Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My BIGGEST concern is pulmonary emboli! Biggest risk with any surgery.

Thanks for your so call expertise. I won't even respond to your next comment, since your proving my point...

Well, you asked, called people names, and I responded, period. I proved the point that you need to ask your doctor more questions and do more research on your OWN before making a decision on having this surgery....as good as people feel losing the weight, this surgery, as any, is serious....

SO instead of name calling, go back and ASK your DOCTOR more questions....the RIGHT questions, about HIM or HER....

Thank you everyone for responding. I try to ask my surgeon but he really didn't want to answer that question. He just said "lets be positive"

That response would be a red flag for me... I don't like either of the possible things I can think of that a response (or lack thereof) like that would signify: Either the surgeon has had patients die and doesn't want that information widely known (worst case, obviously), or simply is reluctant to give you ALL the information you need. Neither of which would be acceptable to me, personally.

Best of luck

Any major surgery has risks. This one was def worth the risk! Follow Doctors orders and u will b fine :)

Well... my surgery is August 1st. My Mom died of Cancer, and I'm having my surgery on the first Anniversary of her death. If I haven't posted by the 5th (the day after I return from Mexico), you'll know I've joined her. I'm just being "flip", because just as I told my Brother.... It will be the first day of the rest of my life !!! I plan on posting as soon as I get home.

Well... my surgery is August 1st. My Mom died of Cancer' date=' and I'm having my surgery on the first Anniversary of her death. If I haven't posted by the 5th (the day after I return from Mexico), you'll know I've joined her. I'm just being "flip", because just as I told my Brother.... It will be the first day of the rest of my life !!! I plan on posting as soon as I get home.[/quote']

Sorry to hear about your mom. You will be fine. Your going to have a smooth recovery and you'll be posting about how fantastic you feel.

There is a danger of dying anytime you are put under for anesthesia and having any kind of surgery. There is also a danger of dying from obesity and all the comorbidities that go along with that.....

Once my docs told me that the risk of death was the same as for gallbladder removal, appendix removal, and a lot of other general surgeries it really calmed my nerves. Especially because I had to have my gallbladder removed anyway. Also there are a handful of people here on vst with a really sarcastic sense of humor. It can be off putting sometimes if you are not the same way but you will get to know who they are. I think people were just joking around with you.

Once my docs told me that the risk of death was the same as for gallbladder removal' date=' appendix removal, and a lot of other general surgeries it really calmed my nerves. Especially because I had to have my gallbladder removed anyway. Also there are a handful of people here on vst with a really sarcastic sense of humor. It can be off putting sometimes if you are not the same way but you will get to know who they are. I think people were just joking around with you.[/quote']

Thanks for responding. I know, but i wasn't in a joking mood that day. Im ready for this surgery now. I should of done it along time ago but i was so scared. But this site has open my eyes to new heights and possibilities.

Thanks for responding. I know' date=' but i wasn't in a joking mood that day. Im ready for this surgery now. I should of done it along time ago but i was so scared. But this site has open my eyes to new heights and possibilities.[/quote']

I totally get it. I think sometimes we forget how downright terrifying those pre op fears can be. Actually canceled my surgery the first time out of anxiety. But now I'm really glad I did it and wish I had not cancelled the first surgery date because I'd be 2 months further along my journey at this point.