Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Steady losers ;-)

I agree that you can help him, however I think it may be more of a teaching thing. If you can help him, buy him the things he wants and NEEDS to eat. Teach him how to take care of himself. At 15, he is not too young to take responsibility for his own life, even if it means going against your mom.

I think you should sign them up for Honey We are Killing the Kids. That Tlc program. Maybe that will knock some sense into her!

Brandi - girl I just noticed your ticker! You are almost in onederland! Woohoo for you! As for your brother just keep encouraging him to come with you to the gym, but try to put it to him in a way that he feels like you need him .. like.. I hate going to the gym by myself, I'd give anything if someone would go with me, guilt guilt... instead of him feeling like its something you think he should be doing, bc how irritating is that when someone would urge you to exercise. Like my dh, he would always want to go for walks and it would just piss me off instead of it being loving like he meant it I would take it as he doesn't like me fat. Ok - so who spilled the Beans? I haven't told anyone from my job... cept Charlie, and he knows he's the only one I told. I told him that I wasn't telling anyone else because I feel like if I'm going to be the subject of conversation I want to be there.

Okay guys I need help once again

my husband aunt is having lapband surgery and she was wondering what pbing was i told her well she asked her doc about it and he told her something totally different

what is yall way of defining pbing i thought i knew maybe not so much

PB is when you physically gag and cough up something. A productive burp. It can be Water, saliva, but usually food is involved.

Sliming is when it just gets stuck and wont go down... but it doesnt come back up either. Then, the saliva wont go down either and kind of leaks out.

Attractive huh?

--------------------

As far as my little bro, I've tried all of those approaches with him. It is such a hard subject to bring up. He did want to do marital arts with me. I too am a big MMA (mixed martial arts) fan -- I'd love to be the first woman in the UFC -- I would love to learn Muay Thai and Brazilian Jujitsu. He DID want to do that with me, but i cant find any place that I can afford to get both of us to go. I need to work on that. We can kick ass and lose weight together.

Steph your son and I have alot in common. I may have to kick his ass one day.. haha.. when i get fit and lethal.

-------------------

I don't know how everyone at work found out about my surgery. I told no one. So, I have not been able to figure out where it started. It makes me so mad... people talking about me. Oh well, let them talk.

-------------------

I saw my cousin today who is an ex-model... and gorgeous. She claims that she's gained weight recently (I cant see it) She said she is around 150, and she is shorter than I am.... She looks stick thin. I don't know where she could possibly be keeping extra weight. So, I decided I may be stretching it with the 140 goal. I think 150 or 160 is proabably more doable. I guess I will figure that out when I get there.

I sure did feel huge next to her though. She is so beautiful and has the perfect body. She's had two kids, but she still seems like she is in perfect shape. I know what I want to look like at some point. I saw the size now. It seems so far away.

I can't wait until I look like that. (sigh)

BK - first I wanted to say congradulations on the anniversary! What a sweetie you have! How many years is it? 2nd - pb - is when something comes back up but its not like throwing up where all of your stomach comes up, just the peice of meat or whatever is stuck. I've only had it once and it hurt like heck - to the point where I didn't know what I was going to do - then I took a drink of Water and up came the bite of burger. I felt like it wasn't chewed enough - well I know it wasn't chewed enough because when I spit it out there it was a chunk of burger with Water. Then I felt fine. But you know the golf ball in the chest feeling when something is 'stuck' well when I pb'd it was way worse then just a golfball feeling - more like a bowling ball.

As for sliming - sorry Bman but you have this one wrong. Sliming is when you eat something thats hard to digest - like lettuce - I had this happen the night we went to ufc - we stopped for dinner and I had a salad - everything went down great, no pain, felt great, we get to the fights and about an hour into it I start getting saliva (spit)building up in my mouth. I was sliming ALL night - the dr says it because you don't have all the digestive juices in the pouch to digest the food and so your saliva works as a lubricant to get it down through the band, so when you eat something thats hard to get down the band you get all this extra saliva. Its gross but not horrible. I didn't have pain or anything. They say to drink pineapple juice to help the food digest enough to get through the band. The night at the fights there wasn't any pineapple juice around - I waited until we got out of there and the first gas station we got to I ran in and got some oj - it seemed to help alittle and by then it was 6 hours later so the lettuce was probably about done too. I keep a 6 pk of the little cans of pineapple juice in the cupboard just in case - and I have used them a few times since but before it gets as bad as it did the night of the fights.

Bman - I think you should google mixed martial arts in your area - thats how my son found his trainer. His is only a couple nights a week, but some of the guys that are already fighting go on alternate nights to a town about an hour away. That would be a fun thing to get into with him. Is he in any sports in school? My son developed great discipline in wrestling. My son also works out every day at home, running, and he has boxing and stuff set up in his basement.

The other night when I was at the support meeting they brought up about the stats for lapband - the average is 40% weight loss the first year - thats something you've all probably heard before and I knew too but hearing it again and realizing I'm only 10 lbs from it was another thing. Actually I've already lost 40% because although the bmi charts said I was at 40 I didn't really want to lose a 100 lbs - I want to lose a total of 80. I know my ticker says 140 and I'm sure thats do-able but I've always had 150 in my sights. I won't be real thin at 150 but I think I'll be a size 8-10 and Lord knows I'd be thrilled at that! My whole point was that we've all gotten discouraged and frustrated because the weight is slower coming off but we are also at a point where we're getting close to the statistics. I hope I bypass the average and hit my 80% by Christmas but I'm not beating myself up anymore - at least not today.

I said before my goal for this band is to help me to eat less, change my eating habits, and to develope good exercise habits. Just walking 30 minutes everyday is a BIG thing for me to be doing.

Have a good day ladies - I have a gallon of paint waiting for me.

