Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

bruised vertebrea

Hi folks - I bruised a vertabrae in the middle of my back a few days ago after doing some large reps of sit ups on a concrete like surface. Did not realize it was a problem until after the damage was done. :( I will not do that again.

Good news is that it has no real impact on any physical activity except if I am on my back. I can still run, lift, etc during my workout. Bad news is it is very sore on one vertebrae, right in middle of back.

Neither Tylenol or ibuprofen help much even though I tried some high doses. Heat from a therm a care pad helps the most, but I can't wear that most of the day ( in Hawaii doing beach and pool things). I also tried one of those medicated OTC pads that had menthol in it. Did not really help much, just hot and cold sensations.

Your thoughts? Do you know how long it takes for something like this to heal? Any other advise ?

Oh you poor thing.

I don't know if this will work for you but it has for me at times...meditation. I relax, get my breathing right, and focus on nothing but the pain with the intent of shifting it.

I know this is a bit airy fairy, but it has worked for me at times when traditional medicine hasn't.

Not sure about shifting pain. Can I send it to my pinky? Lol.

I will try meditating over my pain, but any other ideas? I am wondering when I can expect my back to get some relief so I can do sit ups again. For now, I need to avoid those but can do everything else.

Would applied ice help more then applied heat in this case?

Aloha :) i wonder if acupuncture could speed healing? There are some excellent practitioners here. If not, then unfortunately you may have to just give it time.

You could do other an work, like lifting your legs, planks etc. lots of way to work all them abs without having to sit up :-)

Yeah, shifting the pain is an odd turn of phrase! Focus on blasting it instead!

Also, hot baths can be good and soothing.

I am pretty good with planks( 2 min average, 5 min max with one leg up) and will continue with them. Killer ab and general core strengthener.

Heh, I survive planks through sheer stubbornness alone!

A bruise is a bruise is a bruise. A collection of blood from broken vessels. Although there isn't a lot you can do, try alternating heat and cold, 20 mins at a time several times a day. A true "bone bruise" can take up to a couple months to heal. If its just the tissue around the vertebrae itself 1-2 weeks and you should feel better. Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks! Crossing my fingers it heals soon. Regardless, still killed my WOD today listed on transformation thread.

Still had trouble with back today (vertebrae bruise).

Did a WOD (workout of day) with cross fit PT (personal trainer) today. We went down the list and then back up the list.

400 m sprint

120 lb squats

30 s side plank

2 min ghd Sit ups AMRAP

30 toe to bar

30 s side plank

2 min ghd Sit ups AMRAP

1 min full plank

90 lb farmer carry

AMRAP=as many reps as possible.

Every 4 minutes , no matter what I was doing, I had to stop and do 5 burpees. That was sort of a wham,

This was so much HIIT!! I was so tired and breathing hard by 1/2 way up the list the my eyes were closed and I failed on the 2nd 2 min ghd situp AMRAP. Just could not get my body back up. Whew!!

Anyways, I was unable to do the feet to toe pull ups so I modified them. Laid on my back and curled my feet up to my head using core strength only, except I could not do it. My spine would not bend. It was sad. Lol. I was not able to do the vups either as they hurt my back. Instead, I did ab mat sit ups . I could do these without back issues.

My PT was nice about it. I said I did not mind working out if it caused superficial pain, but the bruised vertebrae pain was not something I could tolerate. It killed my form so she had me modify as stated above. I shared my transformation idea (see post from me started last week in vet forum) with my PT as I cooled down from the WOD. She thought it was a great idea all around. Psyches me that my PT bought into it.

Sigh- when is this back issue going to get better? It still is a real pain in the vertebrae in the middle of the back. Arg!!

It kind of sucks not being able to do back exercises like the toe to head or the vups. I could do everything else and, furthermore, have worked out hard since this injury every day since last Monday almost 2 weeks ago (not using back).

Please send healing thoughts this way...

I feel your pain :( I fell and butt bumped down a flight of stairs at the beginning of April. X-rays showed nothing broken but holy crap I couldn't walk or sit right for like three weeks. I will say now 6 weeks later, I feel no pain at all. I will be honest I think the Water aerobics and the strength training were good for it. I have heard these type of injuries can last a while so I feel fortunate. I hope you feel better soon!!!!!