Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Controversial - The evaluation of before and after. Healthier by definition, but does everyone who is VSG'd really 'look' better?

I am 5'2.5" and a healthy weight for me is tops 135. At that weight, I would be a size 0 or 2 with my build and at that size, I was always sickly looking. I have an hourglass figure and big old tatas and the last time I lost weight (WWs), I got to a size 8/10 at 175. My goal is 160 and my stretch goal is 150, which is still considered overweight. Oh the fluck well.

I am very active, I do martial arts, kickboxing, I swim, kayak, paddle board, etc. I am built like the Italian side of my family, short and muscular and that's OK with me. I want my muscles to show, but more importantly, I want them to exist and they wouldn't in the 130s.

I can't wait to see where this journey takes me as I am only 11 weeks out now. (Sixty pounds down and from a snug 20W to a loose 16R or a well fitting 14R.) The goals I set are flexible because I am 41, I have had two kids since the last time I was in the 160s and I have no idea what that will look like.

I can say, I will happily take too slender over the fattest mom in the room. I can't do that ever again.

That's a healthy attitude. Do you think you'll know when 'enough is enough' though? How will you gauge it? By clothes? Comments? Looks? It's a great achievement so far, I wish you all the best in finding your sweet spot :)

You're right on that one; one mans Water is another mans champagne. But no' date=' the 'mis-proportioned' thing is not really what I'm talking about. It's the gaunt, drawn, malnourished look. Generally looking like walking death. Then, the question - when is enough, simply, enough?[/quote']

I'm trying to figure out the "simply enough" right now.. So I don't have the answers.

But I will say if you don't take care of yourself, the sickly look will be part of your life,

We eat so little now, and some chose to eat crap still. you will still lose weight but you are not feeding your body what it needs.

And unlike before there is not much room for error.

I eat lean Proteins and veg. That does not mean everyone does though. If you have read these forums some people go right back to fast food.

That is not feeding your body, plain and simple.

Not to say I don't eat a treat here and there,

I do, but not on a daily basis.

I think most people look better after the surgery, but when I have watched You Tube videos I have noticed that many people seem drained and tired all the time, like they barely have energy to talk into the camera. Their voice even seems quieter than the "before" videos. I see it in women more than men, the men seem energetic and excited and the women seem to be lethargic and pale. That concerns me!

I think about it like my pico coral tank, it's 2 gallons of saltwater coral, because of its size, the perimeters are thrown off so easily.. It takes daily checks and tweaks to keep it running smoothly.

Our new stomachs are like that now, good nutrition and Vitamins for the rest of your life are important, as is the periodic blood tests to monitor your levels.

Naked, I actually looked better before.. Granted I was 360 pounds. But my fat was distributed from head to toe and I filled out all my skin. I was never uncomfortable with the appearance of my fat body.. Now 100 or so pounds in, I'm already REALLY saggy and wrinkly and I don't love it. I'm already saving for plastics in Mexico

My face looks better now. I still have a plump youthful face.. What will it look like in 100 more pounds? I don't know.. I'm hoping to keep some of the chub in the face though... and if I don't.. I'll have some work done to the face while I'm in Mexico as well!

Hehe, like your style! Self body-image is such a big thing, isn't it? I, too, am proportioned. I, too, don't want to lose my healthy facial coverage either. Has anyone got any answers for this one?! How do we prevent looking gaunt?!

Madame Reverie, I've enjoyed all of your posts so far and this one is great too. I know exactly what you're talking about. Right now, losing too much is the farthest thing from my mind though. I spend too much time whining that I'm not losing enough/ fast enough lol. Lord I hope I have to worry about that some day!

I have seen people after losing all of their excess weight that looked terrible, in a sickly kind of way. I have always felt that comes along with loss that is too fast and done without constant attention to Vitamins and Water. Although we all know there are people that are attracted to people that are morbidly obese I think it's safe to say most do not prefer that look on anyone, including themselves. As for me I'll strive for perfection and hope I recognize it when I see it.

I think most people look better after the surgery, but when I have watched You Tube videos I have noticed that many people seem drained and tired all the time, like they barely have energy to talk into the camera. Their voice even seems quieter than the "before" videos. I see it in women more than men, the men seem energetic and excited and the women seem to be lethargic and pale. That concerns me!

TOTALLY! People also seem to gasp for breath while they're talking for what appears the first 6 months, along with the burp-stifling! Oh, and mental confusion seems apparent, too. It is concerning. In addition to these things, what I have also observed, is that there is a bit of a change in personality,too, as the videos go on. People start out fairly balanced, contemplative, reserved, grateful for small milestones, to then changing in line with their weight, to on occasion, becoming quite arrogant and demanding. Why is this? Maybe that's another question for another forum topic :)

That's a healthy attitude. Do you think you'll know when 'enough is enough' though? How will you gauge it? By clothes? Comments? Looks? It's a great achievement so far, I wish you all the best in finding your sweet spot :)

I've never cared about other people's opinion of me and clothing size means nothing. When *I* love the way I look, when I can do all the things I want to do without feeling unhealthy, when I can shop in any store I walk into and when I don't look fat on film next to my friends who are of similar height and have what I now see as a great body size, I will be happy.

