Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SLEEVE TOO NARROW (AT 7 MONTHS HAVING AN ENDOSCOPY)

I'm wondering if anyone else 6 months or more post-op (sleeve) have had to undergo an endoscopy to see why their sleeve is so restrictive (or narrow). Now at over 7 months, I try to eat the foods I should be eating (chicken, fruits and veggies, whole grains), but still can't tolerate more than 3-4 bites - much less than 1/4 cup of food or 6 oz. of protein! I am now afraid to even try certain foods (Pasta, rice, bread as I have felt so ill after trying a small bite). I have an endoscopy schedled for Fri. 5/31. If there is a build-up of excess scar tissue causing the extreme narrowness of the sleeve, does anyone know how this gets repaired. As far as my weight loss, it has certainly stalled, I gained 2.5 pounds from April to May!! I realized since I couldn't eat enough Protein or "real food", I was reverting to my old pre-surgery ways of eating processed foods (some things, like graham crackers and cheese doodles go down my sleeve just fine, unfortunately!). So I'm back on at least one shake for Breakfast or lunch and feel a lot better already! Thanks!

I am 6 months out and can only eat at the most 4 oz of Protein at a meal. 1/2 cup is all I can eat at a time. How much do you think you should be eating?

I'm almost two years out and that is about where I am at now ...

Like Mokee asks ... what do you think you should be able to eat?

Stop eating the bad stuff and stick to the good and you'll be fine. Is your bloodwork off?

Sounds like your doctor might think you have a stricture? Very easily fixed...

STRICTURES (VSG gastroduodenal anastomosis)

Symptoms: persistent nausea /vomiting, inabilty or gradual inability to keep anything down including liquids. Post-VSGrs w/ strictures also report: liquids backing up in their esophagus, foamies, heaving, fatigue.

Causes: When a surgeon inadvertantly narrows the entrance from stomach to pyloric canal because of misalignment of bougie, "misfiring" of stapler, staples your stomach to small intestine (duodenum) Scar tissue begins to adhere to staples within 72 hours post op. Scar tissue/adhesions tighten the opening to the pyloric canal/sphincter further. Akin to a clogged drain..over time forcing food/drink to 'back up'.

Occurrence: usually from 3-6 weeks post-op, but have read of cases 2-6 months out due to scar tissue build up gradually narrowing the already narrowed opening to the pyloric canal (**see below).

Diagnosis: upper GI, abdominal CT scan , and/or Xray. Treatment: hospitalization, cleared with endoscopic balloon dilation providing mild stretching at site, dilation treatments may need to be repeated before resolution.

I' m 5+ months out and can only eat about 3 oz Protein.. Sometimes just a few bites. I don't eat Pasta, breads and the such because I don't crave them plus I'm not at goal yet. I can eat lots of slider foods but I don't. If I feel I don't get enough Protein in one meal I eat the same thing again a bit later. I welcome my restriction.

If you do have a stricture, like Laura pointed out, its easily fixable

I don't know that I have what you have, but I can definitely relate. I am 3 months post and am having similar difficulty with eating solids. I chew, take small bits and try to eat slowly, but I feel terribly after. I try to stop before I get to that point, but then I am so hungry, it is difficult. Then after a few minutes its gets painful and very full feeling. I am frustrated from feeling so hungry. I too am starting to slip and when I do, it doesn't hurt either. But I am starting to feel extremely disappointed and hopeless. Like what I have I done?

It does sound like something is wrong if you can only eat a few small bites. I think maybe you mistyped 6 oz. of Protein. I don't know anyone here who can eat that much, Even at two years out, I can only eat a little of 3 oz. of Protein on a good day. And most days it's 3 oz. tops for protein.

As far as cheese doodles, everyone falls off the wagon now and then. Just climb back on. And throw the rest of them away pronto. cheese doodles are one of the foods that just doesn't come in the door at my house. I know my limits! I even made myself sick as a dog while using Alli by eating them and I still would overeat them if they were here. Talk about a slow learner!

