Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

Staceylca,

Actually 25# is a good weight loss from when you were banded. Dr. C says that in his experience, lower BMI bandsters do lose the weight, but usually only 25 -30# the 1st year, then the rest the second year. The reason some of the other bandsters seem to lose so much more is because they started out weighing so much more. It's different for the lower BMIs....that is why it's good Audree started this thread. Like me for instance, I already was walking, riding a bike, I had a personal trainer at one time, but was still packing on weight because I love to eat. Working out only increased my appetite. Also, I eat pretty healthy, just too much and I have a sweet tooth. The band for me is a way to have Portion Control, to curb my bottomless pit of an appetite. So I will incorporate it into what I was doing before. You said you lost 25# and you're not even following the bandster rules yet, so that's awesome.

Gizmo,

Really think things through before you go to Canada for your lapband. I am a critical care nurse, and with any surgery, it comes down to the skill of the surgeon. There is definitely a learning curve attached to performing any kind of surgery, and the lapband is a relatively new surgery. I researched the lapband for three years before I decided on a surgeon. I chose Dr Rumbaut in Mexico. A lot of people go to Mexico who are self pay go not only for the price, but quite simply, that is where you will find the most experienced surgeons for this procedure. But I do understand you not wanting to go to Mexico because it is far away. So, If I were you, I would seriously look into the surgeons here, ( research the one there in Ohio that Ladyleo is talking about, looks like he has a lot of experience). If you go to the general lapband board, you can put a shout out and let people know you are self pay and looking for an affordable but experienced surgeon in the states, and you will definitely get feedback. What's great about your situation is that even if you have to travel out of Ohio, you have Dr. Curry in Cincinnati who will do your aftercare, as I said before, he comes highly recommended. i would definitely use him if for some reason I could not get back to Mexico. I am not downing Canadian surgeons by any means, I just want this surgery to be as flawless for you as mine has been for me. Of course, any doctor can make mistakes, including Dr Rumbaut, my surgeon. But, I belong to another lapband forum and some of the problems other people are reporting on the boards I am not experiencing. When I look at who did their surgery and look at that surgeon's stats, than I see why. I am 6 weeks out. I have no pain. My scars are healed to the point where only my port site is barely visible, and sometimes I forget I have the band until I eat something solid without chewing it well, then the band reminds me, and I have not had a fill yet. I attribute my success so far to the skill of my surgeon. The after care I realize, is another story. That is why I am going back to Dr Rumbaut for my fills, because you have to be careful about that too. Some people are having to endure multiple sticks, excessive bruising, punctured tubing etc. There is a fill center here in Georgia, but the person who does the fills simply does not have enough experience for me. There are also doctors here who perform WLS, but being an insider, I don't like what I hear. This is my two cents and of course you have support here whatever you decide.

Audree, I want to start South Beach in another week when I can move to mushies.

Anyone have any good ideas for a name for my band. I was thinking of Brandy, but that's too close to Audree's name.

I had a bad day today for the first time. I really wanted to eat. My doc wants four weeks on liquids and I am feeling sorry for myself. It's because a lot of other people can move to mushies after 3 weeks. I am at 3 weeks tomorrow. I am going out with my daughter tomorrow. I am tired of being cooped up in the house. I haven't wanted to be around anyone else eating in front of me. She had gastric bypass. She knows the only thing I can have right now is egg flower Soup. I may fall off the wagon and eat a bite of chicken. I really want to do as my doctor says but I don't see why he thinks he knows more than Dr. Ortiz. Part of me really wants to try really hard to do another week on liquids because I am so afraid I'll stop losing. I don't get a fill until 2-12. I am sure I have no restriction because I can down a can of low carb slim fast in nothing flat. I looked on the can and it's 11 oz.

I don't know what kind of band I have other than my doc said it's medium sized.

It's funny that there isn't a standard price and a standard diet for this. I paid 10,000 but there was lab work that was required not included in that price. It didn't come to much though.

Well I am so glad all of you are here. You are all what is getting me through this!!!!!!!