Madame Reverie, I've enjoyed all of your posts so far and this one is great too. I know exactly what you're talking about. Right now, losing too much is the farthest thing from my mind though. I spend too much time whining that I'm not losing enough/ fast enough lol. Lord I hope I have to worry about that some day!

I have seen people after losing all of their excess weight that looked terrible, in a sickly kind of way. I have always felt that comes along with loss that is too fast and done without constant attention to Vitamins and Water. Although we all know there are people that are attracted to people that are morbidly obese I think it's safe to say most do not prefer that look on anyone, including themselves. As for me I'll strive for perfection and hope I recognize it when I see it.

Thank you so much, that's truly very kind of you.

You've hit in on the head - the sickly look. With so many different opinions on what is right and what is insufficient across the board, it is easy to get very confused. I guess we can blame the lack of long-term medical research on this issue being as to why it's so difficult to get a cohesive and collective response from all those in the business of providing this surgery. Consequently, people are left trying to find their own answers and through trial and error, finding what's right for them. I'm wondering whether there will ever be a definitive stance on the issue? Or, we all make a 'best guess'. I love your statement about hoping to recognise perfection. I'm hoping to recognise when I'm losing too much because I do not want to look ill. If I do, be assured, I shall be promptly heading for my favourite restaurant for a creme brulee (or three)!

I honestly don't think I'll have that problem. I'm studying the human body in school and have researched nutrition since I got the internet. I know eating under 1200 calories is unhealthy. I strived to get to 1200 as soon as I could. It took a good 6-7 months but I made it. Now I eat 1300-1500 calories a day and work out 5-6 days a week. I'm losing at a healthy rate usually 10 pounds a month sometimes less. Saturday I'll be 9 months out and I've lost 92 pounds.

It's important to fuel your body and give it the nutrition it needs. I only take a Multivitamin a day and my bloodwork is perfect. I have a few friends who've had the sleeve and only one is struggling with losing too much weight. She's always tired, doesn't work out, and still at two years post op only eats 800-1000 calories a day. My skin is the healthiest its ever been and my did fall out but was growing back at the same rate. It never got thin. Keep yourself healthy! Calorie restriction is only one factor of many to live a healthy lifestyle.

Hair*

I honestly don't think I'll have that problem. I'm studying the human body in school and have researched nutrition since I got the internet. I know eating under 1200 calories is unhealthy. I strived to get to 1200 as soon as I could. It took a good 6-7 months but I made it. Now I eat 1300-1500 calories a day and work out 5-6 days a week. I'm losing at a healthy rate usually 10 pounds a month sometimes less. Saturday I'll be 9 months out and I've lost 92 pounds.

It's important to fuel your body and give it the nutrition it needs. I only take a Multivitamin a day and my bloodwork is perfect. I have a few friends who've had the sleeve and only one is struggling with losing too much weight. She's always tired, doesn't work out, and still at two years post op only eats 800-1000 calories a day. My skin is the healthiest its ever been and my did fall out but was growing back at the same rate. It never got thin. Keep yourself healthy! Calorie restriction is only one factor of many to live a healthy lifestyle.

That's excellent advice indeed. May I ask how you got those 1200 calories and above in, in the end and what prevented you from being able to do that for the first 6 months?

I'm able to eat more now. Before I was able to eat 2 oz of Protein and maybe 3 bites of veggies. Now I can eat 3 oz plus maybe 1/4 cup of veggies. I try to eat every 3-4 hours since I'm working out pretty vigorously, my appetite has increased for needed nutrition. It took a while to figure it all out but I finally feel like I've found what works for me.

I was able to get to 1200 a day by 10 weeks out. and I try to stay around there. just 3 meals and about 3 Snacks a day. it's pretty easy to get to 1200 it took a while to eat solid Protein but I can do 3-4 oz now. ground meats and chilis and such are easier. I only do walking for exercise. nothing rigorous yet. I am 5-10 tall so that helps. so far I average 2 lbs a week and am happy with that. when I stall or slow down I will up the exercise program. I can't imagine losing too much! I have lost 70 and a normal BMI is 70 away. that's 9 more months. I would be happy with 50 more. I can't fathom having an issue with not being able to stop the loss. it takes concentration and mindful choices to keep it coming off!

I was able to get to 1200 a day by 10 weeks out. and I try to stay around there. just 3 meals and about 3 Snacks a day. it's pretty easy to get to 1200 it took a while to eat solid Protein but I can do 3-4 oz now. ground meats and chilis and such are easier. I only do walking for exercise. nothing rigorous yet. I am 5-10 tall so that helps. so far I average 2 lbs a week and am happy with that. when I stall or slow down I will up the exercise program. I can't imagine losing too much! I have lost 70 and a normal BMI is 70 away. that's 9 more months. I would be happy with 50 more. I can't fathom having an issue with not being able to stop the loss. it takes concentration and mindful choices to keep it coming off!

That's really good. Congratulations on your success. Have you any suggestions for upping the calorie intake in the first two months? I have visions of my being so worried about the calorie crash, that I'll be tempted to sip double cream or something?!