Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Ohio, let's get this started

Lisa,

I live in the Dayton area too!

The only thing I wish I knew ahead of time is that I had heard about the band sooner. I would have had this done years ago if I had known about it. It's been the best thing for me and my health. It's always been hard for me to lose weight and with the band I haven't done too bad. My surgery was on October 11 of this year and I've lost 30 pounds. About half of it came off in the first two weeks and the last 15 pounds has been slow. But it is coming off. And, I'm not suffering from it. (No feelings of deprivation.) I eat pretty much whatever I want, I just can't eat very much. And that's okay. Sometimes you just need a taste.

Anyway. It's been great for me.

Love my band.

Barbara

Hi Lisa,

Which hospital are you going to have your banding done at? I am a nurse and work at Good Sam. We have awesom Bariatric rooms that were just completed not too long ago. She and Dr Sidiqui(never spell his name right) work very well together. I have observed them doing surgeries. They call and check on patients and are very easy to reach if anything comes up. The do great pain and nausea prevention regimine. Good Luck and Welcome to LBT. Feel free to pm me anytime.

I am looking forward to meeting area banders and keep in touch with each other for support in our new lifestyle ! After my surgery,hopefully in January, I plan on attending the support seminars with Kettering Bariatrics.

Do you know when the support groups meet at Kettering - are they combined with RNY's or band-only? Possibly I'll find out when I go to pre-admission testing on Tuesday. You know, we should plan an event sometime and somewhere central and all get together for a reunion of some sort. Anyone game after we're banded? :)

Hello My name is Kathy, I got the lap band on Nov. 8, 2006, I have had only one fill and scheduled to have one next week. I also had Anthem and had no problems getting it approved, although I have 2 friends I work with who are trying to get approved they have UHC. I have lost 27 lbs. excited about that want more! Don't We All! The one thing I need to remember now is that you need to make sure food is really chewed good, it does get stuck, sometimes not bad worst case 5 min to be unstuck. A couple of questions I have is I never seem to get full and I still worry about what if the band pops open, I know don't borrow trouble but does anyone know if that is possible? Thanks

I'm so happy, there are more new people here.

Congratulations Caroyln, I know how you feel to finally get through all of the red tape. Not much longer now.

Mindful - I have nothing but nice thoughts for Dr. Schumacher and Sycamore Hosptial. I was up and about that evening and I had no complications. I would like a band only support group but it would have to be during the day and for me and unfortunatly I don't think there are enough people for that.

dotofoz - I think you have found the one thing that will work, at least it has for me and I really think it will for you also. If you get nervous before the surgery remember that that is a normal thing and just go with it and you wont regret it.

Impersons - My post-op diet was mostly lipton cup of Soup cream of chicken, Isopro protien drink (orange frost and grape freeze), Jello, Water, and Atkins drinks. I know it doesn't sound the greates but really it wasn't that bad. At first I wasn't hungry at all and had to make myself drink.

Babyboomer - I think you are in my brain because what you said is so similar to what I feel. This band has been one of the best things I ever did for myself I just wish that I would of been able to get it 10 years ago. Oh well at least I have it now and I don't regret it one bit. I also had my surgery in Oct. (18th) and have lost 30# so far, first 15 came off in the first two weeks the rest since then. I'm happy with the weight loss expecially through the holiday season, usually I gain at least 10# but not this year.

Wolfmom - Congrats on you weightloss so far, your doing great. I went through a stage after my first fill where I felt hungry, not starving, most of the time. I feel for me that it was more an emotional hunger then actual hunger, my mind telling me I need food but my stomach not telling me that. The only way that I was able to get through that was to make myself pack my lunch and snack everynight before I went to work and not take money with me so that I couldn't get anything out of the vending machines. I also wasn't able to eat out at that time either because it was to tempting. Even if I did eat more often it still was no way near what I used to consume.

I'm so glad that I have all you friends for support. I just can't tell you enough how good if feels to beable to get on here and if I'm having a bad day or just want to talk to someone that is going through what I am and understands how I feel and can encourage and empathize with me.

I hope everone has a great New Years and look out 2007 because we are going to make things happen.

I just wanted to say hello and I go to my seminar on January 12th. I have been counting the days!! Unfortunately, there is a direct exclusion with my Med Mutual policy and I have to self-pay, but it will be worth every penny! I have been reading and researching every night. I still have not figured out what pb stands for??? :help: Can someone help me out? I am going to UPMC Horizon for my surgery. Wishing all of a you a Happy New Year!!

Well, first I waned to share more about myself. I am 36 years old, single and most times, rather isolated. I've let my weight over the many years be the reason I don't get out and do much. I need to lose a hundred pounds to be where I'm comfortable.

I'm living in Columbus, Ohio but this is not my dream to stay here. I'm pursuing a licensure in community counseling (this will officially allow me to a therapist) and I hope to specialize in eating disorders. I also hope to specialize in disordered eating behaviors. By this, I mean that many folks out there may not necessarily meet the criteria for a full-fledged eating dirsorder and I think the disordered eating behaviors they do warrant attention and understanding.

