Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 weeks post VSG - Hungry but can't eat - Help!

I had my VSG 6 weeks ago. Everything has been going great, no pain, not much appetite, OK with the liquid diet. But ever since I started to introduce solids, I have been very frustrated. I find that I can only eat a few small bites of solids. I don't feel full right away and if I don't stop after a few bites, the fullness creeps in and makes me super uncomfortable. I force myself to stop eating after just those few bites and then I wait. By 15 minutes I become overwhelmingly FULL! That would be great if I felt satiated, but I am not! I feel like I am starving. I thought that the whole purpose of this procedure was that it not only provided a smaller stomach, so less room for food, but that it made our appetites smaller, so that less food was more satisfying. Please someone tell me that this is normal and that the satisfaction with less food will come? I am very very frustrated and feel like I have made a big mistake...

For most (but apparently not all!) people it reduces physical hunger because it takes away the major producer of grehlin in the body, the fundus of the stomach. However, grehlin is still produced in much smaller amounts elsewhere in the body, and could affect you. Additionally, it does Absolutely NOTHING for head hunger. That's something many people have to fight. I know I used to fight it a lot when on a strict diet - I would be physically full of vegetables and some Protein, but I wanted MORE. I wasn't satisfied with what I had eaten, even though I doubt I could have eaten another bite.

Other possibilities - excessive acid in the stomach can mimic the sensation of hunger. If you aren't taking a PPI, it might be worth seeing if something like that would help.

If you're reacting to your stomach making growling noises, some people report that their stomachs do that regularly, full or not, after the surgery.

Just some thoughts based on all the research I've been doing pre-surgery - maybe some of it will help!

Thanks SpaceDust/Sleeve Guru:

I don't think this is head hunger. Before my surgery, as with all my previous diets, I would religiously eat three square high Protein meals a day. As long as I stuck to my schedule (ie ate every 4 hrs) and kept it to about 1000 calories a day, I'd lose weight, fast! From 1/1/13 to 2/28/13 (surgery date) I lost 30 lbs. But most importantly, I would get enough Protein and fill with vegetables and fruit and I wouldn't get head hungry. Now if I eat solids, I can only eat so little that I really feel like I am protein starved. It is the same feeling I would get when I was dieting and not getting enough protein. I do have stomach acid, but am taking Nexium. I am familiar with that acid feeling and the growling and don't think that is the source of my hunger. I buy in/bought in to the ghrelin theory and am hoping that it has yet to kick in for me. Or maybe my stomach needs to heal some more to accept a little more food so that I can get some more protein in my body...? Wonder if any one else knows if this is just still part of the adjustment process?

Thanks for your help

When i first started on solids i could eat half of 1 egg, and it kept me full for hours. I could only eat maybe 2 bites of food before i was full. Not satisfied, which is more a mental state of being, but my stomach was full and i was no longer empty feeling. As the weeks progress you will be able to eat more than just those few bites. But in the mean time it is very frustrating, because those few bites don't make you feel satisfied. Again that is the head hunger speaking. But what you have described sounds pretty normal, from the posts i've read and my own experience of reintroducing solid foods.

From what you are describing, it all sounds normal. In the beginning I could not get much solids down, so I would eat what I could and move on. Was I satisfied, absolutely not. Was I full for the time being yes. Whenever I felt hungry (which I did alot). I would eat what was on my plan. I would say I ate 4 to 6 small meals a day, again all within the plan. Now, its much easier to get the solids (3 mons post op) down. I am doing very well with my sleeve. Give it time you will see a big difference at your 3 month mark.. Good Luck!

Thanks everyone for the input!