Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just want to ask a question that i haven't seen on here. I've heard of leaks, can't keep food down, and etc. Has anyone passed away from this surgery. I plan on doing this surgery but i just would like to know.

I'd guess that if someone had passed away from the surgery, they wouldn't be able to respond here...

If they have they arent going to answer haha jk but yes people have died. My dr told me the percentage but I forgot but the risks are different depending on your age, starting weight, health, etc. Very low percentage though

I'd guess that if someone had passed away from the surgery' date=' they wouldn't be able to respond here...[/quote']

I guess. Who knows of anyone who passed away after having this surgery.

If they have they arent going to answer haha jk but yes people have died. My dr told me the percentage but I forgot but the risks are different depending on your age' date=' starting weight, health, etc. Very low percentage though[/quote']

Thanks for responding. Some people just like being smart assess

There was someone here a few months back that passed away not long after surgery. I don't recall the specific facts but think it was a blood clot or embolism. It was conveyed by a friend of his.

It is very rare, but it does happen. That said, we all hundred times more likely to die from a complication related to being obese.

I would do it again in a heartbeat!

In all seriousness, I just did a Google search on the mortality rate - websites vary, of course, depending on where they draw their data from. Any surgery bears a risk, from basic complications to death. I trusted my surgeon completely, and was well researched and prepared before I committed to this.

That being said, I've been in the WLS community for awhile now, having first had a LapBand installed in January 2010 (removed in March 2013 and sleeved in June 2013). I am an active blogger with many friends and family members who have either the LapBand, Gastric Bypass or Gastric Sleeve. While I know of one person who's had complications, I know no one who has had fatal issues with any WLS.

Of the 6 doctors I interviewed before deciding, one had a single fatality: a 600-lb man with a LOT of complications going in. He had operated on other folks of the same weight who thrived after, but I guess it was that one gentleman's time to go. The rest of the doctors had not had any fatalities..

My doctor told me that he had a patient die after the surgery from several complications. He also told me that this person was very heavy, had several illnesses related to their weight(including some kind of blood problem) and was not up and moving when they should have been.

I took my chances. Because honestly, at 376 pounds and 28 years old I was as good as dead anyway.

I will be 3 weeks out tomorrow and at my 2 week appt I was down 30 pounds..... I am living!!!

Yes, people do die and have died from this surgery. It is a sad fact. There was a guy who was on here a few months ago who passed away, he had a blood clot after several other issues. There are some people that have leaks, and I did read one poster posted about here sister who had tons of issues and was hospitalized for several months after this surgery, and had to be fed through a feeding tube. I'm not trying to scare you by telling you these things, but it does happen. I was lucky enough to be incident free when I had my sleeve done, but I was also in relatively good health. That is not to say people in good health do not have complications. My mother had a Tummy Tuck in December, she used a wonderful surgeon that cam highly reccommended who I helped her choose after tons of research. Her tummy tuck went septic, she had to be recut open and the area had to be fully cleaned out. She spent over 2 weeks in the hospital, and is still not fully recovered, she still ahs extensive swelling and the scar looks awful. She just happened to be number 1 in a million. I would do this surgery again in a heart beat, and I will probably have a tummy tuck someday as well, but please do all of your research and know that unfortunately complications do exist in any type of surgery, and one of those complications is death. I hope you find a good trusted surgeon. Best of luck to you.

Thank you everyone for responding. I try to ask my surgeon but he really didn't want to answer that question. He just said "lets be positive"

Most complications from WLS are from the RNY also called gastric bypass surgery.

The question you should ask your surgeon is what is his or her success rate, not if anyone have died from the surgery.....there is always a chance of death even with the most routine procedures, what you need to know is what is his or her's success rate...

And as far as people being smart asses, you need to ask the right questions for the correct answers....people were answering what you asked...

The question you should ask your surgeon is what is his or her success rate' date=' not if anyone have died from the surgery.....there is always a chance of death even with the most routine procedures, what you need to know is what is his or her's success rate...

And as far as people being smart asses, you need to ask the right questions for the correct answers....people were answering what you asked...[/quote']

Thanks for your so call expertise. I won't even respond to your next comment, since your proving my point...

Yes, people die from this surgery. By law, the information is published and it is your right to know. Risk of death is about 1:500, I think; and risk is higher the worse your health is to begin with. However, it is the people in the worst health who stand to benefit most from the surgery.