I have a history of an eating disorder, sometimes ranging from bulimia to anorexia to binge eating and simply disorder eating behaviors/thoughts. Fortunately I have done a significant amount of work with food additions and I do believe that the thoughts don't necessarily go away; rather we get stronger to fight against them. Personally, I use food when I am at home watching tv, when I can't sleep, when I've got something yummy in the house (in those circumstances I can't seem to let myself just have one piece). I think the band will help all these issues,

I have two cats, Snickers and Triskett, and they are my children. One of the reasons I chose the band was so that in a year or two I may be able to have a child of my own. I hope, as the weight comes of, that I will be able to increase my social situations because I'm very easy to talk to and have a genuine sense of concern about people.

I am being banded on 1/10/07 with Dr. Schumacher. I go for pre-admission testing the big 3-hour class where I'll get my post-op meal plan. Fortunately, I don't have to be on a pre-op plan.

I do have a couple of questions for the bandsters. I was going to put up a poll but I guess you can't do this unless you are starting a new thread. So, if you start a new threat, are you out of this Hello, OH, let's get this started? Must be, so I'll post this message with my questions AND put up the poll in the OHIO forum. I would love to hear thoughts on having a get together say every 60-90 days and I would also like to hear if people out there could be in a lap band only support group somewhere centralized say once a month or every two months for extended time.

So:

Support Group? Yes/No

What is centralized location for YOU?

Monthly or every other month?

Daytime or Evening?

If no support group, maybe reunion every 90 days?

My question for those banded already is this: I'll need to take pills about 10 hours after I wake up. Did anyone have trouble taking medication. I really don't to crush them; besides being on Clear liquids there wouldn't be anything decent to crush them in. If you did have to crush them, for how long? Thanks and I look forward to getting to know you all better.:)

Hi my fellow Ohioans!

I added an Intro board to the Ohio forum - hopefully more people will introduce themselves. I also added a Pills/Medications threat and Support Group POLL and thread.

Do you think we should add another thread for foods/recipes or keep most of our discussions right here in this thread?

I really want to support and help linadu for getting Ohio going. May the Bucks be proud.:clap2:

Linadu...I also work nights. Am not banded as of yet but do work on the bariatric and surgery unit at GSH. Have had alot of training in this area for my job. Would love to participate if you all would like to have me.

I just wanted to be apart of this thread,Im just now leaving a message for the insurance cordin at Dr.Curry's office in Cincy,this is gonna be a long process but Im gonna be patient:phanvan .

I have Medicaid right now,so that probably isnt gonna help.So Im now starting to interview with some companies in hopes to get a job with great benefits.I did not want to work while in school,but its sounds like I have to now.

Hey,how do you find out if an employer offers the Weight Loss Surgery benefit?without scarring them off.:paranoid

Let's keep in touch Ohio!!

Shay

I have Medicaid right now,so that probably isnt gonna help.So Im now starting to interview with some companies in hopes to get a job with great benefits.I did not want to work while in school,but its sounds like I have to now.

Hey,how do you find out if an employer offers the Weight Loss Surgery benefit?without scarring them off.:paranoid

Dear Shay:

Just a suggestion because I don't know what you are qualified for. But, hospitals and banks almost always provide health benefits for part-time workers over 16 hours per week. As for asking about coverage for WLS, before you accept an offer, request to review the complete manual for that provider and you can say that you want to review the benefits as health coverage is very important. Good Luck!:)

Linadu...I also work nights. Am not banded as of yet but do work on the bariatric and surgery unit at GSH. Have had alot of training in this area for my job. Would love to participate if you all would like to have me.

Hi Teresa! Are you saying that you may be interested in a support group? Obviously, since you work nights, you would need one at night, right?:biggrin1:

Hi. I'm from N.E. OH and have my surgery scheduled for 2/22 w/

Dr. Ben-Mir, St. Vincent Hospital. I've tried about EVERY diet, trick, and pill known to human kind, so hopefully this will work! Keep in touch and good luck to you all!

Congrats on getting a date, dotofoz. My surgery is on 1/10/07 and I'm really looking forward to it. I've also tried way too many times. I've heard wonderful things about Dr. Ben-Mir. :biggrin1:

I just wanted to say hello and I go to my seminar on January 12th. I have been counting the days!! Unfortunately, there is a direct exclusion with my Med Mutual policy and I have to self-pay, but it will be worth every penny! I have been reading and researching every night. I still have not figured out what pb stands for??? :help: Can someone help me out? I am going to UPMC Horizon for my surgery. Wishing all of a you a Happy New Year!!

Hi Ladyleo! I know it really sucks to have to front that kind of money but sometimes when you have to put it up, you are that much more successful. And, UPMC is a great program. I've not met anyone yet who self-payed and stayed here in the US. Most I've met have gone down to Monterrey for less money and great results. Are you living in OH now and driving to UPMC? Great to meet you.