I was banded the same day as another patient and she is purreeing enchiladas and tamales!!!! A big no no from our nutrionist. I have also heard if you tell them you have low energy and are starving, they may let you add some other foods.

I am getting used to the convenince of liquids. I also have one more week of liquids, so we can do it together! I am sticking to his rules just because i wouldn't want something bad to happen to my Bandy!

Also, I know I will lose weight following his rules. My friend says she is not losing weight, but if you are eating enchiladas, tamales and other high calorie/fat foods, you will not lose because the calories add up.

Hi everyone,

I am on day 7 and feeling much better. Although I think that I am finally less restricted, which stinks b/c I was hoping that I would be one of those that doesn't need a fill for 3,4,5 months. I was aloud to move on to soft foods today, which I was going to try and put off for as long as I could but ended up having a couple of bites of yogurt and oatmeal (splenda and Cinnamon only) because I have had a horrible headach probably due to very low calorie intake (like maybe if lucky 500) and felt fine, I probably only ate a 1/4-1/2 C but didn't even get that lump full feeling like I have in the past with even Soup.

I also just realized that I am the giant amung all of you, most of you are hovering around 5ft while I am a good 6" (really 6"1). My BMI was a 35.5 when I started, I am not going to wiegh myself for the first couple of weeks but can tell that clothes I wasn't comfortable in just a week ago are now comfortable. (which I am sure is mostly Water wieght)

Hope everyone has a good weekend,

Sara

You are going to be a supermodel!!!! Taller is better because you can weigh more and get away with it and still look skinny! I am not weighing either. Some people say they actually gain like 10-15 pounds after surgery from swelling, Water retention, etc and that is one roller coaster I don't want to get on. Also, you gain a little when you go on solids so I think I will gauge by my clothes, which are fitting loser. I will weigh in after I start solids. I would rather be surprised than disappointed.

Audree, I want to start South Beach in another week when I can move to mushies.

Anyone have any good ideas for a name for my band. I was thinking of Brandy, but that's too close to Audree's name.

I had a bad day today for the first time. I really wanted to eat. My doc wants four weeks on liquids and I am feeling sorry for myself. It's because a lot of other people can move to mushies after 3 weeks. I am at 3 weeks tomorrow. I am going out with my daughter tomorrow. I am tired of being cooped up in the house. I haven't wanted to be around anyone else eating in front of me. She had gastric bypass. She knows the only thing I can have right now is egg flower Soup. I may fall off the wagon and eat a bite of chicken. I really want to do as my doctor says but I don't see why he thinks he knows more than Dr. Ortiz. Part of me really wants to try really hard to do another week on liquids because I am so afraid I'll stop losing. I don't get a fill until 2-12. I am sure I have no restriction because I can down a can of low carb slim fast in nothing flat. I looked on the can and it's 11 oz.

I don't know what kind of band I have other than my doc said it's medium sized.

It's funny that there isn't a standard price and a standard diet for this. I paid 10,000 but there was lab work that was required not included in that price. It didn't come to much though.

Well I am so glad all of you are here. You are all what is getting me through this!!!!!!!

Hey I think Brandy is cute!! Bandy and Brandy can be cousins!!

I will start the South Beach Challenge next Saturday. That is when I start solids/mushies. Anyone can jump on in!!!

Staceylca,

Actually 25# is a good weight loss from when you were banded. Dr. C says that in his experience, lower BMI bandsters do lose the weight, but usually only 25 -30# the 1st year, then the rest the second year. The reason some of the other bandsters seem to lose so much more is because they started out weighing so much more. It's different for the lower BMIs....that is why it's good Audree started this thread. Like me for instance, I already was walking, riding a bike, I had a personal trainer at one time, but was still packing on weight because I love to eat. Working out only increased my appetite. Also, I eat pretty healthy, just too much and I have a sweet tooth. The band for me is a way to have Portion Control, to curb my bottomless pit of an appetite. So I will incorporate it into what I was doing before. You said you lost 25# and you're not even following the bandster rules yet, so that's awesome.

