Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

multiple sticks for fills?

First of all I was not intending to sound like I was putting you or your Dr.'s way of doing things down. My point was made because I have read many, many posts from people who EAT on the way home from a fill, simply because it was done with fluoro, and they could see that it was not closed off too tight. That may appear that way when the barium flows through in the office, but swelling does occur. And there is no way to tell how much on each patient. There have been numerous threads regarding how much fill, and how they were done, and each persons body reacts differently, and often times they react differently each time you are adjusted...it is not an exact science. Some people swell instantly, others do not even feel the fill kick in for a week. Which is one of the reasons most Dr.'s mine included have a diet plan in place following all adjustments. While this may just seem like common sense to you, I was just making a "blanket statement" warning new bandsters.

The more posts I read, the more concerned I get that many patients are not or do not have the opportunity to discuss ANYTHING with their Dr. Many do not know why they are on liquids following surgery. They ask weeks into being banded what a PB is! It is difficult to just take for granted that all of us bandsters have had any instruction what so ever!

Like was pointed out earlier, most Dr.'s, they said, did not ask how they wanted the fill...the Dr. plans on doing it his usual way, it is something that needs to be discussed before time for the fill!!! YOU paid for the surgery...it is YOUR body.....YOU will be paying for the fill---get it the way YOU want it!

This is a very important issue with the band, as well as an emotional issue, and, one that is very individual. If you will lie awake at night worrying over it, then by all means, have them done in a amanner so you can relax and not worry 24/7. No one should attempt to tell you how to have them done, it should be between you and your Dr.

Kat

Oh Kat, I did not take it as you putting me down at all. I wasnt sure what you meant for sure. I am not banded yet so sometimes i feel Like I should not say something about something I do not know or have experienced yet.

But I do know for me , NOW , being self pay , im going to say i'll follow my docs advice to a T . My doc has you on 3 days liquids, 3 days mushies, 3 days semi solids and 3 days solids after every fill. I have had people tell me " FIND A NEW DOC" just because its not what their doc does. But personally I would rather be safe than sorry , for just the reason you said, everyones body will do something differently .

Like you also said , asking questions is important. Knowing a docs fill policy is important as well. Some feel my docs fill policy is goofy ( the post fill diet) therefore probably would not want to go to him , I find it better to be safe than sorry , so I do not have a problem with it . BUT its better to know before hand than when you go in for a fill.

Also like i said , I may go in have the first fill under flouro and feel its not needed? I wont know until im in those shoes.

But I did not take your post as offensive at all. I hope you did not take mine that way either.

Thanks for your help

Mindy

Anyone that misses a port several times is incompetent, and you should not have them doing your fills. This just doesn't happen to be their area of expertise, take it from a nurse. That's the reason I've decided to pay the extra couple hundred dollars to have mine done under fluoro. I'm very competent with accessing ports in cancer patients, and wouldn't even risk trying to access my own. If my band is pierced, I may go postal.

My doc has you on 3 days liquids, 3 days mushies, 3 days semi solids and 3 days solids after every fill. But personally I would rather be safe than sorry , for just the reason you said, everyones body will do something differently. Mindy

You are so right, it is better to be safe than sorry. A little extra caution doesn't hurt a thing.

You are so right, it is better to be safe than sorry. A little extra caution doesn't hurt a thing.

I think so , It might not be the most popular post fill diet . And honestly im not real thrilled with it . Just another reason to have as few fills as possible lol

Mindy

It took several time to access my port for my first fill. She said I had scar tissue that she was trying to work around. Does that make sense to anybody out there? I thought it did at the time....

It took several time to access my port for my first fill. She said I had scar tissue that she was trying to work around. Does that make sense to anybody out there? I thought it did at the time....

I have heard of scar tissue growing over the port. If it is hard enough, it can break the needle.

Finding the port safely and how much to fill are not the same. Number one I want to feel that the person who is poking around with a needle is guided by a visual picture of my port. Number two I want to feel that there is no way they are going to poke a hole in the tubing. My skin and fat will heal the tubing will not. If my tubing were to be punctured I do not want to be required to pay and suffer the dammages.

I have posponed my first fill untill I was able to get it with a flourscope. The people who did my fill used the flourscope to guide the needle. The tubing was easy to see and I never felt any danger.

The filling was different from finding the port. The fill was also under the flourscope and with a barrium drink. I thought that the fill might have been a little underfill. The restriction was slight at first. I was told that it may be more restrictive on day 2 or 3. On day 2, 3, 4 & 5 it was more restrictive. Not too uncomfortable, but I am glad that the fill was less than I wished for at first.

I am going to have another fill in about 10 days and will report what happens. I am still srinking, almost lost my pants today.

Mine was done with flouroscope too, but not continuously. she would fiddle, then ask for the flouroscope, then fiddle. I didn't get it, but I'll ask for the fluoroscope next time..... It was kind of fun to see the barium go through.....

Don't forget that even with fluoro, and seeing the amount of restriction, that the amount of restriction is very likely to change from what you see. Due to swelling following a fill, movement of the saline withinthe system etc. My SIL had her last fill with fluoro. It was her first refill following complete unfill, and she thought since she could see it, all was well, and ate too soon, she ended up making another trip (our fill Dr. is 6 hours away) and is once again unfilled. Even if you can "See" it, you need to take it easy on your stomach following any adjustment!

Anything to avoid pain!!!!

Kat

I'm so thankful I read your message as I get my FIRST fill this afternoon at 1:00. I'm scared. I'm glad for the info about being careful what I eat. I plan to drink the Protein drinks for a while. I think my Doctor uses Fluro and hope they hit the port with the first stick. I love this website!

Earlene

banded 11/07/06

290.5/272/170

I just returned from my fill Doc and it took him 12 pokes to find my port. The first 8 were without lidocaine. ouchy. It usually only takes him 2-3 times. He finally realized that my port was a bit tilted, so he has to go in kinda sideways with the needle.

Hopefully, my next fill will be easier, knowing that my port is a bit tilted. OMG, I DO NOT want to go through that again!!

Happy holidays to everyone.

one of the advantages of using flouro is the abilty to "see" a tilted port. It is like holding a coin up to look at it. If you tilt the coin the shape that you see changes. The needle can be guided into a tilted port without the searching. The needle may enter your body at an angle to allow for a direct hit on the port.

It is not the pricking hurt that causes me to be conserned (but I am a big cry baby) it is the idea that a misplaced needle may cause a leak.

kwhenrykerr: when I called Fill Center USA in the Tampa/St. Pete area, they told me they did not use flouro. Did that change?

I setup my fill with fillcenterusa.com and they sent me to:

Kathie A. Gonzales

1955 1st Ave N.

St. Petersburg, Florida 33713

phone 727-823-8300

I would call or e-mail fillcenterusa and ask for current info.

Okay, now I'm scared. I don't have my band yet, but needles freak me out, especially when they can't find what their looking for! I don't think my Dr. uses the florascope, should I demand it? My DH asked me today who pays to have it fixed/replaced if the Dr. misses and punctures the tubing, cause it will not be us, it's his mistake. There are so many questions that I have to ask my Dr. Couldn't think of any during my consult. After checking out and listening to others, I now have a huge list.