Best wishes on a speedy recovery,

Lynda

You know, I appologize for my ignorance about ounces, etc. I don't weigh my food at all and go mostly by what fits in a tiny 1/3 cup bowl. I would say that I can eat less than the size of my thumb of any Protein - shredded, chewed, what-have-you. I can eat an egg omlette w/ cheese (about 5-6 bites-one egg, one slice of cheese), but only 2-3 bites of a scrambled egg with cheese. It's the texture that's getting food stuck. meats and veggies in Soups are fine, I just am sick to death of them! I love being restricted, as this is the only way I am ever going to meet my goal, but I want to eat healthy foods. Cheese doodles should not be in my diet at all, but I gave in to cravings a lot easier when I wasn't meeting my protein needs. Like I said, I'm back to having at least one Protein Shake a day and feel a lot better. (I said to my husband, "Imagine if all this time, my stomach is too small!" and he replied, "So, what are you going to do about it?" I said, "Nothing ... I guess. Just be mad!" And we laughed. Oh well, this too shall pass! Thanks for the posts everyone. :)

Strictures are not easily fixed. I found I had one at about 6 weeks post-op and had a dialation done by endoscopy and it closed back up within 2 days! I was hospitalized for 6 days last week at which time my surgeon put a metal stent in my esophagus. At first I could drink, but now I survive on plain Water. I haven't had anything to eat in almost 4 weeks. I vomit all the time and the stent is very uncomfortable and constantly hurts. It constantly feels like something is "stuck" in my throat and I would give anything to eat something!

Strictures are not easily fixed. I found I had one at about 6 weeks post-op and had a dialation done by endoscopy and it closed back up within 2 days! I was hospitalized for 6 days last week at which time my surgeon put a metal stent in my esophagus. At first I could drink' date=' but now I survive on plain Water. I haven't had anything to eat in almost 4 weeks. I vomit all the time and the stent is very uncomfortable and constantly hurts. It constantly feels like something is "stuck" in my throat and I would give anything to eat something![/quote']

Oh my, that sounds so terrible

Yikes - that sounds terrible. Why was your esophagus affected? I thought with the sleeve all they did was chop off part of our stomach? Did you maybe have work done to repair a hiatal hernia? I'm three months out and feel like something is wrong. I just can't eat food without feeling sick? Good luck with your strictures....

Jenny Beth,

I hope you are feeling better soon. There was another poster earlier this year who had the same thing. She hated the stent! But she did eventually get better and I hope you do too and soon!

Lynda

Thank you. I did also have a hiatal hernia repaired at the time of my sleeve. I'm hoping this stent will take care of the stricture so that when it is removed my esophagus remains open and I can eat again. I'm also wondering if my surgeon made my sleeve too narrow. :(

I'm actually back in the hospital due to dehydration and they are putting in a pic line tomorrow so I can do IV fluids and PTN nutrition through it. I've lost 55 pounds in 10 weeks and my body is in poor shape nutritionally. The surgeon does not want to remove the stent just yet because he's afraid the stricture will just close back up. I also have to have an upper GI in the morning. He's pretty sure that all the vomiting and nausea has everything swollen and it is swollen around the stent which is why I can only get little amounts of Water in. I hope that things begin to turn around for me. I was not prepared for all of this!

I'm actually back in the hospital due to dehydration and they are putting in a pic line tomorrow so I can do IV fluids and PTN nutrition through it. I've lost 55 pounds in 10 weeks and my body is in poor shape nutritionally. The surgeon does not want to remove the stent just yet because he's afraid the stricture will just close back up. I also have to have an upper GI in the morning. He's pretty sure that all the vomiting and nausea has everything swollen and it is swollen around the stent which is why I can only get little amounts of Water in. I hope that things begin to turn around for me. I was not prepared for all of this!

Jenny,

I am sorry to here this.I have read your other posts and I'm so sorry that you are going through this, it sounds absolutely miserable to say the least...

I'm sorry that I generalized about strictures being easy to fix, it is obviously not in your case.

Thinking of you and your family today.

Take care,

Laura