Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much more do I need to do before surgery is scheduled?

I'm just trying to figure out how much more I will need to do before my surgery can be scheduled. I have had my 3 months of doctor supervised diet. I met with both the nutritionist and psychologist. I think I will need to have a consult with the exercise person. Other than having a pre-surgery physical, are there any other types of doctor appointments I will need? Thanks in advance.

It really depends on the insurance, but mine required a sleep study to be done to check for sleep apnea. Otherwise you have covered all MY insurance requirements. Best of luck to you.

My doctor and insurance also required chest x-rays, ekg, and lots of bloodwork. However, do it happily and consider it part of your road to wellness. I think the people that have the biggest problems with the surgery (and are most likely to gain it back afterwards), are the people that were expecting a fast, quick fix. Take the time to really study, research, and prepare for the surgery. Talk to as many people as possible that have already had the surgery - find out what life is REALLY like after surgery. The people that do the best with it are those who come to it ready to make lifestyle changes permanently. Those expecting a fast, quick fix inevitably end up complaining about how horrible life is immediately following their surgeries, and they are the ones most likely to gain the weight back in the end. So don't rush it. The doctors and insurance companies may seem like a real pain, but in the end, the longer pre-op process DOES help!!!

Thanks Shoopaie and Swimmom. I already have a cpap machine since I was diagnosed with sleep apnea several years ago. I have been reading these forums, read many articles about the vsg, and talked with multiple people about their wls. I have tracked my calories for the past 2 months to prepare for both the pre-op diet and life after wls. In addition, I have started not drinking before, during, and after meals to practice how I need to work with my sleeve. I also have been tracking my exercise. I know this will be a marathon not a sprint regarding my weight loss. I feel very fortunate that my mother, who lives with me, is very supportive. In fact, my mother who is not a candidate for wls,is going to start her own weight loss journey at the same time. We will be each other's cheerleader.

I'm sure you both will be very successful!