You and I sound EXACTLY the same!!! I had a personal trainer too and would eat more because I was burning so much. I would eat healthy too, just too much of it since I am, or was:clap2: a volume eater. I also had a bottomeless pit! Not anymore. Bandy is making sure I get no more than 1 cup at a time even with out a fill! I cant even have more than 1 cup of coffee.

Staceylca,

Stacy, That sounds exactally like me. I love to exercise (yoga, circuit, walking, eliptical, kickboxing, horseback riding) but, boy, it sure stimulates my appetite! I would be very happy to lose like you described 30 this yr and 30 next. That is exciting to me.

I posted another thread about the poor stats for lbs lost, 3 yrs post lap band that has me concerned (How Can This Fail? - general discussion). I must say that these stats have me a bit concerned. Does anyone else have insight into this?

Gizmo,

Really think things through before you go to Canada for your lapband. I am a critical care nurse, and with any surgery, it comes down to the skill of the surgeon. There is definitely a learning curve attached to performing any kind of surgery, and the lapband is a relatively new surgery.

What do you think about a surgeon who has performed only 60 lap bands, but over 800 laproscopic bypass surgeries?

He's about the only option I have - nearby anyway (and by near I mean a 4.5 hour drive - He's the closest).

Sophie248,

I mainly do work with heart patients. So, I work with doctors who are cardiologists. Some are great at doing angioplastys, some are not, some are great at doing cabgs, some are not. The difference being that whoever performs something routinely is obviously going to be better at it than someone who does something on occasion, even though they are both cardiologists. Bypass and lapband are two different procedures. If I were you I would go on the main lapband board and post the surgeons name, (who ever it is you're considering), and see what kind of feedback you get. Look under the post about doctors here...and read the one about Spivak vs Speigel to get a perspective. Any surgeon can come up with a fancy website with testimonials from satisfied customers. That means nothing. The best people to ask when researching which doctor in my opinion is first the nurses who work in that specialty, (because they have access to inside info), and then patients. Since this is a lapband forum, you have easy access to lapband patients, some of who are also nurses. Here, you will hear the good and the bad.

Sophie 248,

Of all the different weighloss surgeries currently on the market, the Lapband is easiest as far as the surgery, but the hardest as far as weightloss. With the lapband, you really have to be willing to put in the work. It sounds like from your previous post, that it will work for you. I know you've probably heard all of this before, but it bears repeating: the lapband is a restrictive device. It is designed to limit the amount of solid food that you can comfortably eat, thus it works best with volume eaters who follow the lapband rules. I have a friend who has opted for the gastric sleeve. She says she does not feel like following rules and having to be bothered with a port. She says that too many "bandsters" come to her doctor's ofc and basically live of off coffee and cigarettes. So it's true there are people who this surgery is not going to work for...bandsters who live off of coffee and cigarettes are keeping their bands too tight and are not going to lose much weight because their bodies will kick into starvation mode, besides that if you keep the band too tight there is a greater chance it will slip. Bandsters who don't follow the eating plan-solid Protein first, veggies, carbs, stop when full, no drinking with meals, are also not going to lose much weight because they are eating around the band. The band is just a restrictive device around the stomach giving you a smaller pouch so that the vagal nerve can be stimulated when you fill the pouch, which gives you satiety. This then enables you to eat less, thus Portion Control, thus less calories in, more calories burned (If you exercise), thus weight loss. I suspect people who are not losing any weight are either not following the bandster way of life or possibly have some underlying health issue that is not allowing them to lose. In either case, weight loss with the band is slow, especially with active low BMI folks such as ourselves. But I would much rather work with the band than have 95% of my stomach removed, as my friend has opted.

Hi Stacey,

Who does your fills? Do you live in Texas by any chance?

I was banded by Dr. Rodriguez as well. He was great!!!!!

I live in Katy and I drive to Bryan Tx (spelled wrong) I think its call WELL SPRINGS DR. Stephin. is her name and I pay 200.0 a fill.

Hi Audree,

I've read alot of your posts and sounds like you're doing great and am really inspired by you!

