Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 12 days post op, and 12 lbs down. I am walking, tracking Protein (70 grams a day) and getting my 64 oz in each day. I haven't lost a lb in 5 days, and to make matters worse, I got on the scale this morning and GAINED 2 lbs. I am so depressed. I can't be the only person on earth who got sleeved and it didn't work!

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas on how to break this are greatly appreciated.

You are not alone! I was sleeved 12 days ago (April 9), and am having the same problem. Stalled for three days, lost a pound, then this morning found that I gained a pound! How does someone gain a pound on under 600 calories??!!! (yes, I have tracked everything I put in my mouth!)

I am over 60 gms Protein a day, over 70 ozs Fluid a day.

Only thing I can figure is that I'm in the stage where some carbs are added back in in the form of dairy, and maybe that's causing Water retention?? (still under 60gms carbs, though)

I am still 10 lbs down from surgery, but it's pretty disheartening to have a gain so soon!

No you're not the only one. If you're doing everything right, then it's just Water you're retaining. Your measurements are probably still going down. Usually when I hit a stall, I increase my calories and water. Even if I don't hit a stall, I randomly increase my calories for a day and I also increase my exercise (walking). I try not to do it the same day of the week, so my body doesn't get into a routine. Also try searching on "stalls". You will find this is normal and you will also find explanations of stalls. Good luck with breaking it.

It is perfectly normal to have a stall in your 2nd to 3 rd week post op. Many folks have them, so don't get disheartened. It seems to come from your body adjusting to the radical changes that have been made to it. Also note that the scale is not the best way to measure how your doing post op, you need to look at measurements and how you feel as well to get a good feel for how things are going. Good Luck.

The first thing you should do...is relax. The second thing is to throw out your scales and stop weighing everyday (or every other) and expecting to see a 5 lb loss every time. You bodies are going through some radical changes and is doing everything it can to hold on to as much energy (fat) as it possibly can. Keep on track with what you are doing, remember that the Fluid intake is a non-negotiable item. Watch the carb intake, make sure you are tracking your sodium intake as well. A lot of foods that are okay during the early stages of post op are full of sodium (soups and stocks for example, sports drinks etc.) Take a deep breath and focus on getting to the next phase of your post op. The weight will come off, but everyone is built differently, so your loss may be slow or it may be faster depending on your body type, physical activity and how compliant your are with your diet. It will happen but not overnight, so patience is the key.

Thanks so much everyone for the advice! I appreciate the support tremendously!

I just got out of my stall, so keep calm and know that this will pass. I lost inches while I was waiting for my stall to end. Make sure you measure. I stalled from Week 3-6. I am now down 2 lbs. I am so happy its ended and relieved that it is just a phase. Stay on track and keep pushing forward!!!

I had made a blog post very similar to this a while back, and someone posted the following link to help me understand what is going on: http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.html

It really made a lot of sense to me, and helped me get through it. In my first month, I had a 5 day stall, and a 9 day stall, and still lost over 30 lbs. I'm now 6 weeks post-op and I've lost 45 lbs. It will come off, it has to. It just doesn't come off evenly or in a straight line. There will be periods where your body has to re-calibrate itself. The day after my 5 day stall, I lost 5 lbs overnight, and the day after the 9 day stall I lost 2 lbs overnight followed by a lb a day for 4 or 5 days after that. Just try to stay positive. I know I got a bit discouraged, I just went through major surgery and expected results overnight. But now that I look back 6 weeks later, it feels like 45 lbs DID come off overnight.

Thanks for posting this n for all the great responses n motivation. I was sleeved on 4/1 I will be 3wks post op tomorrow and I've stalled big time I weigh my self every sat morning n on 4/6 I had lost 11.5 lbs on sat 4/13 I only lost 1.5 lbs n yesterday 4/20 I gained a pound n I was feeling sooo bummed n depressed bcuz I'm really following my diet too. I also added my exercise in my routine last wk. I hope I get over this ASAP

Thanks for all the responses

I think it's important to remember that we need to be open minded and not have to much expectation on how much and how fast. At 4 weeks post op I am down 32 lbs. to me that is a miracle that I was able to loose 28 lbs in 21 days. It took me a week to loose the other 4 lbs. I have been in a little stall but not concerned. I set mini goals so I have something to feel accomplished. 30 was my first goal. When I feel myself get impatient, I have to think about all the times I tried to loose wight prior to surgery. It could take me a whole year to loose 30 lbs and I literally felt like I melted 30lbs over night. I am excited to continue to lose and I know that it will happen.