Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Teeth correction needed as a VSG vet?

Before VSG, I generally did not take the effort needed on my dental appearance to keep a good mouth full of teeth.

One praise as a post op is that I have really taken ownership of my dental care and I am finally returning from dental cleanings without having to also schedule a cavity, a crown a root Crown or an extraction. The last 3 are fairly big issues, but started to feel like the norm as an adult over the last 10 years.

I brush with prescription every morning and floss with those tooth picks (those are a miracle for flossing haters like myself!). Every evening I use Total care mouthwash. You are supposed to wait 30-60 minutes after using prescription tooth paste to drink any liquids or use mouthwash, so it makes it challenging to brush again with being a good post op drinker and eater. I am eating all the way until I go to bed in order to get max Protein daily. Anyways, the results have been great! My gums are a healthy pink and not hurting of teeth.

I have lost 4 molars already in the back. I never did get implants to fill the gaps and now the rest of my teeth in front and on the sides are starting to show signs of gapping in a big way. Not every tooth and not too obvious unless you are close up looking at my mouth, but very obvious to me. Would getting implants now correct this issue? I don't have the money for 4 implants because the cost for each is really high, even with dental insurance.

Did others take corrective action on their dental appearance as a vet and would anything help me? Am I too vain about this? I secretly want a perfect set of teeth I guess, but do realize I am getting older ( 40 in a few years) and it ma not matter so much.

I avoided the dentist for a long time. I had this weird dentist phobia. Lol

Since surgery i have been very proactive about my teeth/smile.

I have a missing molar too. It was a baby tooth that didnt fall out until i was 32. I will eventually get an implant. But yes, very costly.

I have always been very self conscious about my overbite and my top k9's were very slanted.

So I am also 6 months into wearing braces. 18 months to go!!

I inspired my husband to get braces too. His teeth were far worse than mine. So now both of us and both kids are all in braces at the same time. Fun! lol

It is really important to take good care of our teeth at any age. I say do what you need to do to have a beautiful smile and healthy teeth. Yes the work is expensive but well worth it. Your smile is everything. :)

I was not taught good dental hygiene as a child, and that coupled with weak enamel, led to massive work at age 19. Since then, and I am now 60, I have taken extremely good care of my teeth and gums. Obviously I lacked in other areas, such as weight control.

I say do what you must to get the smile you want and deserve. You are still young at 40, not old!! You still have a good 40-50 years left if things go as they should. Nothing is more noticeable yo me than bad or sparse teeth!

Call today!!

Niki- I can completely relate to your comment about dental phobia! It was extremely apparent from 18-36. but is almost gone now as a post op as that going to the dentist does not yield pain nor does it result in bad report cards. :)

Kyllfalcon and ms. Skinniness- thanks for the encouragement to take care of this issue. I am a strong believer in the statement "where there is a will there is a way" and I am strong willed so will seek out a way. :)

Fiddleman, I opted for braces instead of implants. I'm missing two teeth on the lower jaw (one on each side), but I have all of my wisdom teeth. My orthodontist is slowly moving my wisdom teeth into the gap to fill the space, so I won't need implants.

I had my braces put on just a couple of months after my VSG. I opted for clear brackets in the front top, so it isn't obvious that I have them. The cost was about the same as implants.

The good news is that when my teeth ache after an orthodontist appointment, I am satisfied with just a Protein drink. ;-)

Braces are a good idea to shift the remaining teeth back into position but if you've no molars left then implants (or something else) should be pursued. I had teeth issues that were resolved by braces over 5 years ago. I also have one tooth missing on each side towards the back and should have had a bridge or implants once the braces came off. I did not and am now dealing with subtle shifting of my teeth which will only increase as time goes on - not good! Once my financial situation is better I will look at replacing the missing teeth and possibly placement back in braces to resolve these issues once and for all.

I was not planning on dealing with teeth again but will to pay for mistakes made in the past.

Thanks for the braces suggestion, but I do not think I will be doing those torture devices again. One time for, what, 6 years is enough for me. The headaches are still fresh from middle school and high school from all that tightening. Nope, I do not think so, not again.

I have the gap left open from where i lost my molar. My orthodontist and dentist decided that was the best method. Once i get my braces off i will need an implant.

I think its good to care about our dental health, even cosmetically. If i am working my butt off exercising, eating right and making myself healthy.....i am going to do the whole package!

Heck, i even traded the glasses in for contacts finally! I am a whole new girl when people see me! Complete with braces to match my kids!

Niki - great comment about taking care of the whole package. I am finally wanting to ditch my glasses as well and want to get LASIK surgery. Unfortunately, I do not have the money for it this year so am thinking about getting it next year. My vision is not bad and I can do OK without my glasses. I would not want to drive without them though. :) I have around 30 / 20 vision. I do not need them for objects up close, but do for anything further away. It must has been my daily computer use since 25 years ago. Lol.

Ha Niki! My kids are in braces too, Right now we have four sets of braces going on. I'm a bigger wimp than my kids. :)

getting older ( 40 in a few years) and it may not matter so much. - taken ownership of my dental care

Fiddle

During VSG i also started paying closer attention to my teeth also

One of my front teeth was "teeny, teeny" bit shorter than the other

post goal i desided i was FINALLY worth it to get situation corrrected!!!!

of course i was "worth" it before, didn't feel it though :(

Finally spent the money on two caps!!!!

they look great :)

as many of us, i always ran from the camera :angry:

now i hog the camera :lol:

being at goal, great lookin' teeth and new smile

what more could one ask for???

one more thing Fiddle

hmmmmm - getting "older"???

40 in a few years???? :o

OMG - where does that put ME on the age monitor :o

I'll be 60 years YOUNG in January

but................since VSG i agree............

60 is the new 40!!!! ;)

hot grammy remember!!!!!

(Fiddle, you know i'm just teasing you ;) )

don't worry neither you or i will be an ol' fart any time soon!!!! :lol:

keep smilin'

kathy

My teeth are genetically horrible- both my parents have crap teeth, and now my 3 1/2 year old has gotten the crap teeth gene. I finally talked to the kids dentist and she gave me the name of a good sedation dentist- I too have MAJOR dental phobia which is funny considering I have gone to the same dentist since I was 6- my good friends dad, but he did finally retire this year. I have one tooth that will need a crown and maybe a root canal. We shall see. But yes- I'm working on my teeth now.

Fiddleman,

The dentist can make spacers that you wear to prevent teeth from shifting until you do get implants or a bridge.

Lynda