Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I know everyone has a different menu of foods at different stages. Just wondering when everyone started on certain foods...

-Protein bars

-Peanut Butter

-Nuts

-Cooked veggies

-Salads

-Sashimi

Thanks-

Molly

:::waves to Molly::: Hi!!

I had my first Protein bar yesterday (4 weeks out), cooked veggies today (one of those "Just for One" Jolly Green Giant things - carrots & broccoli) and am allowed up to 1T/day of Peanut Butter now (although I use PB2 in my shakes in powdered form). Won't be trying the other items until I'm 6 weeks out and transitioning to regular diet!

Hi Joia! Can you believe we're 4 weeks out!? I had my 1st Protein Bar yesterday too & could only finish maybe a 1/4!

I'm still on liquids, but this is what my surgeon's program guide has listed. We have four phases, as follows:

Phase 1, liquids (no yogurt, pureed Soup, or cottage cheese - only true liquids) for one month; Phase 2, purees (no fruits or veggies or anything grain-based allowed, no pureed soup) for another month, Phase 3, soft foods (no starchy veg or anything grain-based allowed) for four months, Phase 4 - starting at six months after surgery - anything allowed in moderation as long as you meet your nutrient goals. This phase is for the rest of your life. So:

-Protein bars - not until stage four (six months out) as they are considered starchy foods

-Peanut Butter - stage two, purees, one month after surgery

-Nuts - stage four, six months after surgery

-Cooked veggies - stage three, two months after surgery, unless they are starchy veg such as potatoes, in which case stage four, six months after surgery.

-Salads - stage four, six months after surgery

-Sashimi - if pureed, then in stage II, one month after surgery. If not pureed, then stage three, two months after surgery.

I'm still on liquids, but this is what my surgeon's program guide has listed. We have four phases, as follows:

Phase 1, liquids (no yogurt, pureed Soup, or cottage cheese - only true liquids) for one month; Phase 2, purees (no fruits or veggies or anything grain-based allowed, no pureed soup) for another month, Phase 3, soft foods (no starchy veg or anything grain-based allowed) for four months, Phase 4 - starting at six months after surgery - anything allowed in moderation as long as you meet your nutrient goals. This phase is for the rest of your life. So:

-Protein bars - not until stage four (six months out) as they are considered starchy foods

-Cooked veggies - stage three, two months after surgery, unless they are starchy veg such as potatoes, in which case stage four, six months after surgery.

-Sashimi - if pureed, then in stage II, one month after surgery. If not pureed, then stage three, two months after surgery.

Wow. I thought just 4 weeks of liquids (also no yogurt or pudding, just liquids) before going into soft foods was harsh. Geez Louise. So for 6 mths, no salads? luv salads. And no mashed potatoes? They're on my soft food list (even tho the PA in my office HATES any carbs, the MD suggests potatoes as one of the first soft foods we eat).

Good luck! I really mean that, not to sound sarcastic or anything. I hope it doesn't sound sarcastic??? Does your dr give reasons why you have to wait 6 mths for certain items? I'm under the understanding that your staples are totally healed after 2 mths - that you should be able to tolerate any food then.

At least I'm praying that I can!!!

WOW, Bufflehead.....YOU GO GIRL!

lol, thanks guys, to the OP, I didn't mean to hijack your thread with my surgeon's strict requirements!

As to why wait for things like salads and nuts, I think they believe that a lot of people's stomachs will not be able to handle them until well out.

For putting off longer than most things like fruits, veg, starchy veg, and grain-based food, they really want all of us to focus what little capacity we have in our new stomachs on Protein. They especially don't want us wasting capacity/calories on things that are not as nutritionally important (for most of us) like potatoes or rice. And they want us to build these habits for life, so they make us do that for a long time. I'm good with all of this -- I think I'll do better with strict rules than I would with a more laissez-faire approach. And for a variety of reasons I think I'm destined to be a "slow loser" (although I dislike comparisons, this is not a race), so it's probably best for me to be really strict for a long time rather than open up the possibility of me starting to nosh on mashed potatoes or Pasta or something.

Bufflehead, I go to the same surgeon as you and they said that the program they use has the least complications. It is unfortunate that there are so many different programs people have to follow, it makes things so confusing.