:-) Thats what I said... the food gets stuck in the pouch and saliva comes out. You're producing extra and it can't get through the full pouch. At least that is what I mean... I must not have said it clearly, but i was thinking it. trust me been there done that...sliming.

I gonna google me some MMA. I think I feel a new obsession coming on. I have alot of pent up aggression and it would sure be fun to work it out by knocking a few heads. hhmmm... or maybe learning discipline to become a more centered, peaceful person would be the better option.

hi girls ,

bev- your brother is young and he can loose the weight quicker just help him with moral support that the best way .

bk-soon my pictures will be on my patient cornator website so you will get to see how uguly I look lol

b000- keep us update it on your book

ok girls time to share lol I going to chicago yay but only as vacation . i trully cant wait I havnt seen my best friend for 1 1/2 years and so cant wait to get a story like bev lol (hoping) . He doent ask much but he does know I had the surgery he asked me yesterday that how was my tummy after the fill I said ok but still fat he said you know god didnt creat the earth in hours or one day so you will get to your goal whatever it is day by day. I was really suprise to hear that from him it was awsome trully since my heart feels more than just a friend for him . Well just wanted to share with you gals .

its so funny how day by day our lives change with the band things or people that took us for granted come around or other things that we have inside come out .

have a beautiful day .

clau :clap2:

Okay steph sliming is what i have done a lot not pb

is sliming as hard on your band

too me I have pain a little then i have to spit the saliva up with no food it makes me feel lots better to know I was not pbing all these times

also i eat a lot of lettuce salads are my fav prob why

:confused:Ok Ladies.....I need HELP!!! My scale has not BUDGED in 2 weeks!! not even 1/2 pound up or down!!! :angry I'm NOT happy about this (obviously)....and I know some of you are struggling too. I know this could just be a pleatau, but it SUCKS!!! I know I have not been the BEST Bandster, but I DO still feel restriction and think that I'm keeping my calories around 12-1300 a day. I also started working out (Finally) this week, hoping that would get things moving, but so far NOTHING! :funscale: GRRRR......anyone else got some tips on breaking a plateau?? I won't be able to go for another fill until MAY!! :)

Brandi? Is that what you said? LOL - I guess when you said stuck I was thinking it was the golf ball feel.

MMA is really intense, and there are girls who do it. My dil works out with ds everyday but I don't think she plans on fighting - shes not very aggressive. Its a pretty healthy obsession.

BK if you are eating alot of salads I'm guessing you're doing alot of sliming. I ate a salad yesterday for the first time after my slime time and it was fine but I really chewed that lettuce well. I haven't eaten celery or carrots raw bc I'm afaid they won't digest very well.

Claudia have fun in Chicago!

My daughter thats in college is coming home this weekend. She's sooo home sick. I think we will go shopping and I'll get us a new outfit for Easter. I haven't seen her in over a month, and when she was on Spring break she went to New Orleans for a mission trip. I'm excited to see her.

Saw this post on another list I'm on and thought I'd post it for all you good exercisers that are on a pleateau! I didn't write this but thought it was some really good info to pass on!

"I'm a personal fitness trainer with an extensive backround in

exercise sciences.

When you first begin to exercise, your body goes through many

changes, including blood plasma expansion (you can gain as much as a

liter of blood the first 6 weeks which accounts for about 3 lbs.)

You may also retain Fluid around your joints for a while. You

probably haven't been exercising long enough to build a lot of

muscle, but muscle weighs 3-4x as much as fat by volume. Each pound

of muscle that you gain will increase your metabolic rate, and that

extra blood is assisting your cardio system.

This is why as a trainer we use body fat percentage tests as a

measure of progress; not so much weight.

I promise that if you continue to exercise you will lose more body

fat and inprove your health and have way more energy. Give your body

time to adapt.

It is normal to feel a bit more hungry when you are exercising. Try

not to eat a lot more calories because of it though. Drink tons of

Water and eat plenty of fruits and veggies instead."

Kirsten - I have also hit a plateau and it is very frustrating with all the work you put into it and not getting the results that you want. I was banded 12/6/06 and I have stopped for about 2 weeks also. I saw my surgeon yesterday and he told me that 1/2 lb to 1 lb a week was normal. Not at all what I wanted to hear!! My goal is more like 2 lbs a week. He did tell me that since I was in good physical health that I should be exercising 5-6 days a week and doing that will make the weight come off quicker. Of course I already knew that, but hearing it made me more determined that I need to get re-focused again on this and lower my calories to about 800-1000 a day and get back to exercising.

Hey Girls!

I am alive and well-just super inundated with school work and family obligations..AND DH was laid off a couple weeks and totally took over my computer. grrr.

He is back to work as of today and my life seems a little more routine.

I cannot believe how well everyone appears to be doing. That is wonderful! I am on the 3rd or 4th week of my plateau but I think things are starting to budge. I feel enormous even though I know I am smaller than I have been in years. I think I am just frustrated at my hard work not making the scale move for so long. Truth be told, I could be eating a little better and I am sure that has a lot to do with it.

I am up to 26 minutes of jogging now. I am hopefully going to meet my 30 minutes goal by April 1st! I usually walk for 5, run for as long as I am up to, then walk until I hit 45 minutes. My cardio endurance has improved amazingly! I don't even get that out of breath anymore, just my legs get tired. REALLY tired to the point of limping sometimes. I am actually going to head out in a minute and see if I can get a quick jog in.

Anyway, thanks to all for the shoutout. I am going to try to come on tonight and read up on all the posts. I am excited to hear from everyone.

Be well girls. Miss you all.

Hey ladies how is everyone I am finally through my plateau that lasted almost two months I hope I am really through it I have lost a lb a day for a few days now

I have no tips to help plateau wish I did

kay you are doing awesome jogging is very hard