So.....here's my dilemma, and I'd really like to hear your feedback:

I've been on the diet rollercoaster like most that have decided to finally get the band. The issue is that I've never hit over 200 lbs, and most people I know do not think I'm obese at all. Ever since I hit my 30's and had my second son, and had back surgery 4 years ago, the weight has piled on, and my metabolism has definately slowed down! I've tried every diet possible....Nutrisystem, Atkins, SouthBeach, etc, etc! The most I've ever lost on any of these is 25 lbs., and then of course I can't keep it up and I go back to my old ways and gain the weight back and then some +++. I love, love, love to eat! It's the only social thing I get to do when I'm at work all day and go out to lunch with the girls. Since becoming a single mom of 2, I don't have time to go out and date much (& plus I don't want to since I don't like the way I look and feel)......and so.....I turn to the refrig, and bad Snacks when I'm not busy with my kids. During the holidays, I got up to bout 180 lbs, and now I'm back down to 170-175 (varies). I'm 5"5"....so my BMI isn't too extreme, but besides the fact that of course I want to look good and slim down, my mom is extremely overweight and has diabetes, highblood pressure, and other health problems, and my dad has had heart problems and a quadruple bypass. I want to do something about my weight issues now, while I'm still young, and before I even experience the same issues that my parents have. As mentioned above, I did have back surgery about 4 years ago, and now that my weight has increased over the years, my back is aching more and more as well.

I actually already have my surgery scheduled with Dr. Ortiz for February 9th, but am sooooo scared that I'm not making the right decision.

I keep going over it in my mind constantly and think that maybe I should really try yet another diet to loose the extra 45/50 lbs that I've gained over the past 5 years. I'm also scared that I won't be able to stay away from food. I love different flavors, the taste of good food, going out with my friends and family and eating. Plus, I haven't told anyone in my family that I'm going to do this. I know they would think I'm crazy to go to Mexico and get this done...they would definately not be supportive. My best friend is the only one who knows and she is coming with me to my surgery. I just wonder if I should give dieting once last ditch effort?

Also, It is so hard for me to get time off of work. I only took the Friday off for my surgery and plan to go back to work that Monday. I wonder if I'll physically and mentally be able to get through work on a day to day basis especially being on the liquid diet for the first 4-6 weeks. Then I have to go home and still deal with my boys after work, which is going to be very difficult on my own.

I'm just soooo scared if this is all worth it!

Mindy

Also, It is so hard for me to get time off of work. I only took the Friday off for my surgery and plan to go back to work that Monday. I wonder if I'll physically and mentally be able to get through work on a day to day basis especially being on the liquid diet for the first 4-6 weeks. Then I have to go home and still deal with my boys after work, which is going to be very difficult on my own.

I'm just soooo scared if this is all worth it!

Mindy

Hi Mindy, I am not Audree, but I had my surgery in Mexico on a Thursday, came back home on Saturday and went to work on Monday. I was a bit tired, but was fine. I sit at a desk, so it wasn't a problem. I would suggest not going to lunch with the others during your liquids time. It was hard for me to watch others eat when I am only drinking.

As far as not telling anyone else. You have my vote. I told people, and wish now that I hadn't. I am doing very well, but I honestly get tired of repeating myself to people that just don't understand what I am going through. "Should you eat that?" "How much weight have you lost now?" etc..... I know they mean well, but it gets old.

I wish you the best. I know you "only" have 50 pounds or so, but you still suffer like the rest of us. Overweight is overweight. Even if you are a lower BMI person.

Keep posting and let us know how you are doing. We really do care.

julestwu, Did you like Dr. rodrigueze Did you get the Jhonson&Jhonson band? I heard that is what he uses, they sound like they would be good. I talked to a girl on the phone today, she said there not as ridgid as the other one . Now I dont know Just repeated what she said. I was gonna go with Dr. Ortiz but, I think I'll use Dr rodrigues If I can spell it. Hes alil cheaper.

Audree Do I need to get the south beach diet book, That happens to be one diet I havnt tried lol. Ive probally wasted my money on the rest. I will try it with all youaall see what I cant loose before.I havnt been exercizing or nothing lately but I might start walking on my tredmill at least.