Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BIG FAT PEOPLE!

Maybe they are not food addicts, It may be their THYROID!! :P Yeah I see that qiute often "I dont have a problem with food" It's sort of like the BMI thing. "I am not as fat as the other person, my BMI is 40 and hers is a 55"

I can totally understand where you are coming from on both sides. I would never say I don’t have a food addiction or emotional response with food. However, I have been very diligent with diets and exercise numerous times and had such poor results, I didn’t have it in me to keep it going. I had a trainer for a very long time and followed a very strict diet set by a nutritionist and after several months the trainer told me that there was just no point in continuing because I had only lost 3 pounds and clearly wasn’t trying. I had worked so hard and it was so devastating, food addiction here I come.

Although I won't deny that I eat more than I should and the sleeve will help with that, my biggest problem is my love of rich foods. I am working on that, so that rich dishes like mac n cheese are a very small side dish and an occasional treat rather than the main star of a weekly meal. I'm also finding healthier versions of some of these foods that will satisfy without breaking the caloric bank.

Thankfully, I don't have to work on a huge sweet tooth at the same time - I enjoy an occasional sweet treat but I can totally skip them even when my husband and or friends are indulging!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using VST

lol Nice topic. I my friend can not help you with an answer, I am like you ADDICT!! I also do my best work at night alone. On top of addiction I also can throw in emotional eater. I hope those staples they put in me are tight. lol Just kidding . I am hoping once I start to loose weight it will all finally click for me . How is it being a food addict and not being able to eat? Is it getting easier with the sleeve? I hope im one of those people that just dont feel hungry. I can only pray, you have great weightloss so you must be doing ok with it. Btw JUST1GIRL, I am so jealous I have been jumping through hoops taking days off work to still have to wait for May !st for last visit then they have to submit everything .....and then I will get a date, so over this waiting already. Been going on since Dec 4. UGHH

Did I get your attention??? :P

Ok' date=' curiosity... when I answer posts here, I am always coming from a perspective of a "food addict"

But many times I have people write back...

"But I don't have an addiction to food"

Which I always think to myself YEAH RIGHT!

Don't beat me up I'm being honest!!

What can I say I'm pessimistic, I also laugh when people say they don't eat TO MUCH so they don't understand how the are fat.. I AM FAT BECAUSE I EAT LIKE A PIG (alone mostly)

Today I thought about, "what if I'm wrong?"

I mean...I am me and I am addicted, how do I know how the next person is???

I'm curious as an addicted fat person how is it for those of you who are not addicted?

Oh and on a side note if I am wrong, then I'm also jealous because I would give anything not to have this problem (addiction)[/quote']

Lol luv your posts! Professionally speaking.... Not everyone who is fat has a true food addiction -- however ... Almost all do- its pretty impossible to get to a size of around 300 and not........ Maybe if its someone in the high 100s to low 200s--- but... If we resorted to wls... And nothing else truly worked.... Why??? If your not a true addict then a reg diet like ww should have been sufficient or easier then it is for an addict.... Like me..... I'm stefanie and I'm a food addict

:)

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I can totally understand where you are coming from on both sides. I would never say I don’t have a food addiction or emotional response with food. However, I have been very diligent with diets and exercise numerous times and had such poor results, I didn’t have it in me to keep it going. I had a trainer for a very long time and followed a very strict diet set by a nutritionist and after several months the trainer told me that there was just no point in continuing because I had only lost 3 pounds and clearly wasn’t trying. I had worked so hard and it was so devastating, food addiction here I come.

Currently I am taking a class to become a certified personal trainer. I have had a trainer for 4 years. She trained me when I was fat and trained me while I lost weight after surgery, I still train with her. A trainer telling you that there in no point in continuing is not someone who should be training. What a terrible thing to say, I'm sorry you went through that!

I am interested in hearing replies to this because I also have a hard time understanding how people can be obese and not have a food addiction. I'm not talking about those very few who have a health problems that make it almost impossible to lose weight.

*stands up

My name is Kristine and I am a recovering food addict

*sits down

I am NOT in denial and I feel sorry for those who can't admit they have a problem BEFORE wls. Waiting to overcome your denial makes the weight loss journey much more difficult..

Kuddos to you Laura... We're on the same page

Yeah I should of left out the part about being fat and having health issues that make it hard to lose weight ..

I've had the same primary care physician for 20+ years (rare in this day and age). I have an uncle who is a world renowned geneticist whose specialty is diabetes and obesity. I've managed to get the two of them in the same room on several occasions and the discussion and debate on this very issue is always evolving and ongoing.

One of the things my PCP realized that kind of swayed him away from the "it's all diet and exercise" opinion was a lunch he had with one of the trainers for the Seattle Seahawks. As he pointed out there are 300+ pound NFL linemen that spend 5 to 8 hours a day in the gym 300 days a year. They eat relatively healthy and far less calories than the average Olympic swimmer. Yet they remain technically, morbidly obese. The diet and exercise argument wouldn't put them that large if entirely true.

Yes some people have a very unhealthy relationship with food, it's one of many causes, but not the only cause. I think the reality is more of a blended issue. Many people fall into the category of not always eating the best, not always exercising optimally and having genetic issues and or a metabolism that is seriously dysfunctional. No one cause and no one solution outside more drastic measures like surgery.

I was one of those people that didn't battle weight most of my life. I graduated high school at 145lbs at 6'1". I was teased for being too skinny. I graduated high school and started going to the gym daily while taking weight gain shakes. I was working as a grocery store meat cutter which was a very, very physically intensive job throwing around 200lb boxes of meat all day. We worked in shirt sleeves in a 35 degree room. I think that cold temperature and the calories we needed to stay warm is what messed me up. But it didn't help that I got myself from 145lbs to 250lbs in 2 years. It was all muscle and I was built like a professional gym rat. But 6 days a week in those work conditions played a role.

Went to back to school, got a degree in technology and a desk job, wife and kids and went to the gym once a week instead of twice a day. Weight crept up, muscle disappeared and a few years later found myself getting sleeved and turning this around.

But then I look at my wife. 5'10" 135 lbs, size 6. She has out eaten me every single day we've been married (20+ years) and is within 5lbs of the size she was when we got married. Never exercises ever, eats crap, candy etc. If it were all diet and exercise she'd be 500lbs.

So you would say that you don't have an addiction?

No, I'm addicted, no question. I eat too much of inappropriate foods for the pleasure it brings. I would say that my addictive element is only slighty emotional - I don't generally seek food for comfort, for example, and I don't eat more when I'm upset or when I'm happy. I also have to be careful about eating out of boredom or habit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using VST

I have a thyroid issue that makes it harder to lose weight but that's not how I became obese! If I had not worked out so much when I was fat I would have been a lot bigger than I was. How can you be almost 300 pounds and not be addicted to food? To me being addicted to food and being an emotional eater is the same thing. Maybe it's really not, but, in my mind it goes hand and hand.