Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi fellow tubby teddy’s (or ex tubby teddies). I am desperately trying to find the name of a surgeon who is either a professor or associate professor in the Melbourne suburbs who does bariatric surgery. We saw him a few years ago and want to go ahead with the surgery. He works from a private hospital in the East suburbs (I think).

If no one can help, who is the most recommended (and experienced) surgeon in Victoria. Everyones help would be much appreciated as it is for my wife and I am worried enough about her getting the surgery without being concerned whether the surgeon is good or not. I don’t want a best friend, I want the best surgeon. Thankyou every so much for your help

Hi, Did the Surgeon work at Monash Medical Centre? Mr Stephen Blamey is the Head of Gastroenterology at Monash Medical Centre, he is my Bariatric Surgeon, He has done 2 x Lapbands and a Gallbladder removal for me and I am booked into Cabrini Hospital for a 'Sleeve' on 29th April.

I made the foolish mistake of seeing one of the younger 'new breed' Surgeons to have my Lapband removed and that proved to be a very costly exercise both financially and emotionally.

Stephen is very direct, he doesn't use a lot of the 'bells and whistles' that the younger Surgeons use , like Psychologists, Dietitians, Physicians but he is one of the most experienced Surgeons in Melbourne. Mr Blamey's rooms are in Blackburn Rd; Mt Waverley and the phone number is: 9887 8530. If you are looking for the 'best' Surgeon in Melbourne rather than the one with the flashiest website then Mr Blamey is the surgeon your wife should see.

I am a Registered Nurse, so I expect nothing less than the very best care from my Health practitioners.

Also, those of us that need to have this surgery prefer to be called 'sleevers' or 'pre sleevers' or simply ask the question without reference to our anonymity, you may find that you offend people by referring to them as 'tubby teddies'.

There is a thread in this forum called Attention! Australian Sleevers and they have a wealth of sleeve information.

Also,there are two very good FB pages called 'Gastric Sleevers Australia' or 'Sleeve Support Group', they are both 'secret' groups so you have to be invited or approved by the Admin people of both groups...they have a wealth of knowledge about the 'sleeve' which may allay some of your anxiety about your wife's decision to have surgery.

Please feel free to 'private message' me or let me know if you want to join the FB pages and I can invite you into both of them.

I wish your wife every success with her decision to have this surgery and look forward to her sharing her journey if she wants to in one of the forums.

Best Wishes

one_elle26

Thanks one_elle26. It was not this Doctor so I found out but based on your recommendation, my wife has made an appointment to see him in a couple of weeks. He is overseas at the moment. Oops...no more "tubby teddies". Your advice is ever so much appreciated. My wife is not too flash on computers and forums but I will encourage her too. Thanks again

My pleasure!!! I am happy to give you my phone number if your wife wants to chat to someone? I live in Mornington and am retired these days, so I do have time on my hands.

With those FB forums we do have 'partners' who join and ask questions for their partners and share 'success' stories and pics on their behalf.

If FB is not your or your wife's preference, then please find the 'Attention! Australian Sleevers' thread here because there are some wonderful people on that thread and they will provide accurate information and lots of valuable support as this is major surgery and having someone who understands the 'ups and downs' really helps. There are even a couple of 'blokes' there!!!! LOL

Stephen Blamey can't be away for too long because he is doing my Sleeve op on the 29th April !!!!!! :) What date is your wife's appointment?

I look forward to catching up with you soon.

One_elle26 (aka Michele)

Thanks ever so much Michele. Her appointment is 24th April so you are safe for your surgery. I would love to get your phone number but best you do it through a PM which I dont know how to do. my email is fam.pet@bigpond.com if you ant to do it through he email. Are you nervous about your op?..Your retired....you are probably in out age bracket (ageing gracefully- 4 days of 51!!!). We both wish you the very best with your op. IS there a way that I can be notfiied when you put a post on this site so we can monitor all of your progress? Like my wife...I am not a computer guru either.

I asked my wife about Facebook but it would give identity away (photos,names etc) which she does not want. I tried to tell her that there is no need to keep it all quiet ...the rich have life long facelifts to keep them looking good...this is not different other than it is a more worthwhile reason...your health. She is not ready to "come out" yet so unfortunately FB my not be an option. We are in a high profile business whee we live and even if I went on FB, sure as night follows day...someone would recognize us. never mind

Hi, I have sent you an email with my phone number. At the very least please find the Aussie thread in this forum, because it is 'confidential' and you can remain anonymous using "BeardedBurbler' as your ID.

To find the thread go to the top of the page and put Attention ! Australian Sleevers in the 'Search box' and it should take you there. Your identity will be safe there I promise.

Hopefully I will see you there or I will speak to you soon.

Best Wishes

Michele

Hi, I'm in Gippsland and just considering having a sleeve, going to see CWS in Hawthorn, has anyone been or heard of them. I'm also just getting the hang of the site ( not very computer savvy !! )