, I'll be stuffing pizza in no time!

I'm 36 and in my head, even at my weight, I look like Venus De Milo, what are you on about?! LOL (kidding :) ) I totally agree with you on the thin face thing. It's not a good look. I don't know how tall you are, but 165 would be perfect for me, too. Do you have any suggestions on how to maintain calorie intake in the first couple of months?

I am 5'4. I have had No problem with eating to many calories in the 11 months since surgery. Now I need to Change my focus to maintaining my weight and that's hard. I know it's time to start eating a little bit more so I can stay the same instead of losing but I don't want to eat more!